BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

03-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
brupaul22
brupaul22
Rep

Drives: 2004 white infiniti g35 coupe

Anyone drivin both the E46 and E92 M3?

Just wanted to see if anyone has drivin both and I wanted to know how much more powerful and faster the E92 is. Forget all these 0 to 60 times cause obviously nobody has an accurate number as I've seen them ranging from 4.1 to 4.7 for the E92.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
markjenz
Private
Rep

Drives: m3 e92 mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by brupaul22 View Post
Just wanted to see if anyone has drivin both and I wanted to know how much more powerful and faster the E92 is. Forget all these 0 to 60 times cause obviously nobody has an accurate number as I've seen them ranging from 4.1 to 4.7 for the E92.
the e92 has more punch...1st gear is very impressive if the tyres are warm...but on the other hand you have the weight...

you all know the test figures which are much better than those of the e46...but as the new m3 also offers more comfort, you don't "feel" the speed like you did in the old car...

between 100 and 200 km/h i do not feel big difference....towards top speed there is! in the old car you got easily to 280 km/h then acceleration was very tiny..
in the new you get easy to 300-310 km/h before the punch weakens...
      03-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

E46 v E92 - my impressions

Folks

I owned the E46 for 4.5 years from new and have had the E92 since Sep last year. Both MT. My view is similar to the previous response. The car is heavier and therefore rides a little smoother. My E92 has EDC also and this does help with ride quality. In terms of outright performance, I'd estimate that the E92 is probably at least half a second quicker to 60mph. You really feel the difference at high revs (6000+), where the exhaust takes on a harder edge and the car really flies.

Handling is similar, but I do notice the extra weight and size. My car is just over 7k miles up now and has loosened up considerably in the last couple of thousand miles. My E46 didn't really loosen up properly till over 12k miles, so there may be a little more to come. I sold my E46 with 88k miles on it and it was still as quick as ever.

DC
Appreciate 0