BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #45
sajakh
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

In my humble opinion, on the track, the M3 will be better than modded 335i, No doubt.

However, in 99.9% of real life driving a safe driver would do, the M3 will be the same as the modded 335i!!

For the extra $13-15K youre paying for the M badge, the track driving better be worth it. Otherwise you're wasting your money.


BMW, I applaud you for the masterful M badge marketing, because most of your M3 buyers will be badge whores.
sajakh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #46
Patricius
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

The 335i is a fantastic car, but it will never be an M. It is an infant in the shadow of a legend.
Patricius is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #47
Ronno111
Private First Class
 
Ronno111's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 MB E63S-AMG/ 2014 X5 50i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
That's the point, genius. My loaded 335i cost me $49,500 + $1,400 for the PROcede v2...far less than a similarly equipped stock E92 M3 (~$65-$70k). Even if you add my other mods, it's stll far less. Look at my sig for how fast my car is, and I'm nowhere near the fastest 335i out there.

Once again, please do NOT misunderstand me...I am in no way saying a modded 335i is better than an E90/92 M3; just most likely a better bang for your buck....that's it. Like I've said before, I will go test drive the (M-DCT) E92 M3, but if it doesn't "WOW" me, then I will most likely stay with the 335i and transfer my PROcede v2, wheels/tires, etc. My priorities are mainly in straight out speed and performance (with decent handling) and high technology...HP/TQ, Stereo, Navi system, Active Cruise Control, etc.; I don't necessarily feel I have to pay extra for "the entire package" of an M3...different strokes for different folks.
PROCEDE? YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY -VOID- WHO IS THE GENIUS NOW?

p.s. A bone stock 335i with only procede will never turn a head. The mods I am talking about are DINAN flash, the M-Tech kit and 19" aftermarket rims/tires and new black window trim to get rid of that disgusting chrome sh&%. These mods will cost you $6.5k+. Just get an M3 at that rate. Better yet, don't. Too many M's on the road they begin to lose their uniqueness and exclusivity.
__________________

CURRENTLY: 2014 MB E63AMG-S, CF package loaded, Weistec 725hp ECU on order, Dado downpipes; 2014 BMW X5 50i ||| FORMERLY: 2008 E60 M5 ||| 2011 X5 50i, ECU upgrade to 485hp, LOADED ||| 2009 BMW 335xi, jb4 map5, downpipes, spings, etc. |||
Ronno111 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #48
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajakh View Post
In my humble opinion, on the track, the M3 will be better than modded 335i, No doubt.

However, in 99.9% of real life driving a safe driver would do, the M3 will be the same as the modded 335i!!

For the extra $13-15K youre paying for the M badge, the track driving better be worth it. Otherwise you're wasting your money.


BMW, I applaud you for the masterful M badge marketing, because most of your M3 buyers will be badge whores.
When I think about my life, the people with which I work and my friends I doubt "badge whores" would ever arise as a topic of conversation or interest. Does that guide you and help your life?

Seems really silly. Maybe you are much younger than me.
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #49
sajakh
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
When I think about my life, the people with which I work and my friends I doubt "badge whores" would ever arise as a topic of conversation or interest. Does that guide you and help your life?

Seems really silly. Maybe you are much younger than me.
As always, the truth is usually much less apparent on the surface. I don't know you or your friends but in this topic of comparing an M3 vs 335i. I would surmise that most people (>50%) buy an M3 solely for its badge, thereby constituting a "badge whore". Sadly, in life there are many instances of this. Again, my opinion.
sajakh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #50
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajakh View Post
As always, the truth is usually much less apparent on the surface. I don't know you or your friends but in this topic of comparing an M3 vs 335i. I would surmise that most people (>50%) buy an M3 solely for its badge, thereby constituting a "badge whore". Sadly, in life there are many instances of this. Again, my opinion.
Worrying about that just seems to be a waste of a good life. I deal with life and death all day so spending time worrying about a badge whore and whether my car choice makes me one just isn't going to happen. To each his own.
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #51
Saturn
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 177
iTrader: (0)

Simple fact: 335 owners got a great car with a fantastic engine at a reasonable price. M3 buyers want something more: better track performance, better handling, etc etc.

All of these 335 vs M3 comparisons fail to account for one thing. When you purchase an M3, you get a **Package** Thus you cannot compare a 335 in this arena unless it is BONE STOCK. ANY mods done to the car remove it from the arena of a car/dollar comparison.

Once again, a 335 is a fantastic car at a great value for what you get. What the 335 owners need to get into their heads, instead of becoming defensive about M3 owners rightfully being proud of the purchase they have made is this:

The 335 is a great package, but SO IS THE M3. You pay a bit, you get a great package of performance, looks, etc (the 335) if you pay a bit more, you GET A BIT MORE: M3.
Saturn is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #52
sajakh
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Worrying about that just seems to be a waste of a good life. I deal with life and death all day so spending time worrying about a badge whore and whether my car choice makes me one just isn't going to happen. To each his own.
No, my friend, this issues are the least of my worries. I just hope to contribute to this discussion. Since you mentioned life and death, I can assume you are in the medical profession as well. Life is too short to worry about these frivolous things but sure does make life more interesting.
sajakh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #53
sajakh
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Simple fact: 335 owners got a great car with a fantastic engine at a reasonable price. M3 buyers want something more: better track performance, better handling, etc etc.

All of these 335 vs M3 comparisons fail to account for one thing. When you purchase an M3, you get a **Package** Thus you cannot compare a 335 in this arena unless it is BONE STOCK. ANY mods done to the car remove it from the arena of a car/dollar comparison.

Once again, a 335 is a fantastic car at a great value for what you get. What the 335 owners need to get into their heads, instead of becoming defensive about M3 owners rightfully being proud of the purchase they have made is this:

The 335 is a great package, but SO IS THE M3. You pay a bit, you get a great package of performance, looks, etc (the 335) if you pay a bit more, you GET A BIT MORE: M3.
Agree, 100%. +1. BUT, only if this "package" allows you to explore its merits on the street. I would argue that this package doesn't.

On the track, even with mods on the 335i up the wazoo, the M3 will still reign over most cars even some so called sport cars.
sajakh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #54
carnuts3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 535i
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
M3, 335i, 330i, 328i, 325i......9 out of 10 people wouldn't know the difference.
That's what I'm hoping for....don't want to be harassed at every traffic light by those young twits in their over-blown Honda's. I want to be left alone in my M3 bliss.
carnuts3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #55
spike357
Private First Class
 
spike357's Avatar
 
Drives: The 1st 2008 e92 M3 in NV
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
I just got my new M3 yesterday. I also have an 06 330i, and have driven a friends 335i. It is not a fair comparison. The cars have completely different personalities. The 335 is an absolutely fantastic car, but all the mods in the world will not make it sound like that v8. It makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.
spike357 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #56
Keto
Major
 
Keto's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N'awlins

Posts: 1,486
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
An M3 modder over at Roadfly, Meem, had an amazing modded E46 that he kept *pristine*. Crazy detail work, gorgeous. He also had an Audi TT which he stated attracted way more attention from women.

My cousin is twentysomething and she asks me why guys look at my E46 ... "I thought it was just a BMW."

Buying this car (M3, 335, whatever) to attract interest doesn't work unless you're trying to attract male car nuts.
__________________
Redelivered: 2015 F80 M3 SO/SO MT, picked up at Welt 7/1/2014, dropped off in Antwerp 7/11, picked up again at my dealer 8/26
Keto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #57
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajakh View Post
No, my friend, this issues are the least of my worries. I just hope to contribute to this discussion. Since you mentioned life and death, I can assume you are in the medical profession as well. Life is too short to worry about these frivolous things but sure does make life more interesting.
That's
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #58
malter2.0
Banned
 
Drives: em-funf
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 908
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Put it in simple, logical, polite, eloquent, biased, open, spontaneous way:

M3 is not 3-series
M3 handles better
M3 brakes better
M3 is quicker and faster than proceded and downpiped 335i
M3 will make modded 335i look like it is going backwards on a hot, humid day
M3 will not worry about things like shaft play at 70k miles
M3 will not worry about boost leaks
M3 will depreciate less
M3 is more unique
M3 badge is prettier, has more heritage and sexiness and 3-series badge
M3 will pull ass like NFL player in a crackhouse

I drive an M3 will always sound better than I drive a 3-series

Best part, even if you clone us, you still fail at WBSB part of the VIN#

Basically 335i is 500% inferior to M3 in every single respect. At the end of the day one you have a modded 3-series, not an M3. It can be 870rwp (albeit going to one skinnier wheel) 3-series. At the end of day two you will still gawk at us jealously as we pass you going 77mph in 65mph. You know...one of those lazy, slow overtakes, that tells you real ones (insert word from Geto Boys song) don't flex nuts. Same way like E36 M3 looks at E46 M3 as it passes by, as 5-series looks at M5, and as every BMW looks at E30 M3 as it goes by.

Stop arguing. We are better. We are ultra biased and proud of it. Nothing you say will change this. Ever. Game over.



/thread
malter2.0 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #59
sajakh
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajakh View Post
BMW, I applaud you for the masterful M badge marketing, because most of your M3 buyers will be badge whores.
My point exactly!! Kudos to BMW!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
Put it in simple, logical, polite, eloquent, biased, open, spontaneous way:

M3 is not 3-series
M3 handles better
M3 brakes better
M3 is quicker and faster than proceded and downpiped 335i
M3 will make modded 335i look like it is going backwards on a hot, humid day
M3 will not worry about things like shaft play at 70k miles
M3 will not worry about boost leaks
M3 will depreciate less
M3 is more unique
M3 badge is prettier, has more heritage and sexiness and 3-series badge
M3 will pull ass like NFL player in a crackhouse

I drive an M3 will always sound better than I drive a 3-series

Best part, even if you clone us, you still fail at WBSB part of the VIN#

Basically 335i is 500% inferior to M3 in every single respect. At the end of the day one you have a modded 3-series, not an M3. It can be 870rwp (albeit going to one skinnier wheel) 3-series. At the end of day two you will still gawk at us jealously as we pass you going 77mph in 65mph. You know...one of those lazy, slow overtakes, that tells you real ones (insert word from Geto Boys song) don't flex nuts. Same way like E36 M3 looks at E46 M3 as it passes by, as 5-series looks at M5, and as every BMW looks at E30 M3 as it goes by.

Stop arguing. We are better. We are ultra biased and proud of it. Nothing you say will change this. Ever. Game over.



/thread
sajakh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #60
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno111 View Post
The mods I am talking about are DINAN flash, the M-Tech kit and 19" aftermarket rims/tires and new black window trim to get rid of that disgusting chrome sh&%. These mods will cost you $6.5k+. Just get an M3 at that rate.
Much much more than $6.5k. Top notch LSD. Then the whole suspension needs to be replaced--not talking about merely replacing springs and shocks. What about brakes? And leather upgrade. I sat in an M3 today; the leather is really really nice. No comparison with what comes in a 3-series. Plus, all the time and hassle that comes with modding all that. What happens to reliability? Finally factor the resale value in there. Mods mean little when selling the car...etc, etc...
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #61
MADM4
Private First Class
 
Drives: M4
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 132
iTrader: (0)

you 335i owners dont like the M cause you cant afford it obviously, otherwise you have no other reason to diss it, its a bad ass ride
MADM4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #62
sflgator
Major General
 
sflgator's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: U.S.

Posts: 5,389
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno111 View Post
PROCEDE? YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY -VOID- WHO IS THE GENIUS NOW?

p.s. A bone stock 335i with only procede will never turn a head. The mods I am talking about are DINAN flash, the M-Tech kit and 19" aftermarket rims/tires and new black window trim to get rid of that disgusting chrome sh&%. These mods will cost you $6.5k+. Just get an M3 at that rate. Better yet, don't. Too many M's on the road they begin to lose their uniqueness and exclusivity.
Who says I don't have a warranty? All repairs done to my car have been under full warranty, buddy. When many dealer service dept's are very mod friendly and many SAs, Techs, and CAs drive modded cars themselves, it's not much of any issue. Get over yourself already and stop trying to justify your spending more $$ on your car; hey, it's not my $$...blow it any way you like...in the meantime, be careful to not challenge too many 335i's on the road as you may end up being very disappointed in the outcome (if they're tuned 335i's), ha ha.

btw -- The Dinan ECU Flash is overpriced; there are other performance mods that will yield more HP/TQ but then again, why do you care? If you're only looking to turn heads, then I now know why you feel you have to get the M3 or get ALL those aesthetic mods; personally, I like the stealthiness of my PROcede v2 335i.
__________________

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
sflgator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #63
JS11
Private First Class
 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA

Posts: 192
iTrader: (3)

I was very close to getting a 335i before the M3's price was announced. however I ended up ordering the M3 because I usually keep my cars for a long time and I didn't want to deal with another out-of-warranty turbo car with thousands of dollars worth of mods on it to satisfy my wants. Just getting a lsd, proceed, and a few other minor mods on a 335i would have cost only around 5~6K dollars less than a M3 (the way I ordered mine), and the fact that my M3 gets to keep its warranty as well as a better resale value was enough for me to choose the M3 over the 335i.
JS11 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #64
eclipsisNA
Colonel
 
eclipsisNA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Posts: 2,932
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
How is this argument even possible? While the 335 is a great car, its nowhere near the M3's league (and yes I've driven both cars). My car was parked next to a 335 when I saw it today, and both OC kid and myself said there's no comparison. The 335 looks weak compared to the M3. This isn't to offend 335 owners, but you guys seriously cannot compare the two cars, regardless of whether you've put PROcede in there.

sflgator, give it up. You have no argument. Never have never will. Your argument is like the car person's version of Napoleon Syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_complex

"The conventional wisdom is that Napoleon overcompensated for his short height by seeking power."
eclipsisNA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #65
tturedraider
Captain
 
tturedraider's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 Sonora 330i NA N52 :-)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)

Posts: 601
iTrader: (0)

Stopped by Autobahn BMW in Fort Worth today. They had a Melbourne Red coupe in the showroom. Very nice. Had Beige Novillo Extended Leather and Carbon Leather interior trim. The Carbon Leather trim was very, very nice!!!

MSRP of $69,750, including $1,300 Gas Guzzler Tax. Wow!! It's rated at 13 or 14 City and 20 Highway. It was gorgeous and very impressive and all that, but I'm just too cheap to ever pay that kind of money for a car. Especially when I think about the fact that all it takes is some idiot (without insurance, of course ) in a '94 Accord to really screw it up. There are just too many idiots out there!!

I was surprised it didn't have a carbon fiber roof panel. I was thinking that was going to be a standard feature on the coupes.

Fort Worth car show is this week and one of the CA's told me they will have an AW one there. They have three coupes in stock, but no sedans yet.
tturedraider is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #66
sflgator
Major General
 
sflgator's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: U.S.

Posts: 5,389
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
How is this argument even possible? While the 335 is a great car, its nowhere near the M3's league (and yes I've driven both cars). My car was parked next to a 335 when I saw it today, and both OC kid and myself said there's no comparison. The 335 looks weak compared to the M3. This isn't to offend 335 owners, but you guys seriously cannot compare the two cars, regardless of whether you've put PROcede in there.

sflgator, give it up. You have no argument. Never have never will. Your argument is like the car person's version of Napoleon Syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_complex

"The conventional wisdom is that Napoleon overcompensated for his short height by seeking power."
Check out DragTimes.com for 335i 1/4 mi. times...and then come back and tell me I have no argument. What you drove was a stock 335i; although decently fast, it is nowhere in the same ballpark as a tuned 335i (like the PROcede v2 335i). With approx. similar BHP as the E92 M3, but with much more TQ, the PROcede v2 335i is actually faster than the E92 M3. btw -- most tuned 335i's still do not have an LSD...although it could improve launches and such, an LSD isn't by any means absolutely necessary, imho.

The only reason you say I have no argument here is that this is an M3 Forum and all of you are M3 fans. Looks wise...it's fairly similar, imho, except the hood, roof, and a couple other aero aesthetic features. The interior is similar, except the seats.

Believe it or not, I too am an M3 fan, and will be looking at an E92 M3 in 12 months for my next car, but if I conclude that what others (who have test driven the E92 M3 and compared it to a PROcede v2 335i) say is true, then I will be ordering another loaded 335i to transfer my PROcede v2, wheels/tires, etc. (for a lot less $$ than an M3). And, please do not say it's a $$ issue...I got my wife's a $73k MB GL450 to cart around the kids.

Either way, I like both cars, but some of you guys really should get over it already...it's kind of pathetic, imho.
__________________

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
sflgator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST