BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #23
sflgator
Major General

Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Boy View Post
Why don't you go test drive a dinan 335 and the m3 back to back and tell us your honest opinion. I'm sure you'll be bias as you're getting the m3, but it would hurt right?
+1. That's all I was suggesting, and what I will do. Others who have done just this have said, "Meh, I'll take my tuned 335i over the M3 still; the M3's lack of TQ isn't as exciting as my tuned 335i, and it certainly doesn't feel any faster."

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
      03-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #24
sflgator
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
I respect sflgator, however, he simply does not know much about the cars...other than 335 + Procede...with comments like those...
With all due respect, dr325i, before you insult me...I think you should once and for all, take me up on my offer for a test drive in my car. Let's meet for lunch or something; have some good conversations, and then go take a spin in my car. I've only been asking you to do with this for about 1 year now. Only then will you understand where I'm coming from.

I do respect the M3 and always will, but I'm just going by what other more fortunate ppl have experienced when they have test driven the new E92 M3 and then got back into their tuned 335i's. I will go test drive an E92 M3 out of curiosity (and b/c I would consider it for my next car), but if what the others have said is accurate, then I will most likely get another loaded 335i Coupe and transfer my PROcede v2, wheels, BMC Air Filter, etc. for "more bang for my buck."

One last thing to consider is the gas mileage...my car gets 16-18mpg city / 24 mpg hwy and ~ 20mpg mixed. The M3's gas mileage is more like my wife's MB GL450 SUV.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |

Last edited by sflgator; 03-08-2008 at 09:41 AM.
      03-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #25
M3NNIS
Colonel

Drives: a truck for now

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
But your Dinan 335i is probably faster with way more TQ. The new M3's V8 sound isn't everything. When you get a chance, take the E90/E92 M3 for a test drive, and you'll probably realize you want to either keep your Dinan 335i or go for the E63 after all.
find my other post in here.
I had a 335 with several different chips/flashes. I loved the 335 it was the shit.
however after yesterday, 33What.
the M3 cannot be compared to the 335, the 335 is nothing copared to the M3.
I have been thinking and thinking of going back to the 335 to save money, after thedrive in the M3, no way. no way at all.
anyone that says the 335 is jsut as good is lieing. or has dropped 20k into it.
      03-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #26
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 Felt IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
There are plenty of cars out there that handle way better then an m3 but you dont see them putting there own cars on a petistle.
Putting them where now? lol, just messin' with ya.

It's funny though, you can always pick out the threads that get started on E90post, and then moved to M3 post. Am I right?
      03-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #27
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Tell me whats so great about the M3 that i cant even compare it to a low class 3 series? The handling? Sure its definitely better then a regular 3 series, but its nothing to worship over. There are plenty of cars out there that handle way better then an m3 but you dont see them putting there own cars on a petistle . The power? The m3's high revving v8 is nice but its still no match for its competitor c63. The m3 does a lot of things better then a regular 335 but at the end of the day, ITS STILL A 3 SERIES. Get off your dam high horse about the M badge because all it is is a badge.
The M3 rides better, corners better, handles better, looks better, has better leather, a better stereo, better brakes, better exhaust note, has a better transmission (DCT) and is faster around a track than the 335 with the Procede. Sure, you can further mod the 335 to include brakes, stereo, LSD, a new suspension, exhaust and such, but then the cost... oy. You have a great car, but it's not an M. There are very few parts shared between the 3 and the M3. It's still a 3 series, but the M comes first in the name for a reason.

Comparing the C63 in the M3 forum makes us laugh -- sure, it's faster in a straight line and has more power/torque, but it got DESTROYED on the track in the Top Gear video and was well nigh uncontrollable. If your goal with modding your 335 is to emulate that car, have fun.

Saying that there are cars better than the M3 at all the above criteria I listed is fairly obvious. Find me one that is better than the M3 at the same or better price (that seats 4 comfortably) and I'll consider it. IS-F? Nope. C63? Nope. RS4? Nope.
Keto is offline   United_States
      03-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #28
sflgator
Major General

Nobody said the 335i can outhandle an M3; we all know that's not the case. However, when you compare a slightly modded 335i (ala $1,400 PROcede v2 or less $$ for the AA XEDE or JB2H) in terms of power and speed, then you start to think about "bang for your buck." I don't track my car nor do I need to run the test cones pulling 0.92g; the 335i's 0.89g works for me, especially with ~ the PROcede v2's 400BHP / ~ 430 lb.-ft. TQ (~ 350 WHP / ~ 370 lb.-ft. RWTQ).

Also, as I mentioned before, the V8 M3's gas mileage is similar to my wife's V8 Mercedes Benz GL450 SUV...~13mpg city / ~18mpg hwy vs my PROcede v2 335i's 17mpg city / 24mpg hwy (~ 20mpg mixed).

With all that said, I will go test drive an M3 and compare it with my car in order to make an intelligent decision as to which one I like better (and which one I will get 12 months from now).

btw -- the E92 M3 has a better stereo? I thought it has the same Logic7 stereo as in the 335i, no?

03-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #29
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 Felt IA2

Quote:
btw -- the E92 M3 has a better stereo? I thought it has the same Logic7 stereo as in the 335i, no?
No, it actually has the European "Individual" which is a step up from Logic 7.

However, while logic 7 is stock in the 335i, the M3 stock stereo is actually the base stereo (I believe the same as the one standard in the 328i). To upgrade to the high end one is very pricey - $1900 plus you must get nav which is $2100.
      03-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #30
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
Yeah, that stereo is certainly not for the value-conscious
Keto is offline   United_States
      03-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #31
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

The torque differences between the stock cars have been discussed to death on this forum. Just search. Also, consider torque at the wheels once the transmission is optimized for redline etc, and not at the shaft. Regardless, an easier way to compare drivetrain performance is simply to look at the power. Sounds like a chipped 335 makes ~350 WHP, which is pretty close to the M3's max output of 373 hp at the hub. So, they should be close in a straight line, but as people pointed out you can mod the M3 for slight gains and extend its edge if you really care. But that's not why I'm buying an M3. If you were to mod the 335 to M3s standards overall, you would have to spend a good chunk of change and time, and lose your warranty. (That has also been debated to death.) I must assume most M3 owners do not want to deal with all that for no reason. So, why do you guys keep on re-initiating this pointless topic?

Last edited by lucid; 03-08-2008 at 12:34 PM.
lucid is offline   United_States
      03-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #32
Epacy
Reincarnated

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
That's something a maxima owner would say I guess.
Excellent, more badge conscious snobs on here.
Funny, that since you can't provide insight into the argument you resort to unprovoked insults. Tell me more about how much better you are than me...

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
      03-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #33
Ronno111
Private First Class

Drives: 2014 MB E63S-AMG/ 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
You stll measure your car's performance from 0-60mph? Clearly you haven't been following the data with the tuned 335i's (PROcede v2, AA XEDE, JB2H, Dinan, etc.) coming in with 1/4 mi. times between 11.9 sec. - 12.9 sec. @ 110mph+, with the average modded 335i. ~ 12.6 sec. @ 111mph.
Yes, but the M3 is doing these numbers stock. A stock 6mt M3 will hit the 1/4 mile in about 12.7 113mph , or better. This is bone stock with -0- mods (M-dct expected to come in at 12.5+). I am not knoocking the 335- it is a fantastic car. It just should not be compared to the M3 as they are 2 different animals that happen to be made by the same company.

I priced out a modded 335i, fully loaded with rims, M-tech kit and the dinan upgrade. At the end of the day, I was just a few thousand shy of the M3.

As far as test driving--- yes I have my M3 test ride set up w/ my dealer for next week. I would have gone today but the weather in NY is sh$%!! I should ask if they have a modded 335 to test as well. Either way, I am keeping my order in place. I just love the look of this M3 which you can't get from the 335.

CURRENTLY: 2014 MB E63AMG-S, CF package loaded, Weistec 725hp ECU on order, Dado downpipes; 2014 BMW X5 50i ||| FORMERLY: 2008 E60 M5 ||| 2011 X5 50i, ECU upgrade to 485hp, LOADED ||| 2009 BMW 335xi, jb4 map5, downpipes, spings, etc. |||
Ronno111 is offline   United_States
      03-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #34
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
With all due respect, dr325i, before you insult me...I think you should once and for all, take me up on my offer for a test drive in my car. Let's meet for lunch or something; have some good conversations, and then go take a spin in my car. I've only been asking you to do with this for about 1 year now. Only then will you understand where I'm coming from.

I do respect the M3 and always will, but I'm just going by what other more fortunate ppl have experienced when they have test driven the new E92 M3 and then got back into their tuned 335i's. I will go test drive an E92 M3 out of curiosity (and b/c I would consider it for my next car), but if what the others have said is accurate, then I will most likely get another loaded 335i Coupe and transfer my PROcede v2, wheels, BMC Air Filter, etc. for "more bang for my buck."

One last thing to consider is the gas mileage...my car gets 16-18mpg city / 24 mpg hwy and ~ 20mpg mixed. The M3's gas mileage is more like my wife's MB GL450 SUV.
If you were a female I'd think about it...
Seriously, I do believe you all the way and I did test many stock 335's and I can only imagine the difference...
However, what really turns me on is not 0-60 or 1/4 mile numbers but overall package. If I were a speed freak, I'd opted for the 330 instead of my 325 (at the time) but they just handled the same...

You can transfer whatever you want to your next 335, but it will NEVER be an M, period. M and other 3ers are not designed or made by the same people, they have pretty much nothing incommon except that roundel...

"Test driving" the M3 will probably not blow you away at all -- 20 minutes on FL turnpike will be as entertaining as in Camry. M3 becomes "alive" where (most of the ) other cars don't and you will not experience that with your test drive, or with three PROcedes in your 335...

If the BMW engineers went purely for speed, they would have put a TT V8 in it and do 3.5 sec to 60, but they went for the whole package...
      03-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #35
M34ME
M34ME

Drives: BMW E92 M3

Hey folks.....when its all said and done.....some people have it and some people don't.....I don't have a Dinan 335i.....I do have a V8 M3.....and I love it!!!
M34ME is offline   Australia
      03-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #36
ybbiz34

Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M34ME View Post
Hey folks.....when its all said and done.....some people have it and some people don't.....I don't have a Dinan 335i.....I do have a V8 M3.....and I love it!!!
I just want it be known that I had no intention of starting a 335i vs M3 war again. My initial post is just commenting about me seeing the M3 in person for the first time, getting to hear it, sit in it, etc.

So I don't want you to incorrectly attribute any of the modded 335i vs M3 debate to me.

03-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #37
sflgator
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno111 View Post
Yes, but the M3 is doing these numbers stock. A stock 6mt M3 will hit the 1/4 mile in about 12.7 113mph , or better. This is bone stock with -0- mods (M-dct expected to come in at 12.5+). I am not knoocking the 335- it is a fantastic car. It just should not be compared to the M3 as they are 2 different animals that happen to be made by the same company.

I priced out a modded 335i, fully loaded with rims, M-tech kit and the dinan upgrade. At the end of the day, I was just a few thousand shy of the M3.

As far as test driving--- yes I have my M3 test ride set up w/ my dealer for next week. I would have gone today but the weather in NY is sh$%!! I should ask if they have a modded 335 to test as well. Either way, I am keeping my order in place. I just love the look of this M3 which you can't get from the 335.
That's the point, genius. My loaded 335i cost me $49,500 + $1,400 for the PROcede v2...far less than a similarly equipped stock E92 M3 (~$65-$70k). Even if you add my other mods, it's stll far less. Look at my sig for how fast my car is, and I'm nowhere near the fastest 335i out there.

Once again, please do NOT misunderstand me...I am in no way saying a modded 335i is better than an E90/92 M3; just most likely a better bang for your buck....that's it. Like I've said before, I will go test drive the (M-DCT) E92 M3, but if it doesn't "WOW" me, then I will most likely stay with the 335i and transfer my PROcede v2, wheels/tires, etc. My priorities are mainly in straight out speed and performance (with decent handling) and high technology...HP/TQ, Stereo, Navi system, Active Cruise Control, etc.; I don't necessarily feel I have to pay extra for "the entire package" of an M3...different strokes for different folks.

03-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #38
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Active cruise control and M3 is mutually exclusive...fortunately.
As the OP stated this thread was never meant to be a 335i vs M3 thread, so why did it have to become one?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      03-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #39
sflgator
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Active cruise control and M3 is mutually exclusive...fortunately.
As the OP stated this thread was never meant to be a 335i vs M3 thread, so why did it have to become one?

Best regards, south
B/c some M3 guys are a bit defensive, I guess. I've stated my intentions and honest, fair thoughts several times.

03-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #40
southlight

Quote:
B/c some M3 guys are a bit defensive, I guess. I've stated my intentions and honest, fair thoughts several times.
In your very first reply in post #2 you brought the 335i into play which was uncalled for. The OP not even mentioned any comparison (probably to avoid this discussion):
Quote:
But your Dinan 335i is probably faster with way more TQ. The new M3's V8 sound isn't everything...
So who were defensive?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      03-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #41
sflgator
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
In your very first reply in post #2 you brought the 335i into play which was uncalled for. The OP not even mentioned any comparison (probably to avoid this discussion):

So who were defensive?

Best regards, south
B/c in MY mind, I will be comparing the E92 M3 (stock) and my PROcede v2 335i to see if I think paying an additional $15k-$20k is worth it for the M3. It's not exactly new news that a tuned 335i is faster than a stock E92 M3. Not defensive at all; I like them both.

03-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #42
Davo2003
Captain

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno111 View Post
clearly you have not been following the data with the M3 coming in with 4.1 times to 60. I have yet to see the best modded 335s doing this. Can you just imagine what a modded M3 with M-DCT will do? 3's for sure.

p.s. TQ means piss. My trailblazer has 320 lbs of TQ and I can't get the damn thing to hit 60 in less than 8 seconds!!!! The M3 and 335i are not in the same league, looks and performance. Accept it and move on.
+1,000,000 Thank you for saying it. I can't believe the amount of uninformed lame posts that hit threads like this sometimes, just rants with no evidence to back up opinions. Gets old
      03-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #43
M-Maika
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3 E92 AW

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
Yada yada yada 335 yada better than M3 yada yada yada.
Come on.
Another 335i battle........
The 335i owners should be proud to have a good car.
But if an M3 costs much more itīs because itīs better.
The rest is yada yada yada, ( modded or not ).

03-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #44
southlight

Quote:
B/c in MY mind, I will be comparing the E92 M3 (stock) and my PROcede v2 335i to see if I think paying an additional $15k-$20k is worth it for the M3. It's not exactly new news that a tuned 335i is faster than a stock E92 M3. Not defensive at all; I like them both.
Now that we know what you'll be doing we can come back to the original subject, can't we? You're suggestion that every owner of a modded 335i probably will be disappointed with the M3 better should be overlooked.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP