BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM Sport

03-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Jack's dad
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

3 M3's in Tampa - Just drove one!

Reeves BMW in Tampa just took delivery of three demo cars: red/bamboo/cl coupe, silver/black/sycamore coupe and silver/red/cl sedan. All cars wore 19's. First impressions:

1. You won't be disappointed. Cars look great , drive great and sound better. Car is fast as hell but more civilized than the E46 M3. Steering is very direct, ride is not at all stiff, even with the 19's. Shift action is very good with reasonabably short throws, though I did get a "little bit" of the rubbery sensation we've heard about.

2. Silver looked great on both cars. The red is not as red as Imola - has a bit of orange in it, almost like guards red on a Porsche.

3. Fox red is nowhere near as red as in the E46, and is closer to reddish orange or reddish brown. It is not a pure red. It looked great on the silver car and would probably look fine with anything but Melbourne.

4. The CL trim looks fantastic and looked really nice with both red and bamboo leather. We are having a rare cloudy day in Tampa today, but at least in moderate light conditions the Sycamore did not look as brown as the pictures floating around last week. On the other hand, it does not appear to be as black as the brochures either; almost a dark brown in impact. I would think it would look fine with black and tan interiors but not sure it would look all that great with fox red.

5. Overall the car strikes me as an incredible GT with amazing performance levels that I will never be able to fully exploit, but yet completely usable as a daily driver. This will be my fifth BMW and I have no doubt it will be my favorite.

I did have a camera with me, but I know next to nothing (maybe less) about
digital photography so it is hit or miss as to whether I can get these photo's up. I will give it a shot next...

Steve
      03-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
par4bmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Steve,
Thanks for the update on the color schemes. Did the sedan have extended FR? What combo did you order?
      03-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 BMW M5

Thanks for the quick write-up. I wish I could see FR in real life.
      03-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Jack's dad
Private First Class

The sedan did indeed have extended leather and it looked very nice. You do get the black cupholder strip though with a fox red interior.

My car is sitting (and sitting and sitting...) on the dock in Germany at status 193. It's a white sedan/ black interior/aluminum trim 6MT with all options except moon roof, PDC and sunshades (heated seats instead of cold weather package).
      03-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
par4bmw
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's dad View Post
The sedan did indeed have extended leather and it looked very nice. You do get the black cupholder strip though with a fox red interior.

My car is sitting (and sitting and sitting...) on the dock in Germany at status 193. It's a white sedan/ black interior/aluminum trim 6MT with all options except moon roof, PDC and sunshades (heated seats instead of cold weather package).

Appreciate the comments.

Your M sounds sweet. Try not to go to nuts during the grueling wait.
      03-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Jack's dad
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
Thanks for the quick write-up. I wish I could see FR in real life.
I think it's one of those colors you need to see for yourself, in person. I suspect some people will like it a lot, others much less so. I would not call it the safe choice among the available options. The choice of accompanying trim will be critical as well. As I indicated, I think it looks great with CL...
      03-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
par4bmw
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's dad View Post
I think it's one of those colors you need to see for yourself, in person. I suspect some people will like it a lot, others much less so. I would not call it the safe choice among the available options. The choice of accompanying trim will be critical as well. As I indicated, I think it looks great with CL...
Sounds like SSII is a like it a lot or less so as well. Tough to know how much baby blue really comes through without seeing IRL. First time seeing the brochere my pick was an SSII / FR sedan but edged away to black thinking red would be too much for the sedan. After all the positive comments from those seeing it, I am back to it. Can not wait to actually see it.

The tougher decision for me is between SSII E90 vs SG E93.
      03-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
To me, the SSII is not blue enough and the FR is not red enough. Fox red is a very classy looking brick red but, coming from Cinnamon, there was not enough "pop."

EDIT: This is after seeing it live.
Keto is offline   United_States
      03-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Jack's dad
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4bmw View Post
Sounds like SSII is a like it a lot or less so as well. Tough to know how much baby blue really comes through without seeing IRL. First time seeing the brochere my pick was an SSII / FR sedan but edged away to black thinking red would be too much for the sedan. After all the positive comments from those seeing it, I am back to it. Can not wait to actually see it.

The tougher decision for me is between SSII E90 vs SG E93.
Well it is a lot of red in a sedan, no question. It will come down to individual taste. One thing I seem to recall is that the backs of the red seats were black, which cuts down on the amount of red but introduces a two toned look...