BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
Magnetic Fusion's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Magnetic Fusion
CIM Motorsports discusses rod bearings and oil

Hey guys so the time has come where I found a shop to do my rod bearing work. It's CIM Motorsports. In this video Rick, the owner, discusses rod bearing clearance and oil.

__________________
2008 M3 Space Grey, 2003 M3 Silver Grey, 1995 M3 Avus Blue Metallic, 1995 M3 Cosmos Racing Black,
1994 318i Hellrot Red, 1992 318is Hellrot Red
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
shimmy23
e90 daddymobile
shimmy23's Avatar
259
Rep
1,248
Posts

Drives: e90 IB M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (1)

thanks for sharing your experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
ham_sammich
Colonel
ham_sammich's Avatar
United_States
546
Rep
2,382
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
The fact the guy said " should be in the hundredths" means he has no clue what he's talking about. This video is garbage. He's describing basic engine math and nothing more. He doesn't even know the proper specifications. What a gigantic shit show. The equivalent of taking medical advice from a carpenter.

One would think the owner of the shop could take the time to look up the specifications and correct information before this ****** came to make a video. There is zero preparation. He doesn't even know why 10w60 is used in motorsports engines. Measuring oil clearance without torquing the bolts... I get that you have to use new bolts after measuring, but you CANNOT measure oil clearance without torquing the bolt. That is basic engines 101. Seriously. Highschool kids at UTI fucking know this after their first class.

Im pretty sure RDDC just ruined this guys reputation as the a go to place for S65 rod bearing service or any service for that matter. Completely made him look like a hack mechanic. Though the shop owner did alittle of that himself by not being prepared.
__________________
2008 E90, JB/FR 6MT
Insta: datwing_m3

Last edited by ham_sammich; 04-30-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
Magnetic Fusion's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Magnetic Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenau View Post
The fact the guy said " should be in the hundredths" means he has no clue what he's talking about. This video is garbage. He's describing basic engine math and nothing more. He doesn't even know the proper specifications. What a gigantic shit show.
Ok. Races M3's and Porsches for over 20 years and you still discredit. Go you. Put your car together with slop. I'll put my trust in someone who does it on the daily. So go be salty somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
tdott
Major
239
Rep
1,312
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: FL / T.Dot

iTrader: (2)

I'm going to try to keep this short, I usually don't bother responding at all to all the crap about rod bearings anymore, there is enough info out there where if you wanted the correct info you could find it. I understand you are trying to drive traffic to your youtube channel, but nothing new was presented, some info is actually out of date and some of it is just wrong or doesn't make sense.

Of the 3 coated bearing options. OEM bearings plus the WPC treatment is the least preferred option since the 2 better options came to market, WPC was once preferred a few years ago but not anymore. It is treatment done to factory bearings and doesn't address clearance issues.

BE/VAC are the two most preferred options. Sounds like CIM is out of the loop on this one and haven't been keeping up to date on the options available for the S65, I'm sure they have a lot of experience but they seem more focused on Porsches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion View Post
Rick even said he will take the connecting rod completely out and measure each one to make sure the tolerance is the same across the complete engine.
Please explain how he will 'take the connection rod completely out and measure each one', that cannot be done with the engine still in the car and the heads still on, he'll have to remove the engine, remove the heads, remove the crank to get the piston and connecting rods out. Again this is why this explanation in the video doesn't make sense. He cannot measure clearance in these engines the way he is describing unless he plans on doing a full engine rebuild.

I'm sorry just because you are a Diffusion Engineer, doesn't mean you know how an S65 engine works. Same as your other claims.


Also not that it matters but I have never heard of CIM before, while you say they are recommended on these forums, perhaps it's because I am in FL and maybe that info is posted in the Northeast section and I just haven't come across it or it hasn't stood out, but I know that MRF, EAS, AA, Eurocharged, Autoculture to name a few, they are mentioned more frequently / recommended on the forum and they also share information here. I doubt I ever seen CIM post any info on their shop or shared bearings from M3s they've worked on. Only one of close shops are close to me but I've heard of the others and read the information they've shared on it, so they seem to be more well known online.

Goodluck with your bearings, i'm sure you will be fine.
But just know you didn't come up with some magic solution nor revealed any new info on the topic, in fact the information is out of date and some parts wrong.
__________________

Last edited by tdott; 05-02-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #6
Richbot
Brigadier General
450
Rep
3,494
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion View Post
Ok. Races M3's and Porsches for over 20 years and you still discredit. Go you. Put your car together with slop. I'll put my trust in someone who does it on the daily. So go be salty somewhere else.
You posted it here, you get to deal with the fallout from contributing to the noise side of the signal/noise ratio
__________________

Last edited by Richbot; 05-01-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
schnitzed328
Private
schnitzed328's Avatar
25
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: 2011 m3 e92 zcp dct aw
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

There is a shop in New Jersey that does rod bearing cheaper than your quote and does an alignment after the new rod bearings installed.....and they are know. In this forum
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
nycplumber
Second Lieutenant
40
Rep
213
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzed328 View Post
There is a shop in New Jersey that does rod bearing cheaper than your quote and does an alignment after the new rod bearings installed.....and they are know. In this forum
Could you PM me there name
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:58 AM   #9
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
1578
Rep
6,223
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
pasghetti
No Chill
pasghetti's Avatar
1609
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Also not that it matters but I have never heard of CIM before, while you say they are recommended on these forums, perhaps it's because I am in FL and maybe that info is posted in the Northeast section and I just haven't come across it or it hasn't stood out, but I know that MRF, EAS, AA, Eurocharged, Autoculture to name a few, they are mentioned more frequently / recommended on the forum and they also share information here. I doubt I ever seen CIM post any info on their shop or shared bearings from M3s they've worked on. Only one of close shops are close to me but I've heard of the others and read the information they've shared on it, so they seem to be more well known online.
That's because CIM is too busy racing M3s and Porsches for 20 years.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
The only thing he caught last week was the clap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Yeah, I get that a lot. Women always ask me how I manage to hide my penis so well.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
R3dliner
Major
R3dliner's Avatar
United_States
370
Rep
1,314
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
Could you PM me there name
ACM LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
IntegraXTR
Captain
51
Rep
617
Posts

Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (1)

I just remember the owners previous video where he went to a BMW dealership and they quoted him 8k for the job lol
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
MaximusB
First Lieutenant
92
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: 13 Frozen White E92
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

OP probably worked out a deal with this shop where he'll make a video to promo them in exchange for a better price on rod bearing job.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #14
Potatoes
Home fries
Potatoes's Avatar
United_States
1215
Rep
2,024
Posts

Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Upyourbuttandtotheleft

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

Of the 3 coated bearing options. OEM bearings plus the WPC treatment is the least preferred option since the 2 better options came to market, WPC was once preferred a few years ago but not anymore. It adds thickness to the bearing, making the tight clearance issue worse but slightly better than OEM perhaps because it has a coating.

Good post but need to correct this. WPC treatment doesn't add thickness. It's micro-shot peening of the bearing surface....not a coating.
__________________
2013 c63 Amg coupe w/dev package, eurocharged tune and ROW intakes.

Formerly known as Doc Oc w/2008 dct coupe, engine and dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #15
tdott
Major
239
Rep
1,312
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: FL / T.Dot

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Good post but need to correct this. WPC treatment doesn't add thickness. It's micro-shot peening of the bearing surface....not a coating.
Thanks fixed.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw m3, e92 m3, rod bearings

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST