BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,554
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up Car Magazine shootout: e92 M3 / GT-R / 911 turbo / R8 (16 page review)

Courtesy of Boshhaab.

Here are hi-res images from the comparison: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122289
















































































Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
eclipsisNA
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Posts: 2,938
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
As I said in the other thread, you have three beautiful Germans and one ugly Nissan. The Nissan looks like something out of an anime magazine or Transformers. I don't care if it's a few seconds quicker around a track than the other cars. I would have to live with it's ugliness day-in and day-out. No thanks.
eclipsisNA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
pittyinSC
Drives Smart
 
pittyinSC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M5 SG/Blk 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 2,386
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to pittyinSC
One thing they forgot to say is how much over
MSRP you will pay for the GT-R I know someone
over here in Nashville who paid 92,000$ U.S. for his and thats
the cheapest I have heard of so far, some are paying 100K
__________________

08 BMW ///M5 Space Gray/Black 6 speed
Engine: RPi GTS exhaust, RPi Scoops, Carbon Filter Delete
Exterior: Glossy Black Kidneys, LUX V3, OEM LED License Plate light, Bruce License Plate Adapter
pittyinSC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
neuzpeed
Captain
 
Drives: 335i AW Coupe zpp,zsp,ca, nav,
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 692
iTrader: (2)

GTR is sex man!! The rest do look better but I wouldn't go as far as saying its ugly.
__________________


AW e92 coupe/saddle brown leather/Strep/19" Iforge Drifts/painted reflectors/oem aero lip
neuzpeed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
hansyes
Private
 
hansyes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 「 GTA 」【 Greater Toronto Area 】

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
As I said in the other thread, you have three beautiful Germans and one ugly Nissan. The Nissan looks like something out of an anime magazine or Transformers. I don't care if it's a few seconds quicker around a track than the other cars. I would have to live with it's ugliness day-in and day-out. No thanks.
Come on.. Just say "I have such a bias in favour of German cars"
__________________

i『 L o v e 』
bmw'E92' & "nodic ♀s"
hansyes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
the_stranger
Captain
 
the_stranger's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lafayette, IN

Posts: 927
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Whenever I see or read this review, M3 feels like a very slow car. What the hell is this comparison? M3, GTR, R8 and 911 Turbo??? Each of them are from a different segment.

Thanks for posting this. Quite an effort scanning so many pages.
__________________

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
the_stranger is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
AssassinGT
///Andrew Alewine
 
AssassinGT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 323Ci, 2007 335i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Diamond Bar, California

Posts: 710
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to AssassinGT Send a message via AIM to AssassinGT Send a message via MSN to AssassinGT Send a message via Yahoo to AssassinGT Send a message via Skype™ to AssassinGT
Lol its a incredible machine, but I think it was unfair to put the m3 in that grouping honestly. Should of used a z06 instead.
__________________

Click Signature for Deviantart
AssassinGT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
eclipsisNA
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Posts: 2,938
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansyes View Post
Come on.. Just say "I have such a bias in favour of German cars"
Hmmm no I have a bias for good looking cars, regardless of the nationality that makes them.
eclipsisNA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
msing
Private
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
As I said in the other thread, you have three beautiful Germans and one ugly Nissan. The Nissan looks like something out of an anime magazine or Transformers. I don't care if it's a few seconds quicker around a track than the other cars. I would have to live with it's ugliness day-in and day-out. No thanks.
CAR mag's test results is more salt poured over your wound, heh?

cheers!
msing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
If you want want fast cars there are plenty to be bought out there for lot less money than an M3, Porsche or and Audi. But a person buying each of these cars is after something specific while factoring in brand awarness. I don't think it's fair to discuss this.

From a track car perspective what the CAR magazine has done stands up and be counted. But everyday practicality ... it's a waste of time.

The M3 is the best allrounder of the lot ... practical as a daily driver and somewhat of a hoon when you want it to be. That will do for me.
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
eclipsisNA
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Posts: 2,938
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitosing View Post
CAR mag's test results is more salt poured over your wound, heh?

cheers!
Jesus Christ people, I wasn't hurt by the results in any fashion. I can't stand the GT-R because of how ugly it is. I've felt that way since I first saw it, not because it's faster than the M3.
eclipsisNA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
E82tt6
Colonel
 
E82tt6's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (0)

Hmm, a bit suprised that the R8 was faster than the M3 in both a straight line, and around the twisties. Based on earlier test numbers, I would have expected the M3 to have an edge against the R8 in terms of power.

Also interesting to see that the 997TT is significantly faster than the GTR in a straight line. I think they should have run all 4 cars on a dyno, so we could get an answer on where HP for the GTR really is. Some have said 480whp, but if that were the case, it should have stayed ahead of the 997TT in a straight line.
E82tt6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #13
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
 
GewoW's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

Posts: 3,834
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
I'm very sorry, but as much as I love the article and it's great and all...it's a little bogus to me. I highly doubt the GTR would beat the Turbo...and yes, I know it did on the ring...that's not my point. My point is that, if any of you saw the video for part of this review, you would see that this idiot test driver, I don't care how good he is, CANNOT drive a porsche correctly. Is this saying I can? No. It's saying that seeing him over-steer when he's trying for a fast lap is idiotic. The Turbo has such immense traction, and if you don't know how to trail-brake, ESPECIALLY with a Porsche, which he obviously didn't, you end up with slow times. If he actually drove the Porsche well, then I'm pretty sure it would have a much better time, if not beat the GTR by a very small margin of <1 sec.

Sorry for the rant guys, I just don't like comparisons based on lack of PORSCHE (not general) driving skills.
__________________
GewoW is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
E82tt6
Colonel
 
E82tt6's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
I'm very sorry, but as much as I love the article and it's great and all...it's a little bogus to me. I highly doubt the GTR would beat the Turbo...and yes, I know it did on the ring...that's not my point. My point is that, if any of you saw the video for part of this review, you would see that this idiot test driver, I don't care how good he is, CANNOT drive a porsche correctly. Is this saying I can? No. It's saying that seeing him over-steer when he's trying for a fast lap is idiotic. The Turbo has such immense traction, and if you don't know how to trail-brake, ESPECIALLY with a Porsche, which he obviously didn't, you end up with slow times. If he actually drove the Porsche well, then I'm pretty sure it would have a much better time, if not beat the GTR by a very small margin of <1 sec.

Sorry for the rant guys, I just don't like comparisons based on lack of PORSCHE (not general) driving skills.
I agree. If it's the same as that video test, I don't think it's valid.

PS: Also thought it was funny that he drove the R8 off the track.
E82tt6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
 
GewoW's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

Posts: 3,834
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I agree. If it's the same as that video test, I don't think it's valid.

PS: Also thought it was funny that he drove the R8 off the track.
That's another good point, IF it's like the video...if it isn't, well then I have no right to complain, but certainly admire how they willfully would cast doubt on their credibility by including oversteering on a clip...
__________________
GewoW is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
335audioman
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sdrive35i DCT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 620
iTrader: (0)

To be honest...Looks wise, the M3 looks extremely plain compared to the other cars. Not sure if you all agree, but bias aside, the car is not a head turner.

The GTR is actually pretty interesting to look at imo. Not the prettiest design, but definitely an agressive design, especially from the rear. Those huge exhausts help too.

The Audi R8...what can i say? Gorgeous. I love it and always will.

The Porsche? They never dissapoint you. Good looking, fast, and has the prestige to justify its premium. Incredible car.

At 60K, the M3 is a great car, albeit a bit on the plain side. For slightly more, the GTR is a legitimate 997T competitor and you can't argue with that.
335audioman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #17
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
 
GewoW's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

Posts: 3,834
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
For slightly more, the GTR is a legitimate 997T competitor and you can't argue with that.
This I can agree with 100%, but I disagree with the margin of difference they set it out to have, specifically on the track.
__________________
GewoW is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
Ced
Private
 
Drives: E36 E46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SouthEast

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

BMW it's time to challenge the competition. Where's the LTW? and the DSG? and MO PWR? I guess the buying demographics and price makes the M3 what it is today. There will be more M3 sold, thus more profit for BMW to do more research for more goodies down the line, but I want BMW to give us one raw M3 not for the masses.

I like the GTR. Now, where's the GTR Vs Z06 video. WHich is cheaper?
Ced is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #19
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,698
iTrader: (4)

I have I said it before and I will say it again!!!!!

It says a lot that the M3 was even invited to this party!

Nothing has changed... the 997TT is faster than the M3 just like the 996TT was a hell of a lot faster than the E46 M3. (I mean come on, even the 996S was faster than the E46 M3). The R34 GTR was certainly a better performance car than the E46 M and now the R35 continues that tradition. The GTR is simply in another league.

Is anyone actually surprised?

Was anyone actually expecting the new M3 to make some miraculous leap into the realm of a supercar and start beating Porsche turbos and GTR's???

If that is the case then your expectations have just been wayyyy to high!

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #20
E82tt6
Colonel
 
E82tt6's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 2,629
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced View Post
BMW it's time to challenge the competition. Where's the LTW? and the DSG? and MO PWR? I guess the buying demographics and price makes the M3 what it is today. There will be more M3 sold, thus more profit for BMW to do more research for more goodies down the line, but I want BMW to give us one raw M3 not for the masses.

I like the GTR. Now, where's the GTR Vs Z06 video. WHich is cheaper?
You won't see it soon, because the Z06 will light it up like a candle.

I think the reason the M3 falls behind is because of Mercedes and Audi. The M3, over time, as consistantly gotten softer, and softer, more and more like an AMG instead of an M, and the inverse trend can be seen among Mercedes, as is evidenced by the newest AMG cars.

BMW is used to competing with other Luxury marquees, and because of the compromises they've made, it doesn't hold up as well to more purpose built competition.

In other words, where's the CSL? That'd be a better comparison for those more pure sports cars, than the plain ole E92 M3, which is much softer around the edges than the other cars.
E82tt6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 07:09 PM   #21
the_stranger
Captain
 
the_stranger's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lafayette, IN

Posts: 927
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
To be honest...Looks wise, the M3 looks extremely plain compared to the other cars. Not sure if you all agree, but bias aside, the car is not a head turner.

The GTR is actually pretty interesting to look at imo. Not the prettiest design, but definitely an agressive design, especially from the rear. Those huge exhausts help too.

The Audi R8...what can i say? Gorgeous. I love it and always will.

The Porsche? They never dissapoint you. Good looking, fast, and has the prestige to justify its premium. Incredible car.

At 60K, the M3 is a great car, albeit a bit on the plain side. For slightly more, the GTR is a legitimate 997T competitor and you can't argue with that.
Coming to the looks, I cant disagree with you. it depends on each person's opinion. I think the M3 looks great. But not as good as the R8. I think it definitely looks better than the GTR. Coming to the price, GTR is not slightly more expensive than the M3. It is being marked up a lot. The minimum is 20k. Although, I agree that GTR is a great track car and the R8 looks FABULOUS..
__________________

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
the_stranger is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      02-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #22
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,698
iTrader: (4)

"This is the most fun I will a have all day''

The line really says it all for me. I am not a track junky (Maybe one day) and blasting down the I-5 or I-15 Socal is the closest thing I will come to to any racing. So, I have to honest with myself and say that if the M3 is the most fun to drive then I would rather have that than any mid engined Audi, or super fast Nissan...

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST