BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-05-2017, 03:49 AM   #1
///Mstvpxs
你爸爸
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dinan E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Is it possible to Port the Intake Manifold and Cylinder Heads of the S65 Engine?

Greetings everyone,

I watched a video on Motor Trend where Steve Dulcich got 92 more HP and around 35 lb/ft Torque out of a 410 Cubic Inch Mopar engine, just by porting the intake manifold and cylinder heads, and was wondering if this was a pragmatic thing to do with the S65.

Curious if anyone has done this themselves, or have had a shop do it for them.

If possible, could anyone attach a dyno comparison between a ported/unported S65?

Thanks,

M

2011 Dinan FBO SSII E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90M,13 ZCP E92, 12 X5

Specific output of american engines is usually bad and there are low hanging fruit all over the place. As they are large engines there is plenty to be gained by doing things like that

BMW engines have high specific outputs and are already highly optimized. Headers gets you 10hp, cams gets you 15-20, etc etc
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Intake manifold is plastic. But Dinan sells higher flowing throttle bodies.

S65 heads are way better flowing than the antique iron heads on that 410 ci domestic motor. Certainly a professional shop could improve them but expect a smaller gain. Very expensive to remove, port, flow bench, reinstall, time cams. I would guess you could spend $5k. Not worthwhile to most people. If building a stroker or race engine anyway, at least some of the labor would be involved anyway but the cost of the porting alone would still be an added $2k.

A more realistic mod would be a set of schrick cams. About $2k for the cams. I'd guess $1500 in labor. Might need tuning. If so add $1k.

If porting, schrick cams would be a great match. Some overlap in labor, but I'd guess you would be in the $10k range for ported heads and schricks and tuning.

I have been on these forums for 6-7 years. Have never seen a ported head test against stock. Have never seen even a schrick cam test against stock.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80, 12 F25, 06 E90 330i

While there may be some HP on the table for porting the throttles and heads-its unlikely to yield significant gains especially on a HP/$ basis especially when you figure to take full advantage of it you would want to couple it with cams.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90M,13 ZCP E92, 12 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
A more realistic mod would be a set of schrick cams. About $2k for the cams. I'd guess $1500 in labor. Might need tuning. If so add $1k.

I have been on these forums for 6-7 years. Have never seen a ported head test against stock. Have never seen even a schrick cam test against stock.
Soon you will have that! I have the 284 cams on order. Not sure when I'll install, etc, but I want to do a cam install DIY for the forum and am also very interested in seeing what those cams can do when properly tuned.

I think the complexity of cams is in the tuning. Well besides the install
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
///Mstvpxs
你爸爸
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:

S65 heads are way better flowing than the antique iron heads on that 410 ci domestic motor. Certainly a professional shop could improve them but expect a smaller gain. Very expensive to remove, port, flow bench, reinstall, time cams. I would guess you could spend $5k. Not worthwhile to most people. If building a stroker or race engine anyway, at least some of the labor would be involved anyway but the cost of the porting alone would still be an added $2k.

If porting, schrick cams would be a great match. Some overlap in labor, but I'd guess you would be in the $10k range for ported heads and schricks and tuning.

Quote:

Very interesting. Thank you for your input; I definitely want to stay Naturally aspirated, so this may be something to do in the future.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
///Mstvpxs
你爸爸
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:

Soon you will have that! I have the 284 cams on order. Not sure when I'll install, etc, but I want to do a cam install DIY for the forum and am also very interested in seeing what those cams can do when properly tuned.

I think the complexity of cams is in the tuning. Well besides the install

Wow, I am very eager to see the results. I would be even more eager to see if it's possible to do this myself, good luck with the build!

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
deansbimmer
Is knee deep in projects.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E93 M3

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Many are not aware that the S65 ports are already CNC machined. They flow extremely well already and there's not much room for improvement. I'm sure there are owners out there who have paid engine shops like VAC to port their S65 heads but I suspect that if they are indeed out there, they value their anonymity and don't post on forums.

As mentioned above, these engines are not like many American engines which make their power from more displacement. Small easy changes to those engines yield big results, but that's not how the ///M engines are produced.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Many are not aware that the S65 ports are already CNC machined. They flow extremely well already and there's not much room for improvement. I'm sure there are owners out there who have paid engine shops like VAC to port their S65 heads but I suspect that if they are indeed out there, they value their anonymity and don't post on forums.

As mentioned above, these engines are not like many American engines which make their power from more displacement. Small easy changes to those engines yield big results, but that's not how the ///M engines are produced.

Not surprised that sort of work was already done on the S65, it's how they can squeeze out so much power.