BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

04-28-2016, 01:30 AM   #1
Gena the Crocodile
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Gintani X-pipe with 4 resonators - to be changed for high flow cats

The car has ess-650 kit + Gintani X-pipe with 4 resonators.

Initially I paired Gintani X-pipe with 4 resonators with M perfomance rear section exhaust and the sound was way too loud with unpleasent drone and rasp, being not suitable for street driving.

I took off the M perfomance exhaust and replaced it with OEM rear section exhaust. The sound changed for better eliminating drone, becoming suitable for street driving but it is still a bit too rasp at mid and high revs. By the way, drone dissapeared completely.

I am now thinking of changing 2 front resonators of Gintani to high flow cats 100 cpsi.
I want to believe this will significantly reduce the sound making it quiet enough not to bother neighbours etc. I am not against achiving better sound losing up to 10-15 hp but not more.

Can the 100 cpsi HFC be purchased separately and integrated in the gintani x-pipe, which I have now?

Any suggestions or recomenndations?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Gena the Crocodile; 04-28-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
MarinoC
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena the Crocodile View Post

Initially I paired Gintani X-pipe with 4 resonators with M perfomance rear section exhaust and the sound was way too loud with unpleasent drone and rasp, being not suitable for street driving.

I took off the M perfomance exhaust and replaced it with OEM rear section exhaust. The sound changed for better eliminating drone, becoming suitable for street driving but it is still a bit too rasp at mid and high revs. By the way, drone dissapeared completely.

I am now thinking of changing 2 front resonators of Gintani to high flow cats 100 cpsi.
I want to believe this will significantly reduce the sound making it quiet enough not to bother neighbours etc. I am not against achiving better sound losing up to 10-15 hp but not more.

Can the 100 cpsi HFC be purchased separately and integrated in the gintani x-pipe, which I have now?

Thanks in advance!
hey sorry i dont have an answer for you. maybe you can help me tho. im actually thinking about getting the gintani x pipe with high flow cats, and i have the M performance exhaust. i dont plan on changing the exhaust, so im wondering now will it be too loud and have drone/rasp or will it be a nice aggressive sound? thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
Gena the Crocodile
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoC View Post
hey sorry i dont have an answer for you. maybe you can help me tho. im actually thinking about getting the gintani x pipe with high flow cats, and i have the M performance exhaust. i dont plan on changing the exhaust, so im wondering now will it be too loud and have drone/rasp or will it be a nice aggressive sound? thanks for your help

Are you supercharged?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
MarinoC
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw m3

Quote:
Are you supercharged?
not right now, iit will be n the future tho
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Why don't you look at replacing the rear with a Corsa? I have an MRF X-pipe that I catted w/100 CEL HJS cats and paired it with a UUC Corsa exhaust specifically b/c I wanted to keep the noise down.

Works splendidly. WOT it's loud AF, just cruising around, it's very tame. No drone or rasp, either....the perfect Jekyll and Hyde. And I went with this setup in anticipation of purchasing a s/c'er in the future, as well.

Appreciate 2
JRV38

04-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
asmazda
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:

I took off the M perfomance exhaust and replaced it with OEM rear section exhaust. The sound changed for better eliminating drone, becoming suitable for street driving but it is still a bit too rasp at mid and high revs.

I have a 200-cell HFC x-pipe with resonators that I had originally paired with the OEM exhaust. I don't know what catless sounds like, but I found the HFC x-pipe with OEM exhaust was too raspy for my taste. So I went with a Dinan exhaust and now the rasp is gone, but it is significantly louder than the OEM exhaust, especially at WOT.

So I guess point of my story is you will have to decide what tradeoff you want. Personally, if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't waste the money on an exhaust. Just the x-pipe paired with OEM exhaust and accept a little rasp.

BTW, generally speaking, the greater the # of cells of the HFC the quieter it will be.
      04-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
Gena the Crocodile
Ukraine
Rep

Ok. I have already understood that to keep reasonably quiet at catless or HFC xpipe I should abondon the idea of keeping my m-perfomance exhaust.

It looks like the OEM rear section is a good compromise. The only question is:
HOW do I install the 100 HFC to the gintani catless x-pipe with 4 resonators?

Do I just delete the first pair of resonators and change them for 100 HFC?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #8
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. I have already understood that to keep reasonably quiet at catless or HFC xpipe I should abondon the idea of keeping my m-perfomance exhaust.

It looks like the OEM rear section is a good compromise. The only question is:
HOW do I install the 100 HFC to the gintani catless x-pipe with 4 resonators?

Do I just delete the first pair of resonators and change them for 100 HFC?
Do you have a pic of the x-pipe?
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
Gena the Crocodile
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post

Difficult to download it from ipad.

But it is a standard gintani catless x-pipe 4 resonators
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 02:27 AM   #10
Jesus E90 M3
Private First Class
Jordan
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I am interested to know!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 02:41 AM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You might just want to add the cats to the mid section before the rear resonators.
I'd recommend 200cpi cats if the smell bothers you. 100cpi cats still stick a lot.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #12
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

It should be pretty straight forward, OP.

I would recommend 100 or 200 cpsi HJS cats, like whats77inaname used. The 100 will give you more power (or rob you of less, I guess) than the 200, but the 200 will smell less and quiet it down more.

The trick will be getting the cats with the correct reducers to fit the diameter of your exhaust pipes. It shouldn't be too tough. Once you have the cats in hand, any good exhaust shop should be able to help you out.
      12-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #13
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I'd recommend 200cpi cats if the smell bothers you. 100cpi cats still stick a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
It should be pretty straight forward, OP.

I would recommend 100 or 200 cpsi HJS cats, like whats77inaname used. The 100 will give you more power (or rob you of less, I guess) than the 200, but the 200 will smell less.
I'm gonna have to say that I disagree. I've been running this setup (100 CPSI cats) for a bit now, have had several people in my car over the past couple years, and there has been literally no complaints of the smell, and my g/f is pretty sensitive (and vocal ) about that kind of thing. If you go this route, you're going to need a Corsa rear. If not, it will make A LOT of noise, like the "your-neighbors-will-be-thinking-about-vandalizing-your-car-because-it's-so-loud" kind .
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
Jesus E90 M3
Private First Class
Jordan
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You might just want to add the cats to the mid section before the rear resonators.
Quote:
I'm gonna have to say that I disagree. I've been running this setup (100 CPSI cats) for a bit now, have had several people in my car over the past couple years, and there has been literally no complaints of the smell, and my g/f is pretty sensitive (and vocal ) about that kind of thing. If you go this route, you're going to need a Corsa rear. If not, it will make A LOT of noise, like the "your-neighbors-will-be-thinking-about-vandalizing-your-car-because-it's-so-loud" kind .
i have Corsa with the Gintani X-pipe quad resonated, it sounds amazing but the rasp at normal driving kills it. i only need to minimize the rasp. i love the smell and dont mind power loss.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Evolve has shown essentially no power loss with having 200cpi cats downstream where the stock 20cpi cats are. It should take out most of the rasp too.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 11:29 PM   #16
rich4life611
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JB E92 M3 ZCP

Definitely interested in purchasing the xpipe if you choose to sell?
Appreciate 0