BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Vorsteiner

03-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #45
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
What is the picture in your sig? Can't really tell what all of it is.

I can see the earth and moon, but what is that to the left?
That's his flat Earth picture.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #46
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
That's his flat Earth picture.
Does he think the earth is flat, too!?!?
      03-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #47
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:
yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeepppppppp
How do you think it's possible Noah built the Ark all by himself?

Please don't tell me God did it for him...

Also, it would be impossible to get all those animals to fit in that Ark.

Even if he did manage to do that, there's no archaeological or geological evidence for the Great Flood Noah has experienced.

So some questions came to mind already; if there's no flood, then there's no reason to built a giant Ark to stuff all the animals in. And, if there's no giant Ark, then Noah's story would be a fake; then, why is the story of Noah's Ark in the bible?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #48
dr335is
Major General
Rep
Drives: Some Mazda junk...

Quote:
I doubt, but I am sure there are religious freaks that believe in it and whatever the money collecter tells them...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #49
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
I doubt, but I am sure there are religious freaks that believe in it and whatever the money collecter tells them...
Since you are sure some religious freaks believe in a flat Earth, could you post up some information on those religious freaks and the money collector who told them to believe it?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #50
gum5h03
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

You Earthlings are so obsessed with this time thing...

I realize your puny gray matter meat filled cavities cannot fathom this but I'll make it simple for even the most primitave protozoa. There is no such thing as time and consequently no future, no past and no present. Time is an illusion and has never nor will it ever exist. Take the red pill and wake up. Once you accept the fact you live in a perpetual state of flux the happier you will be. *If* there is a God he nomore cares about time than your over fed goldfish. Human beings devised a system of time and an accounting of past and future events to stop their heads from popping like giant pus filled pimples.

Seriously though, go look at quantum physics and then come back and report on what time *really* is...

This mental masturbation tip has been brought to you today by the number ∞ and the letter Ω
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #51
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
This mental masturbation tip has been brought to you today by the number ∞ and the letter Ω
I like mental masturbation.
      03-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #52
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
You got me, "debate master"!!!
      03-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #53
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
How do you think it's possible Noah built the Ark all by himself?

Please don't tell me God did it for him...

Also, it would be impossible to get all those animals to fit in that Ark.

Even if he did manage to do that, there's no archaeological or geological evidence for the Great Flood Noah has experienced.

So some questions came to mind already; if there's no flood, then there's no reason to built a giant Ark to stuff all the animals in. And, if there's no giant Ark, then Noah's story would be a fake; then, why is the story of Noah's Ark in the bible?
Noah caught 5 million species of insects x 2 (male and female) and put them on the boat. He had to look at their genitalia to confirm opposite sex, because bible condemns gays. It took him single afternoon to do that.
So, read your bible before you post!
      03-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #54
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since you are sure some religious freaks believe in a flat Earth, could you post up some information on those religious freaks and the money collector who told them to believe it?
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...rthsociety.htm

If this seems weird to you, that's how your religious claims make me feel.
      03-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #55
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

Quote:
Around 150 AD, Claudius Ptolemy, a Greek geographer, mathematician, and astronomer, compiled an encyclopedia of the ancient world from the archives of a legendary library in Alexandria, Egypt. His eight-volume Geography included extensive maps of the known world, all based on a curved globe.

Unfortunately, learning and intellect went out of fashion in Europe between 400 and 1200 AD. The storehouses of Greek knowledge were lost to Western society with the advent of the gloomy period known as the Dark Ages. Sea monsters and Vikings ruled the seas, and ships that ventured too far from shore were sure to fall off the edge of a flat Earth. Maps made in that time were based on religious beliefs or superstitions, not on observations, calculations, or scientific inquiry. Rectangular maps of the Earth represented the "four corners of the Earth." Circular maps usually placed the birthplace of Christianity, the holy city of Jerusalem, at the center of the world.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #56
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...rthsociety.htm

If this seems weird to you, that's how your religious claims make me feel.
You have linked to that before. I take it as a joke website. Does this represent your claim "I am sure there are religious freaks that believe in it and whatever the money collecter tells them..."?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #57
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

That isn't a claim that's difficult to prove. I'm sure a google serach would yield someone arguing something was true because the Bible or God said so in about .00031 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #58
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

e90im, do you honestly think the earth is flat?
      03-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #59
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
That isn't a claim that's difficult to prove. I'm sure a google serach would yield someone arguing something was true because the Bible or God said so in about .00031 seconds.
Do you want to make that search and put up some quotes with links? Here we are talking about a flat Earth.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #60
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

Quote:
Do you want to make that search and put up some quotes with links? Here we are talking about a flat Earth.

If there were people that believed in a flat earth, religious or not, they would represent a minority of poplulation. However, if we take evolution, it's a different story; Point being is, the Church was about a 1000 years late on getting with the round earth thing, and around 300 years to acknowledge that the earth orbits around the sun (and i consider someone dying a cataclyst, so +100-200 years if there was no bloodshed on that one...), so all in all we're moving in the right direction. Science never faced worse bureaucracy than in the face of the church. Hopefully evolution gets a stamp of approval before the rational people peace out to Alpha Centauri...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #61
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have linked to that before. I take it as a joke website. Does this represent your claim "I am sure there are religious freaks that believe in it and whatever the money collecter tells them..."?
I never claimed such a thing. Website is no joke. It's for real.
Again, now you know how I feel when I deal with religious claims...
I get a "you've got to be kidding me" moments...
      03-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #62
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
e90im, do you honestly think the earth is flat?
GH32335i, do you honestly think that I honestly think earth is flat. If you do, you are way out of your league in this debate. Kind of like G.Dub is in the oval office.

My sig represents the advancement of science and critical thinking.
I guess I had to explain it to you in plain words. You're welcome.
Attached Images

Last edited by e90im; 03-11-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #63
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Huh? Why should I? I could just ask you questions, and that would prove my point.

Why do you hate gay people?

Why do you believe in God?

Why don't you believe in evolution?

Why do you think I'm going to hell for not believing the Bible is true?

I could go on, and on, but a simple self analysis of your own positions on these, and a variety of other questions, would inevitably lead to the answer "Becase God/the Bible says so."
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #64
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

And back to the original question:

What is the future? What is now? What is reality, other than an individual's perception of it?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #65
Carolyn0944
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i cv blk sapph/saddle

Send a message via AIM to Carolyn0944
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Noah caught 5 million species of insects x 2 (male and female) and put them on the boat. He had to look at their genitalia to confirm opposite sex, because bible condemns gays. It took him single afternoon to do that.
So, read your bible before you post!
Just as in Noah's time, man still scoffs at his story; they ridiculed him because there had never, ever been rain where he built the ark, therefore they mocked what they did not understand; they called him crazy, out of his mind, etc. He worked on the ark, along with his sons, daughters, and wife for several years for completion; there were not the number of insects (nor animals) then that there are now due to later cross breeding, etc. and scientists have actually admitted that this event is possible, i.e. Mt Ararat findings.

As for "money collecors," any Bible founded Christian can discern the difference in the televangelists that seek money continuously on their broadcasts and the teaching that they purvey. Not all Bible thumpers are the real thing, and God warns us of this fact in Revelations as well as other areas of the Bible. The entire book of Rev is written for the "lost" without Christ except the first four chapters. I most certainly would not want to live in the end times without Him.

All of our questions concerning God and Jesus will never be answered while we are on this earth. God wants us to come to know Him on faith. Believing as a little child; not having to scientifically prove Him but understand Him through His word. That is what separates us from animals. The ability to think for ourselves and have a conscientious. Each of us are born as a newborn with a "hole" in our heart that has to be filled with something to make us complete. Fill it with the things of this "world" and satan or fill it with Jesus to live a life pleasing to Him. Our soul purpose on this earth is to bring others to the saving knowledge of Christ and to help our fellow man.
      03-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #66
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Actually, given the recent number of extinctions, there were probably far more species back then. Estimates put the total current number of species around 14 million, so we can conservatively say 16 million, some 6 thousand years ago.

That would be 32 million animals on the boat, assuming he took one pair of each, 224 million assuming he took 7 pairs of each.

Most modern secular Biblical scholars believe that the Ark story is actually based on an ancient Mesopotamian myth, which seems to date back to 3,000 BC or so. This ancient Babylonian flood myth has been passed down to many religions, and it is reasonable to assume that Judaism was one of them. The "gofer wood" translation is one of many such indications. The original myth had the boat built from reeds, and the Assyrian word from reed is "giparu", which sounds very similar to "gofer" when spoken.

The biggest problem with the Ark myth is the supposed dimensions of the Ship. Most Biblical literalists agree is was ago 450 feet long. At that length, a wooden ship would have barely been able to survive FLOATING, let alone the ocean. The largest wooden-hulled ship ever built was about 330 feet long, and was actually more metal than wood. It required the extensive use of Iron for structural components and bracing, otherwise it would have broken apart very quickly.

As for the "find the Ark at Mt Ararat" myth, it is just that, a myth.

A group did find what they purported to be fossilized remains of the Ark in Iran. However, there has never been physical evidence released. Some members of the group claim that what they found was clearly fossilized wood, others say it was likely a rock formation. They claim they took samples, and different claims have been made about what the results were, but the research insititutions that were claimed to have done the tests, say that no such test were ever performed. Basically, this claim is considered to be a hoax by pretty much everyone.

As for the geological features of mount Ararat that some of claimed to be the remains of the Ark, analysis has shown them to be just that. Natural geographical features.

There have been numerous hoaxes over the years, but no one has produces even a smidgen of evidence to suggest the actual existance of the Ark. What's more, it's counter to all the archaelogic and palentologic evdience we have regarding the time period (4-12 thousand BC).
Appreciate 0