BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #23
TransporterE92
Enlisted Member
TransporterE92's Avatar
3
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 09 E89 3.0i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I kind of agree. Very girly! Get the 911 turbo if you want real p-car!
Unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #24
OzStriker
Captain
OzStriker's Avatar
Australia
23
Rep
923
Posts

Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
A Cayman S and an M3?

I don't see the point, the M3 noise and straight line go is so intoxicating the Cayman may well gather dust.....The M3 is no slouch around the bends...

Oh did I mention the noise?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #25
gblansten
Beandoc
gblansten's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
2,290
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
What's wrong?

Too many people calling your Cayman S a "chick car"?

Feeling hurt that its 0-60 times don't measure up?

I can't believe someone with the funds to have both a 335i and a Cayman S has to ask "the internet" what do to.....

If you don't like the way the Cayman S drives, get rid of it. Although I don't see how that could be -- it's a fantastic car. Although if you are a badge whore you will be insecure in it... because "it's not a 911" ...
Cliffs: This guy's prolapsed internal hemorrhoid banding procedure has led to an anal fissure formation that will require additional surgery to correct. Please bear with us as he lashes out against everyone on this board in the interim.

I'm sending you a Metamucil/Fiber One bar care kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #26
chasem3
Second Lieutenant
chasem3's Avatar
3
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

The cayman s is very very underpowered and not that pretty to look at.

If i were you just buy a used 997S or E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #27
JPH
Second Lieutenant
JPH's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

No one can knock a Porsche much. And the "chick car" comments always crack me up. It's still a Porsche, don't listen.

I have never owned one, always been intrigued. For the first time in my life I have the funds to get a Cayman and maybe even a stripped down 911. I did my homework and it came down to 2 things:
1) Performance: Porsche does not seem to be keeping up any more...at least not below $120,000.
2) Practicality: I need the back seat and maintenance costs with the BMW are significantly lower.
***Did you know that it costs ~$85 per 1000 miles to maintain a Porsche at dealership shop rates? That stat. floored me when I did the math. Having said that, not many people buy a Porsche with maintenance costs in mind.

So I went with the new M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #28
Jimmyz
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 or Audi S5 (soon!)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Don't do it! 335i + Cayman S is a sweet garage combo (although I would have gotten the 335i in manual)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #29
Jimmyz
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 or Audi S5 (soon!)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
No one can knock a Porsche much. And the "chick car" comments always crack me up. It's still a Porsche, don't listen.

I have never owned one, always been intrigued. For the first time in my life I have the funds to get a Cayman and maybe even a stripped down 911. I did my homework and it came down to 2 things:
1) Performance: Porsche does not seem to be keeping up any more...at least not below $120,000.
2) Practicality: I need the back seat and maintenance costs with the BMW are significantly lower.
***Did you know that it costs ~$85 per 1000 miles to maintain a Porsche at dealership shop rates? That stat. floored me when I did the math. Having said that, not many people buy a Porsche with maintenance costs in mind.

So I went with the new M3.


My dad had a 996 Turbo for over 3 years and the maintenance costs weren't bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #30
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage
Hans Delbruck's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Cliffs: This guy's prolapsed internal hemorrhoid banding procedure has led to an anal fissure formation that will require additional surgery to correct. Please bear with us as he lashes out against everyone on this board in the interim.

I'm sending you a Metamucil/Fiber One bar care kit.


Benz drivers are the ones who need Metamucil. See I can stereotype too.

I'm not bagging the Cayman. I love it OK? The post was sarcasm. Buy what you like and who gives a f-. But if you ask for opinions, I love offering mine! I just have a different perspective than most.
__________________
2009 135i 6MT Euro Delivery 9/5/09
BMW Performance Power Kit - Exhaust - Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 02:16 AM   #31
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage
Hans Delbruck's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I kind of agree. Very girly! Get the 911 turbo if you want real p-car!
This is what I'm talking about......


The Cayman S is a great car. As is the M3. As is the 135i, GBlandsten. You just have to appreciate each car for what it offers. Now I understand if one can't afford all three at once, one may feel the need to "diss" the others to justify their choice.....
__________________
2009 135i 6MT Euro Delivery 9/5/09
BMW Performance Power Kit - Exhaust - Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 02:56 AM   #32
GarryF
First Lieutenant
GarryF's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
309
Posts

Drives: SSII E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Go watch 5th gear from last night, cayman s v 135, after watching that I think it's safe to say the M3 would be in a different league
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 03:46 AM   #33
Jimmyz
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 or Audi S5 (soon!)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryF View Post
Go watch 5th gear from last night, cayman s v 135, after watching that I think it's safe to say the M3 would be in a different league
I thought it was a standard Cayman?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #34
Jimmyz
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 or Audi S5 (soon!)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, it is a standard Cayman...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...n&search_type=

And once again, they had that stupid ass drift test. I can't believe the people at 5th gear think that a drift test is as important as a slalom test and a track race.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #35
gasman
Member
gasman's Avatar
16
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterE92 View Post
Unbelievable.
Sorry bro...I just don't like the looks of it. It's a tiny car. I feel the same way about the BMW z4 and M coupe. I always see chicks driving those cars. They are great cars...just not for me. To each his own.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #36
gblansten
Beandoc
gblansten's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
2,290
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Benz drivers are the ones who need Metamucil. See I can stereotype too.

I'm not bagging the Cayman. I love it OK? The post was sarcasm. Buy what you like and who gives a f-. But if you ask for opinions, I love offering mine! I just have a different perspective than most.
You crack those rants then you do friendly, funny followups. I'm confused.

It's

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #37
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage
Hans Delbruck's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
You crack those rants then you do friendly, funny followups. I'm confused.

It's


I had too much coffee yesterday. Sorry everybody....
BTW, coffee works better than Metamucil, for me....

Back to the original thread, maybe I can be a little more courteous to the OP.

I'd definitely keep the Cayman S ! Who wants two 3ers at the same time. Ok, maybe me... one for a beater, one for "showing up" .... I guess you can justify anything, just get creative.

The way I'd look at it is.... V8 sport/lux vs a more focused sports car.... They will both get a lot of eyeball and be fun to drive.
__________________
2009 135i 6MT Euro Delivery 9/5/09
BMW Performance Power Kit - Exhaust - Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #38
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
22
Rep
1,330
Posts

Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (3)

Funny, I just bought a Cayman S over the M3 among others. And I disagree with a previous poster, the Cayman S market is very good
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #39
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
CnoteMD's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 535i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I don't think it makes much sense to have a 335 and an M3. They are still essentially different variations of the same car. If you really want the M3, you should seriously consider working out a deal to trade in your 335.

I think the ultimate garage would have both a BMW and a Porsche. Even though I would love to have the E90 M3, I will probably buy a 997 Carerra S first. Then I can always upgrade my 330i to an M3 about a year or so later.
__________________
2008 BMW 535i Space Gray, Black Leather, Dark Bamboo Trim| Sport Automatic with Paddles | Sport Package
2008 BMW M5 (gone, but not forgotten) Space Gray, Silverstone Merino Leather, Madeira Walnut Wood Trim | 7speed SMG | All options
Mods: Corsa Exhaust | RPI Ram Air Intake | H&R Sport Springs | Rogue Engineering 12mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #40
spearfisher
Lieutenant
spearfisher's Avatar
6
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: C6 ZO6
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
I don't think it makes much sense to have a 335 and an M3. They are still essentially different variations of the same car. If you really want the M3, you should seriously consider working out a deal to trade in your 335.

I think the ultimate garage would have both a BMW and a Porsche. Even though I would love to have the E90 M3, I will probably buy a 997 Carerra S first. Then I can always upgrade my 330i to an M3 about a year or so later.
I agree, it would be nice if you had the cayman and the M3, or if you want better performance, go with a used 911 turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
Blip Bavarian
salivator
Blip Bavarian's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
524
Posts

Drives: 991 C2S & E30 LS1
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: El Paso, Texas

iTrader: (0)

A year ago, i was faced with a similar decision. Buy a cayman S, or wait a year for the new M3. I decided to wait for two reasons. I likt that the M3 is less flashy IMO. And the fact that the cayman doesnt have an LSD.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #42
Turkm3
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: Porsche designe cayman S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon state

iTrader: (0)

I have the same problem!! almost?

I got almost the same problem i have been wanting an m3 for a very long time but when i was gonna buy my first car i coldn't cuz they were all sold out for 08. so i forgot about it and then i bought the new cayman s Limited Edition. but today (almost two moths from getting the cayman) i got a call from the dealers telling me they can order only one for the summer. but i don't know what to do i got less then a week. i love them both.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #43
OzStriker
Captain
OzStriker's Avatar
Australia
23
Rep
923
Posts

Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
Do you ever want to take more than one passenger? If so, go the M!
__________________
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #44
skierman64
Brigadier General
skierman64's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
3,068
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkm3 View Post
I got almost the same problem i have been wanting an m3 for a very long time but when i was gonna buy my first car i coldn't cuz they were all sold out for 08. so i forgot about it and then i bought the new cayman s Limited Edition. but today (almost two moths from getting the cayman) i got a call from the dealers telling me they can order only one for the summer. but i don't know what to do i got less then a week. i love them both.
It's simple math:

I'm sure there's probably some sorority girls that want to ride in your new car, in the Porsche you can only take one, in the sedan you can take 4. 4 is better than one. Nuff said.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST