BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Favorite car ~$100k?
Audi R8 49 25.79%
BMW M6 10 5.26%
Chevy Corvette ZR1 23 12.11%
Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR 9 4.74%
Porsche 911 GT3 99 52.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #67
94JZA80
Captain
 
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota, FL

Posts: 647
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Socrates View Post
Besides, C&D's credentials are a lot better than some random cry baby on the internet who owns a 14 year old Supra.
well there goes your credibility on these boards . looks like i inadvertently figured out how to push a Vette owner's buttons. had you simply stuck to "correcting" me and not make it personal, you might have avoided showing all of us the definition of immature...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Socrates View Post
First off it wasn't the ZR1 that turned in a faster lap time, it was the Z06. It's a bit ignorant to reference the wrong car and then write an argument based on that, wouldn't you say.
yes, i would...and i stand corrected. luckily for me, if you insert a "Z06" everywhere i mistakenly used "ZR1," and the argument still holds the same.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Socrates View Post
The fact is C&D attempted to do an "overall" performance test so they took into account that some cars may have an HP or Torque advantage but not a handling advantage. It was something they considered. I don't understand why you're dissing C&D to try and prove your incorrect point, there really is no need and it makes you sound immature.
you're pretty good at putting words in people's mouths...

i never said C&D didn't take the HP/TQ advantages into account - i DID say that, as much as they try to take it into account and minimize it, they cannot get rid of it, and they therefore cannot have an apples to apples comparison as hard as they might try.

i also didn't diss C&D - i said take their test results with a grain of salt...and i don't mean "don't always believe what you see"...after all, we did see the Vette win this competition and it wasn't an illusion. what i do mean is don't assume that b/c one test yields specific results that all other tests to follow (or even a majority of them) will yield the same results.

and i'm certainly not dissing C&D to try to prove an incorrect point. like i said before, i jumped the gun and said that the majority seems to be voting for the best performer, which was a poor choice of words seeing as how the Z06 was actually the best performer. what i meant to say is that it seems people are voting for the best handling/induced feedback/driver involved car. you obviously completely missed the concession in my last response that you were correct that the Z06 turned the fastest lap, which did in turn crown it the best performer in this particular review.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Socrates View Post
The Z06 was clearly the better peformer on this track than the GT3 by a few seconds. Live with it, or don't. Don't cry to the messenger.
don't worry...i haven't taken up issues with C&D . i'm perfectly content with their test results. and i'm perfectly content with the fact that C&D is one of many sources of automotive performance testing that will yield one of many results, only some of which the Z06 will come out the victor.

i am by no means a diehard Porsche fanboy AND a Vette hater. in fact i love both. and my vote for the Porsche certainly does not mean i hate the Vette. opinions are like assholes - everybody's got 'em, and everyone is going to voice his/her opinion whether you like it or not. so YOU live with it...or don't. if you'd like to make predictions on future tests and comparisons based on this one, that's perfectly fine. but if you want to just flat-out assume that, b/c the Vette dominated at one track, it will do the same almost everywhere else, then by all means go ahead...that's your prerogative.
__________________
.
94JZA80 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #68
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me View Post
6 series soooo fugly...
I'm shocked to hear the general concencus on this board is that:

- "the 6 series is ugly" or

- "the M6 isn't that great of a car for $100-110k considering all other cars in that price range"

- "I would rather have the M3/3-series over the M6/6-series"


I would've never guessed this on a bimmerfourm. I think the M6/series is a really nice car and have liked it since it came out.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #69
94JZA80
Captain
 
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota, FL

Posts: 647
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
I'm shocked to hear the general concencus on this board is that:

- "the 6 series is ugly" or

- "the M6 isn't that great of a car for $100-110k considering all other cars in that price range"

- "I would rather have the M3/3-series over the M6/6-series"


I would've never guessed this on a bimmerfourm. I think the M6/series is a really nice car and have liked it since it came out.
well i don't think the comment that " the 6 series is fugly" necessarily represents the general consensus...and i disagree with it as well. as forthe other comments...

...to be honest, of all the cars in the poll, the M6 probably is the least best (i didn't want to say "worst" ) in the performance category. and as cool as the M6 is, i'd rather sacrifice a bit (or even alot) of power for handling, resposiveness, and driver involvement...i'd take the M3 over the M6 too - even if the M3 becomes a dime a dozen and the M6 remains a rarity.
__________________
.
94JZA80 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #70
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Depends on the circumstances. If it was something I'd actually use frequently, an R8 for sure. If it was a track toy I'd get a GT3.

Still, to me the R8 = pure sex.
+1

You've spoken for me again
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #71
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
well i don't think the comment that " the 6 series is fugly" necessarily represents the general consensus...and i disagree with it as well. as forthe other comments...
I understand the "fugly" comment doesn't represent a general concencus but I've been reading the posts on this board for some months now and I've seen numerous posts referring to how unappealing the 6-series is.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #72
j_way3494
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: nowhere

Posts: 246
iTrader: (0)

gt3 no contest.
j_way3494 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #73
jhv
Lieutenant General
 
jhv's Avatar
 
Drives: Every Day
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 17,307
iTrader: (1)

i voted for the gt3 but damn that acr viper looks mean as hell and the performance is supposed to be amazing
jhv is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #74
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant
 
BayAreaE92's Avatar
 
Drives: 91' 850i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oakland, CA

Posts: 373
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1991 850i  [0.00]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Keep in mind that like the Corvette the GT3 has a higher end model!

I can't wait for a ZR1 v.s. GT3 RS match up...considering Porsche decides to engineer another!

This car will always be missed...
BayAreaE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #75
Ender514
General
 
Ender514's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philly

Posts: 21,002
iTrader: (0)

I pick the GT2.......

Ender514 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #76
Krueger///M3
Major
 
Krueger///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearl District, OR

Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
he is correct in that the ZR1 did turn the faster lap time...and i suppose fastest lap is what defines the best performer in this test. how much heed you give to a C&D test i'll leave up to you



...i did not however think i would have to make reference to the fact that we're inherently comparing apples and oranges here. if we could somehow eliminate the ungodly power/torque advantage of the ZR1, or at least reduce it to the point where we could say with some confidence that the power & torque bands aren't the biggest factors attributed to the ZR1's better lap time, then we would be way closer to an apples to apples comparison and, on that level playing field, see if the Vette can make up time in the corners, not just the straights - alas, no such comparison exists, nor ever will because the difference in their power/torque will always be what it is now. and so while i can't say that it was definitely the power/torque advantage and the time it made up on the straights that led to the ZR1's better lap time, nobody can disprove the theory either based on this review, courtesy of C&D's of insufficiently detailed data logging - C&D doesn't give detailed enough data to tell who's going faster on different parts of the track. sure they talk a bit about sector times, but they don't even show a map of the test track (VIR), let alone one broken down into sectors. and even sector times are not specific enough to say outright that one car is better in the corners than another. if you want to assume that the ZR1 is the better performing car based on one lap time on one specific layout of VIR (the largest layout), be my guest. that particular layout may have longer/more numerous straights and wide sweeping turns (and hence favor a car with fat power/torque bands that start at low rpms) than a smaller VIR layout, or just a smaller circuit altogether.



i think that's a bit more accurate. to assume that, because one car outperformed another in one automotive review, it will do the same in all instances is a bit ignorant, don't you think? again, its a C&D review...take it with a grain of salt

+1
Krueger///M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #77
Krueger///M3
Major
 
Krueger///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearl District, OR

Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Socrates View Post
First off it wasn't the ZR1 that turned in a faster lap time, it was the Z06. It's a bit ignorant to reference the wrong car and then write an argument based on that, wouldn't you say?

Secondly, C&D picked VIR to test a "combination of braking, acceleration, power, grip, and handling." Sure maybe on some track in Germany the GT3 turns in a time 1 second better, or maybe in some guy's backyard farm track the Z06 turns in a time 10 seconds faster. The fact is C&D attempted to do an "overall" performance test so they took into account that some cars may have an HP or Torque advantage but not a handling advantage. It was something they considered. I don't understand why you're dissing C&D to try and prove your incorrect point, there really is no need and it makes you sound immature. The Z06 was clearly the better peformer on the track than the GT3 by a few seconds. Live with it, or don't. Don't cry to the messenger.

Besides, C&D's credentials are a lot better than some random cry baby on the internet who owns a 14 year old Supra.

A Corvette racing on "some farm track" does sound accurate. But ouch, don't dis the Supra just because you have a "Corvette" and happen to be awesome.
Krueger///M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #78
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,256
iTrader: (0)

There's no reason to disagree with another's choice in this poll. Just let it be.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #79
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
 
ChineseGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: Black E90
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North Pole

Posts: 1,500
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaE92 View Post
Keep in mind that like the Corvette the GT3 has a higher end model!

I can't wait for a ZR1 v.s. GT3 RS match up...considering Porsche decides to engineer another!
ZR1 vs GT2 would sound more comparable

600+hp vs. 500+....
ChineseGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #80
Krueger///M3
Major
 
Krueger///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearl District, OR

Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Glad I could provide you with a laugh, no prob.
Krueger///M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #81
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Hula-Hula's Avatar
 
Drives: ♥
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nürburgring

Posts: 1,970
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaE92 View Post
Keep in mind that like the Corvette the GT3 has a higher end model!

This car will always be missed...
OMG RS... so sexy!!!
________
Maine Dispensary
________
Drug Test
________
Problems With Nexium

Last edited by Hula-Hula; 08-27-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Hula-Hula is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 02:26 AM   #82
Neema
Major General
 
Neema's Avatar
 
Drives: a few BMWs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal

Posts: 7,224
iTrader: (12)

GT3 without the slightest hesitation. Went to Porsche of Newport today and talked to someone about GT3's and was told that 997 GT3 production is going to end in a few months and thats it for the GT3. Man its an awesome car! I see a dark fighter jet grey one on Oso Parkway all the time and DAMN does that thing have an aggressive presence! You have to see these things in real life to truly appreciate them.
__________________

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Neema is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 02:29 AM   #83
Neema
Major General
 
Neema's Avatar
 
Drives: a few BMWs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal

Posts: 7,224
iTrader: (12)

oh yea...















__________________

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Neema is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 02:57 AM   #84
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (0)

GT3 has no A/C and it's a 6 speed only.

That's a no-go for me. It's too damn hot in SoCal to not have an A/C. F-that ish.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #85
Neema
Major General
 
Neema's Avatar
 
Drives: a few BMWs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal

Posts: 7,224
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
GT3 has no A/C and it's a 6 speed only.

That's a no-go for me. It's too damn hot in SoCal to not have an A/C. F-that ish.
what are you talking about....get your facts straight. The Carrera GT, GT2, GT3, and even the GT3 RS have A/C.
__________________

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Neema is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #86
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,811
iTrader: (23)

I would get an M3 coupe and a 4 Runner for that price. Even if I had that cash, I don't think I would spend it all on a car...

Id rather have a nice big house...
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #87
yellowg555
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Torrance, CA

Posts: 396
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yellowg555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
I would get an M3 coupe and a 4 Runner for that price. Even if I had that cash, I don't think I would spend it all on a car...

Id rather have a nice big house...
It's all relative to who's buying, right? I am in the same boat as you, but if some dudes got a crap ton of money, $100k may not mean as much as it does to you and me.

Not trying to hate on Porsche, but why can't they come up with a different design? lol...every single 911 looks the same as the previous. My friend calls them "turtles on wheels".
__________________
2006 Jet Black 325i, ZPP, ZSP, Steptronic Auto, Navi, Xenon
yellowg555 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #88
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,811
iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowg555 View Post
It's all relative to who's buying, right? I am in the same boat as you, but if some dudes got a crap ton of money, $100k may not mean as much as it does to you and me.

Not trying to hate on Porsche, but why can't they come up with a different design? lol...every single 911 looks the same as the previous. My friend calls them "turtles on wheels".
Then I go balls to the wall. DBS, F430 spyder, and RR Supercharged. That would complete a nice garage... Maybe the M3 as a dd.


But I am a realist, and unless I win the lottery, it isnt happening...
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST