BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 M3 sedan
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

18s better ride than 19s...

I know 19s look much better but I have seen pics of 18s on all the 'red coupes' that were first drives by all the car reviewers in Spain last year when BMW launched M3......also 18s would be more comfortable on the highway - -so other than purely on looks to fill out the wheel well, I think 18s are way to go....
Johndoe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
ACZakka325i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ACZakka325i's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 3.5 M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CT

Posts: 1,756
iTrader: (2)

Are you trying to convince yourself to save the $1,200?

I think i will be getting some after market wheels later on and keeping these for the winter.
__________________
2013 535i xdrive(Current)
2008 E92 M3 (Gone)
2006 E90 325i (Gone)
2002 E46 325xi (Gone)
1991 E30 325i (Gone)
ACZakka325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RandyB's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,504
iTrader: (0)

The 19s just look too good to pass up, IMO.
RandyB is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,369
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
I know 19s look much better but I have seen pics of 18s on all the 'red coupes' that were first drives by all the car reviewers in Spain last year when BMW launched M3......also 18s would be more comfortable on the highway - -so other than purely on looks to fill out the wheel well, I think 18s are way to go....
If you like the looks, go for them. Less expensive, "slightly" better ride and the tires are less expensive. Going 19s myself.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
OzStriker
Captain
 
OzStriker's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 923
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
I am yet to see 18s IRL...I have seen some photos of 18s on AW and it looks pretty mean...Im a sucker though, went 19s
OzStriker is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
dillon733
Major
 
dillon733's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: new york

Posts: 1,126
iTrader: (2)

if your that concerend maybe this isn't the right car for you its a pretty rough ride just transmition wise alon and with lpt's it will be even rougher
dillon733 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
Mark
Administrator
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,924
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
From a performance standpoint, the 18" wheels will be a noticeable difference IMO, especially if you are able to pair up some sticky rubber with some relativly light weight wheels (BBS). The problem is that, especially on the E90/E92 body, 18" wheels will look a bit small IMO, so 19" are the better choice from an appearance standpoint. But in my opinion, I think there is a noticeable performance gain in going from 19" -> 18"; and on the same token a noticable visual gain going from 18" -> 19". Its the eternally difficult choice to make.

Another option is to get an exotic lightweight 19" wheel.

They say when deciding on wheels, there are 3 factors to choose from, price, performance, looks. Any given wheel will only have 2 of the 3 factors.

Its too bad they dont make wheels in 18.5" huh?

Personally, if I got the 18" wheels, I would get them blacked out, so the wheels and tire would all look the same and negate the whole looks thing alltogether
__________________
The new beast. BMW M5.
Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
e46e92love
Brigadier General
 
e46e92love's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

Posts: 3,034
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
From a performance standpoint, the 18" wheels will be a noticeable difference IMO, especially if you are able to pair up some sticky rubber with some relativly light weight wheels (BBS). The problem is that, especially on the E90/E92 body, 18" wheels will look a bit small IMO, so 19" are the better choice from an appearance standpoint. But in my opinion, I think there is a noticeable performance gain in going from 19" -> 18"; and on the same token a noticable visual gain going from 18" -> 19". Its the eternally difficult choice to make.

Another option is to get an exotic lightweight 19" wheel.

They say when deciding on wheels, there are 3 factors to choose from, price, performance, looks. Any given wheel will only have 2 of the 3 factors.

Its too bad they dont make wheels in 18.5" huh?

Personally, if I got the 18" wheels, I would get them blacked out, so the wheels and tire would all look the same and negate the whole looks thing alltogether
Mark, would say that the reason why 18s are better is mostly because of weight? And if that is the case, then 19s that way the same or less than 18s will perform the same?
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 M3 sedan
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

will check out the auto show and see....

I am getting the sedan and need practicality so deciding on 18s but do not want them to look absurd/ too small .... - -currently have 17s on my 330i (PS2) so same tyre as M3 and ride quality is fine. I think M3 in normal or comfort should be fine and the M button is always there....This is a daily driver with fair amount of highway miles so need to be reasonably comfortable ..... well will go to auto show tomorrow and check out M3 and see how the 19s look in real life and decide...I think they will not have the 18s on the exhibition cars...
Johndoe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,521
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Mark, would say that the reason why 18s are better is mostly because of weight? And if that is the case, then 19s that way the same or less than 18s will perform the same?
Even at the same weight the 18's will slightly outperform 19's, because the 19's will carry more of it's weight towards the outside of the wheel/tire combination, the rim is still further from the center, giving a larger moment of inertia, requiring more energy to spin up and slow down.

The smaller sidewalls may give better response at turn-in but you'll give it up in harshness and small bump absorption. It's not like comparing 35 series tires to 50 series tires in either case. I have 18's and 19's on my Cayman and swapping between them the degredation in ride quality is noticeable, but the 19's look better, even on a small car.
consolidated is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Russell Mania
Private
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

..its the design of the rims.. there are 18' that look a big as 19' and there are 18' that looks like 16'..in terms of wheel well the 19' wont full it up any more than the 18' if you maintain factory wheel specs.. even if you plus size with the 19' you can also plus size with the 18'..bottom line: go with what you like..the difference is too small for the bellyaching..
Russell Mania is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
Jack's dad
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

FWIW, I posed this question to the editor of Bimmer magazine and she recommended 18's for the M3, citing better overall performance, i.e. ride, handling, etc.

I went with 18's on my sedan order, even though based upon the pictures I have seen the 19's certainly look better to my eye. Money was not the deciding factor; ride and some bad roads around my office that could have messed up the 19's clinched it for me. Plus the fact that my dealer told me that 19's would have added months to my wait...

Steve
Jack's dad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
Sick Speed
Speed
 
Sick Speed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parallel Universe

Posts: 407
iTrader: (2)

The difference is noticeable only when you consider the wheel design itself.

A more slender spoke design on an 18 can visually appear as tall as a 19.

However, the style 189 wheels that come standard with the sport package look almost as large as a 19 because the star pattern is much thicker. Plus the spoke pattern is flared where it joins the rim and it gives the wheel a lot of depth.

Prior to taking delivery of my 335 I had almost decided on the BBS RS GT - but when I saw the 189 IRL I began to notice how well it fits with the overall styling of the 335.

What I have decided to do now is increase the tire size and add spacers to make the tires flush with the fender wells and drop on KV2s.

I really like the 189 wheel now that I see it every day.

SS
__________________
Sick Speed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
marcos
Private First Class
 
marcos's Avatar
 
Drives: jerez m3 coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's dad View Post
FWIW, I posed this question to the editor of Bimmer magazine and she recommended 18's for the M3, citing better overall performance, i.e. ride, handling, etc.

I went with 18's on my sedan order, even though based upon the pictures I have seen the 19's certainly look better to my eye. Money was not the deciding factor; ride and some bad roads around my office that could have messed up the 19's clinched it for me. Plus the fact that my dealer told me that 19's would have added months to my wait...

Steve
I too ordered the car with 18's. I was nervous about the delay for the 19's. My lease is up in April and I'm already over the miles. I love my 19's CSL/ZCP wheels. If I don't like the 18's I'll switch them over to snows and get BBS wheels.(Just don't tell the wife how much they'll cost....)
marcos is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
lol i passed on 19's. couldnt afford them, unless i sell my other wheels
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #16
mdrobc13
Major
 
mdrobc13's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW 550i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On a base somewhere near or afar!

Posts: 1,482
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos View Post
If I don't like the 18's I'll switch them over to snows and get BBS wheels.(Just don't tell the wife how much they'll cost....)
I am with you there brotha! Rule of thumb is to always subtract 10% off the price before I tell the wife the cost of my toys! Keeps her sane and me happy! LOL
__________________
'12 F10 550i (Dinan Stage 5, LSD, Intercoolers, CF Intake/Brace, Shockware, Springs, Eisenmann Race Exhaust, CF front/rear difuser, Giovanni Graphite 20" wheels)
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'06 e85 Z4 M Roadster (Black Metallic) -Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
mdrobc13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST