BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
rmashman
Private
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

Sycamore Anthracite Wood Trim

I am still on my search for the interior trim. I am going to order the extended silver leather.

Does anyone have any photos/comments on this trim? Is it really black/grey in tone or does it have some brown?

I checked through all of the cars on the USBMW site and they all have other grey/back woods. The Sycamore Anthracite seems exclusive to the M3.

Thanks for the input.
rmashman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,345
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmashman View Post
I am still on my search for the interior trim. I am going to order the extended silver leather.

Does anyone have any photos/comments on this trim? Is it really black/grey in tone or does it have some brown?

I checked through all of the cars on the USBMW site and they all have other grey/back woods. The Sycamore Anthracite seems exclusive to the M3.
I haven't seen any actual photos of it installed. Here is the image from the ordering guide. I don't typically like woods in sporting cars, but this is close to black and might not be bad.
Attached Images
 
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

I think this might be it???
Attached Images
 
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,345
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I think this might be it???
Yes, you're right. Makes sense in the convertible, which might be considered more luxury oriented.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Yes, you're right. Makes sense in the convertible, which might be considered more luxury oriented.
Yeah, but I agree that wood is not the best material for a sports car interior. Piano Black, which is not available in the US, might look nice, but I would be concerned with stratches.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmashman View Post
I am still on my search for the interior trim. I am going to order the extended silver leather.

Does anyone have any photos/comments on this trim? Is it really black/grey in tone or does it have some brown?

I checked through all of the cars on the USBMW site and they all have other grey/back woods. The Sycamore Anthracite seems exclusive to the M3.

Thanks for the input.
If you are going with silver leather, I would consider Aluminum or the Carbon Leather trim. I don't think Sycamore Anthracite will look all that good with silver. It looks fine with Bamboo though in the pic above.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 M3 sedan
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

I think wood would also go well with black interior as it is dark but I agree with above post - sliver may be too much of a contrast....I may get wood with black interior come to think of it
Johndoe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

IMHO, Aluminum looks great with black leather. I think a few pics for that combo has been posted here. I haven't seen pics of the black/wood combo.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
 
FifthStreetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Posts: 15,502
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
The wood trim look is a bit old for me. I dont think it belongs on a sports car, on a S class Mercedez or 7 series yes.
__________________
FifthStreetz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #10
rmashman
Private
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
The wood trim look is a bit old for me. I dont think it belongs on a sports car, on a S class Mercedez or 7 series yes.
Thanks for your comments.

You guys may be right about wood in a sports car. I just don't like the stamped carbon leather. I think the aluminum is just too bright and clashes with the extended silver leather. So that's why I am attracted to the standard Titanium Shadow. To get it, thought, I have to forgo the premium package. Fortunately, you can get most of the content of the package as individual options.
rmashman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #11
consolidated
Major
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,489
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmashman View Post
Thanks for your comments.

You guys may be right about wood in a sports car. I just don't like the stamped carbon leather. I think the aluminum is just too bright and clashes with the extended silver leather. So that's why I am attracted to the standard Titanium Shadow. To get it, thought, I have to forgo the premium package. Fortunately, you can get most of the content of the package as individual options.
I agree with you. The carbon leather is visually and intellectually confused, it's a bastard offspring that should have never seen daylight. Frankly, it might as well be vinyl, surely it doesn't look anything like leather. I'd rather just have plain leather trim.

Aluminum is too high contrast and cold, it jumps out too much and doesn't compliment any of the interior colors. It also looks like every other car out there now, 8 years ago it was novel, now it's in trucks.

I wish Sycamore was more black with just a hint of wood grain showing thru, because the interior needs a bit of reflectance to offset all the matte finishes.

Piano black would be perfect in the fox red, silver or black interiors. Hopefully someone resourceful will be able to bring it in bulk for a reasonable cost and those with carbon leather can sell it to 3 series owners, who'll may kill for the stuff.
consolidated is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
JPH
Second Lieutenant
 
JPH's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
I agree with you. The carbon leather is visually and intellectually confused, it's a bastard offspring that should have never seen daylight. Frankly, it might as well be vinyl, surely it doesn't look anything like leather. I'd rather just have plain leather trim.

Aluminum is too high contrast and cold, it jumps out too much and doesn't compliment any of the interior colors. It also looks like every other car out there now, 8 years ago it was novel, now it's in trucks.

I wish Sycamore was more black with just a hint of wood grain showing thru, because the interior needs a bit of reflectance to offset all the matte finishes.

Piano black would be perfect in the fox red, silver or black interiors. Hopefully someone resourceful will be able to bring it in bulk for a reasonable cost and those with carbon leather can sell it to 3 series owners, who'll may kill for the stuff.
I completely agree with Consolidated. I consulted my car designing brother and he had much the same to say. They should have just put CF in instead of the carbon-leather. I ordered the sycamore anthracite with FR and if I do not like the wood...I am going to tear it off, sand it down and have it painted either piano black or SG to match the exterior. Sometimes, you gotta be creative to get what you want.
JPH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
 
Voltigeur's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (0)

1. the silver looks great w/ grey leather - but agree w/ the above; it's in cars way down to sub-20k, so not as special as it used to be
2. CF leather - why?!! CF roof can be done, just add in a bit more - it is a "bastard child"
3. I don't agree that wood is not sporting. Fact is wood's got a wonderful heritage in sports cars - so maybe posters mean F1-type, ie racing sporting in the post-modern, composite era. Funny thing is that wood is still used in F1 cars today - just not the dash
4. I think the wood goes well w/ bamboo. I'm not drawn to it w/ the rest.

I suspect the CF is the main default - just wish it were true CF.

For those getting custom piano black: nice idea and good luck w/ that.
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-14-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
drvai
Major
 
drvai's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 1,258
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
I completely agree with Consolidated. I consulted my car designing brother and he had much the same to say. They should have just put CF in instead of the carbon-leather. I ordered the sycamore anthracite with FR and if I do not like the wood...I am going to tear it off, sand it down and have it painted either piano black or SG to match the exterior. Sometimes, you gotta be creative to get what you want.
I can't agree more with you. And the problem with anthracite is that it has a "brownish" tone that it's definetely not sporty. A black wood would have been nice. Brown with fox red interior:

Now, nobody mentioned the titanium shadow. It's the standard trim, and seems to be quite neutral. Seems to match the fox red.

I was going to order the premium pack just for the carbon leather trim, but after I saw TS, that was it.
Attached Images
 
drvai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #15
SeanFitz
Private
 
SeanFitz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 BMW 330Ci
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

here's black with wood, which looks pretty good i think. i don't have the problem with wood in a sporting car that many here seem to. still, none of our options are great.

obviously plenty of aftermarket trims will be available as well, though i don't really like this hartge carbon fiber. i like JPH's idea of trim painted in the car's exterior color, like in certain porsches...that could look really good.
Attached Images
  
SeanFitz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2008, 01:26 AM   #16
Big Windy
Major General
 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
I was going to order the premium pack just for the carbon leather trim, but after I saw TS, that was it.

could be mistaken here...but i thought that TS was not available with premium pack? or am i misreading your post? is it $500 standalone?
Big Windy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2008, 02:14 AM   #17
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
 
FifthStreetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Posts: 15,502
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
could be mistaken here...but i thought that TS was not available with premium pack? or am i misreading your post? is it $500 standalone?
Titanium Shadow is standard, it does not cost $500.
__________________
FifthStreetz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #18
Big Windy
Major General
 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Titanium Shadow is standard, it does not cost $500.
no shit...guess i should stop smoking all that weed. haha. thanks.
Big Windy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #19
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,345
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
TS trim with ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
could be mistaken here...but i thought that TS was not available with premium pack? or am i misreading your post? is it $500 standalone?
Not sure if anyone has tried to pick it with Premium. It is in the no cost basic spec., however, the way the Ordering Guide reads you do not have that choice with ZPP. You can do stand-alone leather, but you cannot get the folding mirrors, Assist, UGDO or compass mirror as standalone. The UGDO can be added by chaning out the mirror, I believe.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #20
the_stranger
Captain
 
the_stranger's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lafayette, IN

Posts: 927
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I dont this wood would go with the silver. May be because I dont like Wood interiors at all.
__________________

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
the_stranger is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I think this might be it???
Indeed it is. Thanks for posting Lucid; me likey.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Indeed it is. Thanks for posting Lucid; me likey.
What color combo do you have in mind? I might have considered wood with FR if it was darker, like a real black finish.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST