BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

01-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
nyc_dude
Private

Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue/FR

New DLR BMW M3 spotted in So Cal

I was driving south on the 5/405 in the North San Fernando Valley in So Cal today, Jan. 25 around noon, and guess what I saw?

It had 4 tail pipes, a V8, was a black coupe, and was as German as a Panzer Tank from WWII.

New Black BMW M3 Coupe with Dealer plates or maybe the dude was a Dentist, I forget the difference.

The M3 headed West on the 118 to the deep dark valley. A new 2008 BMW X5 was nearby pacing the BMW M3.

The only interesting thing is the antenna attacked to the trunk looked like a cheap CB Radio Antenna. Either the driver was not trustworthy and was being tracked, or it was for transmitting performance telemetry.

The driver was not German. I figured the car was being transported between dealers, or might still be in testing by BMW NA. Maybe trying out the new DCT tranny for the first time in NA. But this car was not being disguised in any way.

The only other possibility was that it was being tested by an Automotive Magazine. Talk about untrustworthy with a need to track the M3's every movement.

Finally maybe it is a BMW M3 destined for use in a movie. The Ford Shelby GT500 was used in I Am Legend filmed in NYC and the 2009 Camaro Prototype was used in the Transformers Movie.

BMW has surprised some European customers with early deliveries by a month or so. Maybe this is a hint of what's to come in So Cal for some lucky new M3 Daddy's.

Call your dealer if you are on the waiting list to wish them an early President's Day or Valentine's Day. And stay by the phone...good news may be coming.

All just speculation of course.

Sorry no pix. Blackberry Pearl only has a 1.3 MB camera and it was raining.

As the little girl in Poltergeist said. 'They're Here.....'

Cheers,
nyc_dude is offline   United_States
      01-26-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
OzStriker
Captain

Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
OzStriker is offline   Australia
      01-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon

Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

OzStrike:

It's actually just ...this thread is worthless.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
OC ///M is offline   United_States
      01-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
uthatch
Private First Class

Drives: AW/FR E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
I was driving south on the 5/405 in the North San Fernando Valley in So Cal today, Jan. 25 around noon, and guess what I saw?

It had 4 tail pipes, a V8, was a black coupe, and was as German as a Panzer Tank from WWII.

New Black BMW M3 Coupe with Dealer plates or maybe the dude was a Dentist, I forget the difference.

The M3 headed West on the 118 to the deep dark valley. A new 2008 BMW X5 was nearby pacing the BMW M3.

The only interesting thing is the antenna attacked to the trunk looked like a cheap CB Radio Antenna. Either the driver was not trustworthy and was being tracked, or it was for transmitting performance telemetry.

The driver was not German. I figured the car was being transported between dealers, or might still be in testing by BMW NA. Maybe trying out the new DCT tranny for the first time in NA. But this car was not being disguised in any way.

The only other possibility was that it was being tested by an Automotive Magazine. Talk about untrustworthy with a need to track the M3's every movement.

Finally maybe it is a BMW M3 destined for use in a movie. The Ford Shelby GT500 was used in I Am Legend filmed in NYC and the 2009 Camaro Prototype was used in the Transformers Movie.

BMW has surprised some European customers with early deliveries by a month or so. Maybe this is a hint of what's to come in So Cal for some lucky new M3 Daddy's.

Call your dealer if you are on the waiting list to wish them an early President's Day or Valentine's Day. And stay by the phone...good news may be coming.

All just speculation of course.

Sorry no pix. Blackberry Pearl only has a 1.3 MB camera and it was raining.

As the little girl in Poltergeist said. 'They're Here.....'

Cheers,
I've been lurking here since early December when I placed a deposit on an M3 and don't have too much to say normally, but I thought I might speak up here.

Those vehicles you saw today I've been seeing since early last summer. I live in Studio City and my office is in Palmdale so I have an against traffic commute every day. I sometimes take a back road (Soledad Canyon) on my motorcycle and saw M3's and 1's in a caravan probably 8-10 times over the last year on this road. Always black with light disguise. I also see them from time to time in the exact same place you did today. In fact, about 6 or 7 months ago I was actually sitting along side an M3 at a traffic light in Palmdale. No disguise this time. Yet another time this past November I was traveling south on the 14 and saw a black M3 and this time it was shadowed by an SUV that was heavily disguised. It was a small SUV, but I could not tell what model it was.

So apparently they do a lot of testing out that way. I imagine Willow Springs has a lot to do with it. A good friend of mine was making a delivery at Willow and saw the caravan leaving the track one day last summer.

I know, I know I should have taken cell phone pics and without them this means nothing, but it's all true and with or without pics what does it matter anyway? Still can't have our cars until this summer/
uthatch is offline   United_States
      01-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

one question? how do you know the driver was not German?

more speculation? or was he Asian?
      01-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #6
Jimmyz
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3 or Audi S5 (soon!)

I saw a black E92 M3 on PCH in Malibu in August... they have been spotted numerous times over the last few months on US soil (mainly the west coast), not really a big deal.
      01-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
kishg
Private First Class

Drives: 2003 540i/6

well he says the car was as german as a panzer tank so maybe he was expecting a blue eyed blonde in wehrmacht uniform to be driving it oh and it was being tracked!!! LOL
BMWCCA #360858 SCCA# 374179 NASA # 128290