BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
E90ice
Banned
 
E90ice's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA

Posts: 2,004
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up Quatro failed in snow!

Who said quattro is better in the snow?

"well i had a little accident in the snow slammed into a curb and messed up the front suspension really bad so far the entire lower control arms have been replaced and now the wheel bearing to all sucks"

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184497



It probably understeered into the curb...

T-Bone, this thread is all yours!!
__________________
E90ice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
 
TheAcAvenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 757, VA

Posts: 3,088
iTrader: (1)

I'd probably say the guy thought quattro made him immune. I drove the current gen AWD acura RL in the snow and it does a really nice job, but you can get it to slide everywhere if you want it to. It's alot like people who drive their suv's 100mph in the rain as if being tall and 4wd makes them immune to the laws of traction.

At the end of the day, you're only as good in the wet as your brain, your pedal modulation, and your tires.
__________________
2007 E92 335i - TC Kline DA Coilovers, HPA M3 Suspension Retrofit, Quaife LSD, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, Volk TE-37s, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Forge DVs, Stett OC, RB Turbos, Procede V5, PWM Meth, Helix IC, EAS DCI, Rixster VEI, M-Tech Sides, OEM Aero Lip, Rieger Spoiler, Vorsteiner V-35 Hood, Performance Steering Wheel, Anthracite Headliner, OSS Headlights
TheAcAvenger is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
 
Crimson92's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

Posts: 28,621
iTrader: (3)

some people learn the hard way
__________________
Quote:
Some people are like slinkies...not really good for much but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"
Crimson92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
E90ice
Banned
 
E90ice's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA

Posts: 2,004
iTrader: (0)

The reason I posted this (besides feeding this to T-Bone ) is because Audi drivers think RWD is crap and Quattro is invincible.

They always say: "Race the BMW in the wet/snow and see what happens."

Well, at least my 335 is safe in the snow, because it's not going anywhere.
__________________
E90ice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,242
iTrader: (0)

Anyone who races in the wet/snow just isn't thinking. AWD "security" is a joke if you're gonna race in less than adequate conditions.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,242
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAvant
Good thing he wasnt in a BMW!!! Damn car would have exploded
omg...must...not...commence...forum war!
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
 
Drives: 06 E90
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Your car is only as good as your tires. PERIOD. But I would have to say that my mothers A8 is THE BEST snow car I have ever driven.

My father new Range Rover was great in the snow, but lacked breaking skills due to weight and center of gravity.

My lifted Jeep was great in the snow, but lacked breaking due to the same reasons as the RR.

My fathers RL aspec (daily driver) is worthless due to the tires becuase he just put a set of ps2's.

All of the trucks I have driven in the snow like Ford f-150, 250, C3's, ect suck in snow storms. The rear is tooo light plus the center of gravity weight ect.....

But if you read my post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108675 you will see my experience..

Audi's and 4matics and xi's are the best things to be driving in snow from 0-6 inches. Due to the low center of gravity, great weight distrabition, and great breaking systems they will out perform any other veichles equipted with the same tires.

With tons of snow on the ground, you need low diff. Therefore car's are out of the picture.

But with talking about Quatro in general, it has to be one of the best (if not the best) awd systems in the world. But your system is only as good as the driver and the tires.
L~R~G nor cal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
dmkaldas
*Rollin 3rd*
 
dmkaldas's Avatar
 
Drives: Something fast
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chino Hills

Posts: 1,024
iTrader: (13)

ha!
__________________
dmkaldas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
 
TheAcAvenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 757, VA

Posts: 3,088
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
The reason I posted this (besides feeding this to T-Bone ) is because Audi drivers think RWD is crap and Quattro is invincible.

They always say: "Race the BMW in the wet/snow and see what happens."

Well, at least my 335 is safe in the snow, because it's not going anywhere.
Hahahah, I had the same experience this weekend. It snowed saturday morning and my car hasn't moved since.

But if it were raining hard, I would honestly rather have quattro than RWD. I always find it funny on the highway when it starts pouring and you see every 250+hp rwd car moving over to the right lane going 60 in a 65.
__________________
2007 E92 335i - TC Kline DA Coilovers, HPA M3 Suspension Retrofit, Quaife LSD, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, Volk TE-37s, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Forge DVs, Stett OC, RB Turbos, Procede V5, PWM Meth, Helix IC, EAS DCI, Rixster VEI, M-Tech Sides, OEM Aero Lip, Rieger Spoiler, Vorsteiner V-35 Hood, Performance Steering Wheel, Anthracite Headliner, OSS Headlights
TheAcAvenger is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
md80tom
Private
 
Drives: 2006 AW 330i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
The reason I posted this (besides feeding this to T-Bone ) is because Audi drivers think RWD is crap and Quattro is invincible.

They always say: "Race the BMW in the wet/snow and see what happens."

Well, at least my 335 is safe in the snow, because it's not going anywhere.
Both sides has their fair shares of highly egotistical morons. Let's not feed the fire here and leave it alone. Only continues a bad name.

let's face it. People can't drive.

EDIT: you know, i'll be a dick too.
md80tom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
MTV
Banned
 
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,906
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
omg...must...not...commence...forum war!
MTV is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #12
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,242
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
haha
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #13
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,242
iTrader: (0)

Damnit. Elmer Fudd was supposed to shoot that guy on the right.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #14
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtiTom View Post
Both sides has their fair shares of highly egotistical morons. Let's not feed the fire here and leave it alone. Only continues a bad name.

let's face it. People can't drive.

EDIT: you know, i'll be a dick too.

Ah Youtube war....



Here is an Audi getting owned by the track by understeer and getting owned by SNOW.....wait, Quattro is supposed to give Audi's traction???!!!??? What happened??

EDIT: SAD part is that this is an accurate representation of understeer, no-traction on dirt, and Quattro's inability to ski.






Apparently Audis also understeer into buses too.

__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 12:28 AM   #15
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 61,024
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L~R~G nor cal View Post
Your car is only as good as your tires. PERIOD. But I would have to say that my mothers A8 is THE BEST snow car I have ever driven.

My father new Range Rover was great in the snow, but lacked breaking skills due to weight and center of gravity.

My lifted Jeep was great in the snow, but lacked breaking due to the same reasons as the RR.

My fathers RL aspec (daily driver) is worthless due to the tires becuase he just put a set of ps2's.

All of the trucks I have driven in the snow like Ford f-150, 250, C3's, ect suck in snow storms. The rear is tooo light plus the center of gravity weight ect.....

But if you read my post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108675 you will see my experience..

Audi's and 4matics and xi's are the best things to be driving in snow from 0-6 inches. Due to the low center of gravity, great weight distrabition, and great breaking systems they will out perform any other veichles equipted with the same tires.

With tons of snow on the ground, you need low diff. Therefore car's are out of the picture.

But with talking about Quatro in general, it has to be one of the best (if not the best) awd systems in the world. But your system is only as good as the driver and the tires.
+1
If you attend any "Performance Driving School", they all first teach you vehicle dynamics. Which the most important thing on your car are the tires.
And the only thing the keeps the car going forward or stopping are the four little (approx. only the size of your palm) tire patches that in contact on road surface.
Once the contact/friction (i.e. grip) is gone....ur car is bound for an accident....
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #16
md80tom
Private
 
Drives: 2006 AW 330i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Ah Youtube war....



Here is an Audi getting owned by the track by understeer and getting owned by SNOW.....wait, Quattro is supposed to give Audi's traction???!!!??? What happened??

EDIT: SAD part is that this is an accurate representation of understeer, no-traction on dirt, and Quattro's inability to ski.






Apparently Audis also understeer into buses too.

mmm, nice videos. i didn't know this was a youtube war but alright.
I was attacking the OP for posting useless crap because I could've said the same about BMW drivers who floor it during a turn and go off into the grass because he thought, for no reason, that the porsche driver was the "shit."

Oh yes, the 2nd video, wasn't understeer. That was called slamming on the brakes and it locking up.

Ignorance floods too many minds.


EDIT: oh yeah, have you ever been to a road course? nevermind that. The audi was on the brakes, which in return may have caused the wheels to lock up. When its wheels lock up without the touch of the gas pedal, the wheels stay in the same motion. Its not like the Audi driver in the first vid knew what he was doing when he went off because he didn't, especially if he saw the snow dam up ahead. There is nothing there that showed proof of Quattros inability to "maneuver" in snow because the it didn't seem as if the audi driver was trying to drive away from the dam. Under panic, he tried to stop. As for many amateur drivers out there who "go off." So take your bullcrap away because I know Audi's early model audis understeer more than their newer models. So finding other youtube videos that may prove justice to your logic isn't going to help out the argument here.
md80tom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #17
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
The only advantage AWD gives you in the snow is traction to move forward and helps up to a point in cornering but when it comes to braking it is of no advantage what so ever.

Quattro has incredible grip in slippy conditions and this has been proven on numerous occasions.








Is Audi and Quattro better than the rest, I will leave this final ad to answer that question.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #18
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

Quattro = XI = AWD = 4X4 = SH-AWD

WTF? Isn't it the same........please explain difference.
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 01:37 AM   #19
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,242
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Is Audi and Quattro better than the rest, I will leave this final ad to answer that question.
Wah? Awesome ad! Never seen it before.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #20
E90ice
Banned
 
E90ice's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA

Posts: 2,004
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The only advantage AWD gives you in the snow is traction to move forward and helps up to a point in cornering but when it comes to braking it is of no advantage what so ever.

Quattro has incredible grip in slippy conditions and this has been proven on numerous occasions.








Is Audi and Quattro better than the rest, I will leave this final ad to answer that question.

Could you also show us some commercials?
That would definately prove your point.
__________________
E90ice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #21
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
 
Drives: 06 E90
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
Quattro = XI = AWD = 4X4 = SH-AWD

WTF? Isn't it the same........please explain difference.

SH-AWD is a all wheel drive system that is not always full engaged. It only converts to AWD when the control system sences a slip.

AWD and 4x4 in my option are different. When I think of awd I think of a car without a transfer case for low diff. Therefore 4x4 has a low diff..
L~R~G nor cal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #22
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I see it differently Quattro is permanent AWD and others like the X-Drive are more reactive which is great on the road and in normal winter weather conditions but fall down when really become difficult.

This is in no way me running down X-drive is it's brilliant for what it does which is mainly road work but don't ask it to do something more demanding.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST