BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
gbb357
Captain
 
Drives: IS300
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

IS-F tranny shifts in 0.1 secs:

Too bad it's still a regular AT, i wish they would make a DSG soon. Supposedly the F430 shifts at 0.06 secs. How quick is the new M3's DCT? Isn't below 0.1 secs?

gbb357 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

You don't think a conventional AT shifts faster than a latest gen Double Clutch Transmission, do you?

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Well it on a clear bit of plastic from Lexus marketing so it must be true.

Dual clutch gearboxes can take as long as 0.2s but only when being asked to move more than one gear at a time.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
spearfisher
Lieutenant
 
spearfisher's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 ZO6
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 409
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
Too bad it's still a regular AT, i wish they would make a DSG soon. Supposedly the F430 shifts at 0.06 secs. How quick is the new M3's DCT? Isn't below 0.1 secs?

believe it, I drove the IS-F today at the ISF lexus event and it does shift faster than a VW DSG and the Audi S-Tronic, same by the way,

for an auto it's a really good tranny, and the car around Moroso had no brake fade, will do a review when I get a chance.

and it does shift faster than the old M3 SMG, and feels like it shifts faster than the M5's SMGII also
spearfisher is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
gbb357
Captain
 
Drives: IS300
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
You don't think a conventional AT shifts faster than a latest gen Double Clutch Transmission, do you?

Best regards, south
Nope. What makes you say that? That's why i ask if the new DCT from the M3 shifts below 0.1 because i think it does. But it is quicker than the VW's DSG.
gbb357 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

1. Very old news, we knew the shift times long ago and I used that figure .1s in my sims.

2. Good marketing by Lexus, much like over zealous BMW marketing. Notice they left out the current state of the art Scuderia box which is faster than the Enzo box (how old is the Enzo now...?).

3. There are claims all over the net (not sur if they are official VW/Audi claims or not but they claim shift times of 8 ms (i.e. .008s). That is really fast. Other reports I have read peg the actual DSG shift time at closer to .03 s (30 ms). That makes it 3 times faster than the Lexus tranny.

4. The Lexus tranny is darn impressive. It seems to have a very low loss (or a slight hp under-rating), very fast shifting and of course the unique 8 speeds.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
gbb357
Captain
 
Drives: IS300
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Well it on a clear bit of plastic from Lexus marketing so it must be true.
Dual clutch gearboxes can take as long as 0.2s but only when being asked to move more than one gear at a time.
It's plexiglass so it is true. J/K Footie
gbb357 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
gbb357
Captain
 
Drives: IS300
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
1. Very old news, we knew the shift times long ago and I used that figure .1s in my sims.

2. Good marketing by Lexus, much like over zealous BMW marketing. Notice they left out the current state of the art Scuderia box which is faster than the Enzo box (how old is the Enzo now...?).

3. There are claims all over the net (not sur if they are official VW/Audi claims or not but they claim shift times of 8 ms (i.e. .008s). That is really fast. Other reports I have read peg the actual DSG shift time at closer to .03 s (30 ms). That makes it 3 times faster than the Lexus tranny.

4. The Lexus tranny is darn impressive. It seems to have a very low loss (or a slight hp under-rating), very fast shifting and of course the unique 8 speeds.

I did mention the F430 at 0.06. If F1 cars is at 0.05, so 0.03 for the DSG is amazingly fast. Somehow they have it only for 0.2 on that plexiglass.
gbb357 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
gbb357
Captain
 
Drives: IS300
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfisher View Post
believe it, I drove the IS-F today at the ISF lexus event and it does shift faster than a VW DSG and the Audi S-Tronic, same by the way,

for an auto it's a really good tranny, and the car around Moroso had no brake fade, will do a review when I get a chance.

and it does shift faster than the old M3 SMG, and feels like it shifts faster than the M5's SMGII also
Thanks for the info. Please do write a review, i have been reading several independent reviews from consumers from some Lexus forums.
gbb357 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
spearfisher
Lieutenant
 
spearfisher's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 ZO6
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 409
iTrader: (0)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/2021129.001

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ria/index.html

http://paultan.org/archives/2006/04/...shift-gearbox/

who has the right times on the DSG

any way, yes the Lexus tranny is no Ferrari or is not gonig to match the new M3 automated box, but you have to admit it's a hell of a tranny for an auto
spearfisher is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
gbb357
Captain
 
Drives: IS300
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

So basically the ISF is smack in the middle of these two.

VW DSG:
Quote:
The entire shift process is completed in the especially short time of 3 to 4 hundredths of a second
F430 Scuderia:
Quote:
An update to the transmission brings shift times down to a lightning-quick 60 milliseconds, while the traction and stability systems also get a race-inspired update.
gbb357 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
Vasil
Private First Class
 
Vasil's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, M5 and 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 180
iTrader: (11)

I don't care how fast an Automatic shifts.
The IS-F has an open differential. End of story.
Vasil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
 
DASHOCKER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,865
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to DASHOCKER
I am waiting for the vids of the M3 vs Is-F.
__________________
2007 335 coupe Alpine white, steptronic, sportpack, etc. (gone)
2006 X3 3.0 steptronic Titanium Silver, 2009 E92 335xdrive, next.... Caddy CTS_V! 13 Lincoln MKZ? hmmm.
DASHOCKER is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

I thought double clutch transmissions let one clutch out as the other one engages.

so they should be able to shift in 0.0000 sec. since there is no interuption of power???
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST