BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Lux Angel Eyes

01-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
///MML
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: e92 M3

M-DCT functionality

Anybody willing to speculate on how M-DCT functionality will be accessed. I am 99% certain it will be via I-Drive but I'm holding out hope its not. Maybe something like EDC with buttons on the console or like the e46 M3 SMG unit. I really don't want I-drive, too prone to software errors and don't care for the looks either.

Place your bets.....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
masmole
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 RS4, 07 ML63, 06 M5

It will probably be similar to the up/down buttons below the SMG3's lever as found in the M5/M6, that cycles through the different shift speeds available depending on what mode you are in. The mode (auto or manual) would be selected by the lever itself just like in the SMG3. And like the SMG3 the M-DCT would have specific settings that can be "saved" as presets in iDrive if you so desire. Seems logical enough and worked very well in the current M5/M6 so I don't see why BMW would take too much of a departure from this design.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States

Drives: E92 M3

Agree with the above. Although mechanically very different, from a user interface as well as the software to control the system (both the UI and the actual mechanical control) it can be virtually identical to SMG. Sure would be cool to have a lot of customization available for M-DCT via I-Drive as user engima posted about but I don't think we will see that.
Appreciate 0