BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Strasse Wheels

01-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #23
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

its not something that i think i will consider for the same reason mentioned above (alright for a while but once you find your comfortably setting its more or less not something you will change). I understand that it is a dynamic thing constantly readjusting but agree that it will be something that only a few will notice / benefit from.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #24
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
I usually steer clear of this type of stuff in the name of simplicity and fewer moving parts.....
Like adaptive lights? Asking out of curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #25
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: SSII E90 M3

I really liked it during a test drive, as it links into the m-button it just adds to the feeling of driving two cars in one.

As I'll be driving the car daily and often have two young kids in the back it's a nice option for me to have
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #26
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray33 View Post
My BMW dealer told me not to bother with EDC when i was specing the car. He said that it was a bit of a gimmick that you might play around with for the first few weeks of the car and the forget about.
I took his advice. I have not driven a car with EDC so unfortunately i am in no position to make a comparison only to say that my non EDC car does the job perfectly well as far as i can tell.
IIRC, my dealer described EDC as a "sensible" choice. I've never been that sure they know very much
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #27
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
IIRC, my dealer described EDC as a "sensible" choice. I've never been that sure they know very much
Just out of interest what dealer did u use?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #28
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix 21st View Post
Just out of interest what dealer did u use?
Park Lane
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #29
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Park Lane
same as. Originally Mr. Stafford there but he moved, my contact is now ian.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #30
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlue! View Post
Like adaptive lights? Asking out of curiosity.
Absolutely. I'm not even sure what adaptive lights do, although aren't they now standard in the US? I guess I will know soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #31
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350

Garage List
Adaptive headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Absolutely. I'm not even sure what adaptive lights do, although aren't they now standard in the US? I guess I will know soon enough.
Adaptive headlights "steer" into curves, and yes, they are standard in the US. I have them on my ML and they are nice. In addition, at low speeds, an additional corner illumintion light is activated on the side you are turning toward. Adaptive brake lights increase intensity at high braking levels. That feature is also standard.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-10-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #32
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Adaptive headlights "steer" into curves, and yes, they are standard in the US. I have them on my ML and they are nice. Adaptive brakelights increase intensity at high braking levels. That feature is also standard.
Although, from looking at the owner's manual, it isn't so much intensity as another section of the taillight lights up.
      01-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #33
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350

Garage List
Adaprive brake lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Although, from looking at the owner's manual, it isn't so much intensity as another section of the taillight lights up.
Correct, like the 03.5> E46. The net result with more lights illuminated is greater intensity.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #34
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Correct, like the 03.5> E46. The net result with more lights illuminated is greater intensity.
I thought you were talking about the intensity of the already lit light.
      01-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #35
jackos335
Private
Rep

Drives: 335 vert

I would get it. My boss has an E60 M5 '08 and has it. I've driven it on several occasions and it is a big difference when you see some twisties up ahead and want to launch it in "M" mode (automatically sets it to its stiffest setting).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #36
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix 21st View Post
same as. Originally Mr. Stafford there but he moved, my contact is now ian.

I thought their service sucked big time, so I moved my order. Even had to get BMW UK involved to get my deposit back!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #37
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I'm sure you're correct. I'm honestly not sure that anyone but an expert is going to be able to tell whether they are driving with active damping though. I don't doubt the technology is awesome and the EDC is fun to play around with for a bit, but the practical application for 99% of drivers is rather gimmicky.

The power button on the other hand is great.
Have you noticed how the testers have commented on and photographed very minimal body roll for the car? That can be accomplished by making things super stiff passively but then you get other disadvantages. EDC likely contributes to reducing cornering roll movement without the disadvantages. EDC can also work to really take the hard edge hits out of bumps. Again I bet it lessens brake dive as well. What is so gimmicky about having an near infinite number of smoothly varying compression and rebound damping settings on all of the shocks that the EDC system manages for you in real time? Ever want more comfort on bad roads and a stiffer ride for the track, nah not me... Sure it is a clever way for BMW to get more $ from us but I strongly suspect the great slalom speeds and skippad results have been obtained in Normal mode.

EDC is simply another way that the M3 is adjustable, steering, throttle, EDC, M-DCT. It is all quite consistent.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:44 AM   #38
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

OT - Trivial Pursuit...since someone above had mentioned adaptive headlights, the answer to this will save some owners from a trip to the service department later. My dealer didn't even know the answer to this question until they reasearched it. No cheating. Why is it normal for adaptive headlights to "work" sometimes and at other times not?
      01-11-2008, 03:17 AM   #39
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
OT - Trivial Pursuit...since someone above had mentioned adaptive headlights, the answer to this will save some owners from a trip to the service department later. My dealer didn't even know the answer to this question until they reasearched it. No cheating. Why is it normal for adaptive headlights to "work" sometimes and at other times not?

"Adaptive Head Light is a variable headlight control system that optimises the illumination of the road as the car corners. The light cones from the headlights are directed to the suit the road ahead on the basis of steering angle and other parameters.

During sharp turns at speeds of up to approx. 70 km/h or 40 mph, e.g. in hairpin bends or when cornering, a cornering light is added that illuminates the inside area of the bend."

Conclusion: It is speed dependant for the extra illumination. Othrwise they will turn only to variying degree based on the corner.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:33 AM   #40
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Have you noticed how the testers have commented on and photographed very minimal body roll for the car? That can be accomplished by making things super stiff passively but then you get other disadvantages. EDC likely contributes to reducing cornering roll movement without the disadvantages. EDC can also work to really take the hard edge hits out of bumps. Again I bet it lessens brake dive as well. What is so gimmicky about having an near infinite number of smoothly varying compression and rebound damping settings on all of the shocks that the EDC system manages for you in real time? Ever want more comfort on bad roads and a stiffer ride for the track, nah not me... Sure it is a clever way for BMW to get more $ from us but I strongly suspect the great slalom speeds and skippad results have been obtained in Normal mode.

EDC is simply another way that the M3 is adjustable, steering, throttle, EDC, M-DCT. It is all quite consistent.
Swamp, I should backtrack a little here - I didn't appreciate fully what would be lost without EDC besides the multiple damping settings.

I'm not meaning to suggest there is anything wrong with having active suspension. The car's ability to handle so well while providing such comfort is astonishing - certainly unlike anything I've experienced before. The gimmick for me is more multiple settings, with little buttons and lights, the need for which is surely mostly obviated by the fact that the damping is constantly changing in any case.

I guess a proper comparison is required...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #41
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Swamp, I should backtrack a little here - I didn't appreciate fully what would be lost without EDC besides the multiple damping settings.

I'm not meaning to suggest there is anything wrong with having active suspension. The car's ability to handle so well while providing such comfort is astonishing - certainly unlike anything I've experienced before. The gimmick for me is more multiple settings, with little buttons and lights, the need for which is surely mostly obviated by the fact that the damping is constantly changing in any case.

I guess a proper comparison is required...
I can clarify my position as well. I'm confident the car will be damn good with or without EDC and the benefits from EDC are likely not to be enormous - certainly not night and day. However, they are likely to be big enough for me to go with the option sight unseen. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #42
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
Only works whith light switch in Auto position. What's the prize for the correct answer?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #43
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

@JerezBlue and southlight...
Background - When I had my new 330i I LOVED the adaptive headlights but noticed sometimes they just didn't work! So, I paid a visit to the service department and explained. They said they would check it out and repair. After several hours the service manager sheepishly admitted it was simple but even they didn't know the answer without research. So congrats southlight , you win a FREE OVEN MIT!! Jerez, nice try :-( you win the consolation prize, a burned piece of toast
      01-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #44
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Thanks, but I was hoping for a green watering can.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0