BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

12-22-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
GeriFix
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Smile One Day Old

There have been many excellent owner reviews of the new M3 on this forum. This I'm sure will NOT be one of them.

I picked my baby up yesterday from Rushcutters Bay in Sydney. The car was beautifully presented on a polished black marble floor and came complete with a bottle of Moet and a few Christmas nibblies. It also came with a Nokia 6233 phone. My girlfriend recently bought a 323 Coupe and was very disappointed that her Motorola phone wouldn't pair with the cars Bluetooth. She was right pissed that they gave me a phone (when my current Nokia 6120 paired up OK anyway).

I'm new to beemers and iDrive, so the salesman spent a long time going through it with me. After 300+ km now, I wouldn't say I've mastered it, but I am reasonably comfortable with it.

Driving: I took the car up the old Pacific Highway (north of Sydney) today. It's a nice winding road with lots of undulations and a rather tatty surface. There is no problem with the steering and road feel. If you think the "normal" setting is spongy, put it in "sport" and there is plenty of road feel, without it being tiring. Throttle mapping in the "normal" mode is a little lazier than what I am used to but is fine for negotiating car parks.

I can't talk about throttle mapping without mentioning the clutch. It engages way earlier than my old Alfa GT (or even my MG TF). This combined with the "normal" setting for throttle mapping (the Power button) had me lurching around from a standing start. I have found the "Sport Plus" setting much easier to cope with and is fine for negotiating city traffic. My main peeve with the clutch though (and this can't be fixed with iDrive) is its close proximity to the foot rest. I keep catching the outside of my left foot on the foot rest when depressing the clutch . The foot rest needs to be about 2 cm narrower for mine.

Jeremy Clarkson: BMW owners may not like the way Jeremy Clarkson rags on beemers, but the review he did on the M5 a couple of years ago is spot on (he thought the car was just another 5 series until he found the "M" button). It is amazing how much the car changes from the default (comfort) settings. I've chosen:
DSC: M Dynamic Mode
EDC: Sport
Power (Throttle Map): Sport Plus
Steering: Sport
With these settings, the car is every bit as tight and responsive as the 2006 E46 M3 I drove earlier in the year. What's more, I could happily drive the car around the city with these settings (and I have).

Steering Wheel: I don't think it is too fat, and I don't have overly large hands (size 7.5 gloves).

Entertainment: I don't like iPods (well iTunes actually), but I couldn't be bothered loading up the CD stacker everytime I drive. After a suggestion made by one of our British members, I have simply plugged an 8gig USB stick into the USB port .. just need to be careful here though as the stick cannot be too long or else it will obstruct closure of the arm rest. I have a small Transcend JetFlash, which fits nicely. iDrive displays the tracks and folders ... it's easy. I have the Individual HiFi Option and the sound is excellent, dare I say visceral.

I'll conclude for now with a few photos. The car is Alpine White with Fox Red leather. These photos show Fow Red fairly accurately. It's a brick red, more brown than orange.

Cheers.
Attached Images

GeriFix is offline   Australia
      12-22-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
Bastet
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M3 E92 aka 'Batmobile'

Congrats GeriFix !
Bastet is offline   Belgium
      12-22-2007, 04:31 AM   #3
OzStriker
Captain

Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
Niiiiiiiiiiiice.

I am getting very impatient now!
OzStriker is offline   Australia
      12-22-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
OzStriker
Captain

Garage List
Your other pics are awesome too, AW + sun = goodness.
      12-22-2007, 04:45 AM   #5
PIMP "E"
Colonel

Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to PIMP "E"
the thing looks mean. does it pin you back in your seat, throw into 2nd the tires scream??????
i see you didnt get the carbonfiber roof. i wonder if i can get carbonfiber sunroof. hmmmmmm..........................
      12-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
THE JEDI
Major

Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

This wait is just stupid..no fucking excuse for it except BMW has been waiting on the GTR to debut...and I tell you what 3.5 fracking seconds is tempting....period.......NA suck azz
      12-22-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Congrats on a beautiful car! The fox red looks pretty good with AW. I'm fairly certain your interior trim is titanium shadow - can you confirm this for me? The aluminum is too bright, so it's between titanium shadow and carbon leather for me.

Enjoy your car!
RandyB is offline   United_States
      12-22-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
GeriFix
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Congrats on a beautiful car! The fox red looks pretty good with AW. I'm fairly certain your interior trim is titanium shadow - can you confirm this for me? The aluminum is too bright, so it's between titanium shadow and carbon leather for me.

Enjoy your car!
Thanks. Yes, the trim is titanium shadow. I think it's a good safe choice. Fox Red may not be to everyones taste, but I think it works well with White and breaks up the blackness of the interior.
      12-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
GeriFix
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMP "E" View Post
the thing looks mean. does it pin you back in your seat, throw into 2nd the tires scream??????
i see you didnt get the carbonfiber roof. i wonder if i can get carbonfiber sunroof. hmmmmmm..........................
Haven't had the tires scream yet, in fact haven't been over 4500 rpm. Even at these relatively low RPMs the acceleration in 2nd could your rearrange internal organs.
      12-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
PIMP "E"
Colonel

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
yeaohhhhhh, "ha ha ha ha". thats a manly car, thats what im talking about. cant wait to test drive and put a order in for the 09. I guess every body is going to be driving white M3's with red interior, cause thats the combo everybody like.
      12-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
Epacy
Reincarnated

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Looking good!
      12-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
Voltigeur
MacroRisk

Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

G'day mate,

Congrats on the new M3. The only bugger is that it's bloody hard to open up these cars in Nanny State Australia - I was shocked by all the speed cams around SYD and the Gold Coast -> BrisVegas last time I was in Oz.

I like how the dealer presented the car to you, what with a bottle of Moët: doubt we'll get that treatment Stateside - but then, the car's a lot less exy here.

Safe driving - be nice to tootle up to Byron Bay

I'm feeling the Fox Red - this would be my choice too.

(btw, the 'T' is pronounced in Moët - drives me crazy when ppl say "Mo-ay" and think they've got the French 'nailed', Moët is bloody Dutch name ... same goes for Van Gough - not "Go" .. but I digress most anally)

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 12-23-2007 at 12:35 AM. Reason: erratum
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
      12-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Jason
Administrator

Drives: E90 M3

Beauuuutiful! Congrats!
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
      12-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
mhutchins14
First Lieutenant

Drives: Jet Black w/Beige 2008 e92 M3

Congrats on your ride Gerifix!!!!!
mhutchins14 is offline   United_States
      12-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Bemve
Second Lieutenant

Drives: AW/FR e92 M3

Congrats!!!!
Thats my Combo right there!! except i have carbon fibre trim
Bemve is offline   Canada
      12-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #16
PIMP "E"
Colonel

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemve View Post
Congrats!!!!
Thats my Combo right there!! except i have carbon fibre trim
how come you get carbonfiber trim???
unless your talking about that fake carbonfiber it comes with......
if your talking about the carbonfiber like the stuff on the roof, let us know
      12-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #17
GeriFix
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
G'day mate,

Congrats on the new M3. The only bugger is that it's bloody hard to open up these care in Nanny State Australia - I was shocked by all the speed cams around SYD and the Gold Coast -> BrisVegas last time I was in Oz.
Thanks Voltigeur, you're right about a Nanny State existing in Australia. Not only speed cameras, but 50km/h limits on residential streets, 40km/h zones around schools, speed humps and other obstacles all over the place, and even narrowing busy main roads to force you drive on toll ways. I'm not even sure any of these things achieve what they intend; 40km/h zones have you checking your speedo so much you may not see the kid on the road in front of you; speed humps just make you accelerate after them and make more noise for the local residents; and speed cameras just make you more angry and contribute to road rage. Thankfully though there is no law against accelerating to 60km/h in as short a time as possible, so there is still scope to enjoy some of the capabilities of the new M3
      12-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #18
OzStriker
Captain

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriFix View Post
Thankfully though there is no law against accelerating to 60km/h in as short a time as possible, so there is still scope to enjoy some of the capabilities of the new M3
Ahhhh 2.5 seconds of bliss!
      12-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #19
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General

Drives: MP4

Congrats on the great car. The dealership treatment definitely leaves something to be wanted over here stateside. While I've never had any bad experiences what so ever... I definitely have never been treated so lushly.
      12-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #20
Bemve
Second Lieutenant

Drives: AW/FR e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMP "E" View Post
how come you get carbonfiber trim???
unless your talking about that fake carbonfiber it comes with......
if your talking about the carbonfiber like the stuff on the roof, let us know
Yes im talking about the FAKE carbon interiour trim
Bemve is offline   Canada
      12-23-2007, 03:58 AM   #21
dash

Drives: 1 Series M Coupe AW

Hi Gerifix
Nice review. I'm selling my Alfa GT tomorrow privately (to my neighbour!) and get my M3 in Feb or March 08. It will be great to hopefully have some German reliablibilty. I loved my Alfa GT, and will miss it, but I had heaps of electrical faults with it (all fixeed under warranty, but a pain having to to it back to the dealer every few months). Was your Alfa GT reliable?
Good luck with the M3
Dash
dash is offline   Australia
      12-23-2007, 06:43 AM   #22
GeriFix
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Hi Gerifix
Nice review. I'm selling my Alfa GT tomorrow privately (to my neighbour!) and get my M3 in Feb or March 08. It will be great to hopefully have some German reliablibilty. I loved my Alfa GT, and will miss it, but I had heaps of electrical faults with it (all fixeed under warranty, but a pain having to to it back to the dealer every few months). Was your Alfa GT reliable?
Good luck with the M3
Dash
Hi Dash,
Wow another Alfa GT owner. We are a rare breed. I had a 3.2 V6 and loved everything about it except it's astronomical turning circle and the silly speedo, which used only a few degrees to get from 0 to 60 km/hr. The only problem I had with it was the German Blaupunkt CD changer, which kept jamming. I was sad to wave it good bye on Friday.

In comparison, the M3 seems more sure footed and obviously lacks the torque steer of the GT, the acceleration is also way better (although I was pretty impressed with the GTs low end grunt). If yours is the V6, you may be disappointed by the engine note of the M3. The Alfa sounded throaty, deep chested and was quite musical through the rev range, whilst the M3 is muted and more turbine like. I will definitely miss the sound of the Alfa (there are few engines that sound as good). The Alfa was also much easier to drive straight out of the box. After 400km I am starting to get the feel of the clutch and throttle, but the M3 is less intuitive and forgiving than the Alfa.

All-in-all though I'm very happy with the trade up. The M3 is beautifully built. It feels really solid, there are no rattles and the gadgetry and automation is fabulous. Around town it is a very comforable car, but as you are driving that big bulge in the bonnet reminds you that this thing is a beast when you push the loud pedal. It can take you from sedate to scared in a second. I don't think you will ever be bored driving it.