BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Josh49
Major General
95
Rep
6,665
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325xi
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (33)

Volunteering/Traveling abroad

Curious if anyone has any experience or advice with respect to volunteering or traveling abroad..

I could explain more later, but basically I'm thinking of putting everything in storage, selling the e90, and going for it.. I was thinking volunteering would be a cheap way (ususally food, shelter, etc is provided) to see different parts of the world, experience different cultures, however any other relatively low cost solutions would be greatly appreciated as well.. I want to be somewhere incredibly different.. Was thinking of taking a year or possibly more off from my current career (mechanical and aerospace engineering)..

I've done a lot of research already but thought it'd be worth a shot to ask here as well..

Thanks in advance,
Josh

PS. I'll also say it for the hell of it - if anyone else wants to go traveling/volunteering/backpacking etc as well, let me know.. Could be the best time of our lives..
__________________

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
KL2DC
Moderator
KL2DC's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
17,753
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
Dammit Josh, you could just take brief vacations abroad You might find that your grandiose idea (selling everything and going backpacking across the world) remains more romantic than its reality, at the end of it all.

Actually, I do know of an englishman who did just what you are proposing. He went on a one year trip around the world concentrating in and around Asia and he swears it was the best thing he has ever done. He credits a newfound appreciation for different cultures and overall broadened mindscape.

Will you be travelling to find yourself or to forget about someone else?
__________________

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Josh49
Major General
95
Rep
6,665
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325xi
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
Dammit Josh, you could just take brief vacations abroad
The thing about it is I don't get a lot of vacation time - not enough to really fully see anything. I think right now in my career it could be a good place to take a break. I can always start back up whenever I get back..

BTW, I never said selling everything (besides the e90). I would put everything in storage. I have already priced it out, and it's relatively small money..


Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
Will you be travelling to find yourself or to forget about someone else?
Both..



So I'll count you in?
__________________

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Dleo
Brigadier General
Dleo's Avatar
Cyprus
55
Rep
3,357
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 X5
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Josh you might want to check out the Peace Corps:

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm

I have a few friends that did it and it seems to have changed their life completely.

It seems to be a 27 month commitment, where in that time they will provide money for you to live plus full medical/dental.

Also, upon returning, they give you about $6k to make the transition back to your normal life.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and lets discuss this over a drink during next week.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
2,375
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

From what my parents say, Peace Corps will radically change your life. My parents met at teh preparation college (3 months intensive language training plus shots) then got married while in Pakistan. They toured back throughout Asia as their honeymoon. when they got back the D.C. they were in total culture-shock and had some challenges adjusting. I was born shortly thereafter, so that didn't help a whole bunch either

My dad had dysentery (sp?, the runs) for the entire time he was in Pakistan. He's probably pushing 200lbs nowadays, but was 110 when he got married over there. . .

Some of the friends they made along the way drop in when in the area, 40+ years after!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Josh49
Major General
95
Rep
6,665
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325xi
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleo View Post
Josh you might want to check out the Peace Corps:

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm

I have a few friends that did it and it seems to have changed their life completely.

It seems to be a 27 month commitment, where in that time they will provide money for you to live plus full medical/dental.

Also, upon returning, they give you about $6k to make the transition back to your normal life.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and lets discuss this over a drink during next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
From what my parents say, Peace Corps will radically change your life. My parents met at teh preparation college (3 months intensive language training plus shots) then got married while in Pakistan. They toured back throughout Asia as their honeymoon. when they got back the D.C. they were in total culture-shock and had some challenges adjusting. I was born shortly thereafter, so that didn't help a whole bunch either

My dad had dysentery (sp?, the runs) for the entire time he was in Pakistan. He's probably pushing 200lbs nowadays, but was 110 when he got married over there. . .

Some of the friends they made along the way drop in when in the area, 40+ years after!
Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for that story. Sounds incredible. I just spent my lunch looking through the website, and will most likely apply.

Josh
__________________

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
2,375
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Just remember, you get primarily assigned to ONE location, you aren't on a jaunt around the world. That was extra that my parents did AFTER their service.

Oh, and bring me back a hooka pipe, K? the one my parents brought back has mysteriously been misplaced, I think some time after my brother burned the virgin wood bowl
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

aren't you married or should i consider this a divorce.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Dleo
Brigadier General
Dleo's Avatar
Cyprus
55
Rep
3,357
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 X5
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
aren't you married or should i consider this a divorce.
married?

Josh is a PIMP
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleo View Post
married?

Josh is a PIMP
and what are you his ho?
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
Dleo
Brigadier General
Dleo's Avatar
Cyprus
55
Rep
3,357
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 X5
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
and what are you his ho?
lets just say im his supplier
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
Josh49
Major General
95
Rep
6,665
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325xi
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (33)

^^^

No, wasn't married. Was dating for a very long time, and was about ready to ask..
__________________

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
Josh49
Major General
95
Rep
6,665
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325xi
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Just remember, you get primarily assigned to ONE location, you aren't on a jaunt around the world. That was extra that my parents did AFTER their service.

Oh, and bring me back a hooka pipe, K? the one my parents brought back has mysteriously been misplaced, I think some time after my brother burned the virgin wood bowl
Yeah.. Could be good to thoroughly learn another culture and way of life though..

But yeah, it is much different then traveling around and seeing a lot..
__________________

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 12:08 AM   #14
truong321
Second Lieutenant
truong321's Avatar
7
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

i would go! i started about 2 threads (both failed) about "getting away" and experiencing something just different from my normal life but, i have school.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 12:18 AM   #15
leejoobin
help
6
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: internet

iTrader: (1)

korea need a lot of volunteers.
i know they'll provide u with food, but not sure about shelter and other stuff.
just letting u know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Korea_oil_spill
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 12:54 AM   #16
inabis
Captain
inabis's Avatar
34
Rep
956
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Daytona Beach->Denver->Seattle->The Bay

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I say go for it! The only thing to remember if you decide to volunteer and bounce around is to make your plans ahead of time! I personally love going to other countries that may be in better or worse situations it make you appreciate what you take for granted a lot more. A lot of people complain about how hard life is here but when you see how much harder life could be like without things like running water and electricity 24/7 you realize that you don't have it as bad
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 01:36 AM   #17
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
RenaultOne's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA / University of California, Berkeley.

iTrader: (0)

DAmnit man I absolutely love traveling. When i visit foreign countries I feel like i must move out of the states to actually enjoy my life. I just came back from japan in june and thailand in august and I absolutely want to move to those countrie,s I would love to visit North Korea, Iran, all those other "forbidden places." Seriously the most important deciding factor for colleges for me is a great study abroad system. Hope to spend half of my college years learning in a different country.

Anyways good luck finding a place to volunteer their time! I am pretty sure that going to a different country to volunteer your time will be excellent source of solace away from work.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #18
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
93
Rep
7,919
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
I had a friend travel around the world by herself for two years on very little money. She said her favorite place was Vietnam. She spent two months there, which was longer than she spent in most places. Most beautiful place was the Seychelles. Unfortunately, I'm not still in touch with her or I'd put you in touch.

Everyone I've ever talked to about the Peace Corps has said that it's like the State Dept in one sense -- as a newbie, you will get sent to where none of the people with more tenure want to go. Generally meaning, the more dangerous places. Keep that in mind if you do this!

Or just become a doctor and join Doctors Without Borders. I have friends who do that and it sounds very rewarding.
__________________


330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
TurboFan
Ski bum
TurboFan's Avatar
94
Rep
6,207
Posts

 
Drives: sideways
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Knee deep in the pow

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Curious if anyone has any experience or advice with respect to volunteering or traveling abroad..

I could explain more later, but basically I'm thinking of putting everything in storage, selling the e90, and going for it.. I was thinking volunteering would be a cheap way (ususally food, shelter, etc is provided) to see different parts of the world, experience different cultures, however any other relatively low cost solutions would be greatly appreciated as well.. I want to be somewhere incredibly different.. Was thinking of taking a year or possibly more off from my current career (mechanical and aerospace engineering)..

I've done a lot of research already but thought it'd be worth a shot to ask here as well..

Thanks in advance,
Josh

PS. I'll also say it for the hell of it - if anyone else wants to go traveling/volunteering/backpacking etc as well, let me know.. Could be the best time of our lives..

I've spent about 2 mos in Africa volunteering. I led a group of other volunteers, we built over 30 homes and a 2000sqft school house.

I did mine over 4 trips, each about 2 weeks long over 2006 and 2007. I haven't just dropped and gone yet, but I may go for 2-3 mos Aug-Dec 2008.

The experience is amazing. I can't say enough good about it. Find something you are passionate about, and realize going in that it will be one of the hardest, yet most fulfilling things you ever do. My only advice - if you are going as a servant, be a servant. Serve God and those around you, and keep in mind that they just might have a better handle on what they need than you do. Your knowledge and experiences will be very valuable, but think of yourself as a consultant - give ideas, and then do whatever they need done, whether you think it's the best course or not. Don't sacrifice your integrity, morals or violate what you know is right from wrong, but within that framework, be a noble servant.
__________________

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
shipill
Major
Canada
77
Rep
1,285
Posts

 
Drives: E350 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaultOne View Post
DAmnit man I absolutely love traveling. When i visit foreign countries I feel like i must move out of the states to actually enjoy my life. I just came back from japan in june and thailand in august and I absolutely want to move to those countrie,s I would love to visit North Korea, Iran, all those other "forbidden places." Seriously the most important deciding factor for colleges for me is a great study abroad system. Hope to spend half of my college years learning in a different country.

Anyways good luck finding a place to volunteer their time! I am pretty sure that going to a different country to volunteer your time will be excellent source of solace away from work.
you dont wanna go to iran
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #21
FrankoQ
Deny everything
FrankoQ's Avatar
United_States
134
Rep
11,293
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FrankoQ
watch your tail wherever you go.
__________________

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #22
Expired
Fanatic
Expired's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
175
Posts

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Expired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Curious if anyone has any experience or advice with respect to volunteering or traveling abroad..

I could explain more later, but basically I'm thinking of putting everything in storage, selling the e90, and going for it.. I was thinking volunteering would be a cheap way (ususally food, shelter, etc is provided) to see different parts of the world, experience different cultures, however any other relatively low cost solutions would be greatly appreciated as well.. I want to be somewhere incredibly different.. Was thinking of taking a year or possibly more off from my current career (mechanical and aerospace engineering)..

I've done a lot of research already but thought it'd be worth a shot to ask here as well..

Thanks in advance,
Josh

PS. I'll also say it for the hell of it - if anyone else wants to go traveling/volunteering/backpacking etc as well, let me know.. Could be the best time of our lives..
Mid life crisis???
Hit up Africa and go mine some blood diamonds.
I plan to travel the world for a year after college as well..
Try and figure out where I want to live, and what I like.
Iceland and the Isle of Mann look nice.

-Nathan
__________________
People only know what you tell them.Only in ROFL Copter.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST