BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

E92 Lighting

07-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

Questions about M Performance Exhaust

Hi All,

I have decided to get the test pipe and the ECU tune for my m3. However, do you think its worth it to get the performance exhaust? As far as I can tell from the youtube videos (of the following combos: Stock OEM exhaust + test pipe;
M performance exhaust + test pipe), they sound pretty similar...

So if someone could share some thoughts and opinions, that would be great.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
M3 n X5M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Do the test pipes and tune. Make sure you can track any issues etc. if you have trouble, it is too loud etc., there will be less steps to reverse.

Once you figure if you like it or not, buy the muffler you want.

I state this bc I had a 3" flow through exhaust on a turbo 2 liter VW with high flow cat. And unfortunately, that setup droned like crazy. I spent a lot of money reversing the installation to unravel the drone. So that is why I recommend doing one step at a time.

If performance is not a great issue perhaps start with the muffler and see how you like it. I have heard the performance exhaust in person, and it was refined and sophisticated in look and sound but not loud or droning.

These are expensive cars and they do not need to sound like an STi... IMO, hence I would do the muffler only.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Agent-GHQ
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

I only updated to the MPE, nothing more, and it's a good clean performance sound that is not too obnoxious and atrocious! The MPE compliments the S65 very well and together it is an intoxicating sound that makes you want to drive even more! 👍
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Alex07M3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Are you talking about OEM exhaust mod or just OEM exhaust!? Don't know for OEM exhaust mod+TPs, but just OEM+TPs does'nt sound too bad, but it's far from the M performance, anyway here's my Mperf+TPs, maybe it will help you decide!

07-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2004 Lexus RX 330  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
I only updated to the MPE, nothing more, and it's a good clean performance sound that is not too obnoxious and atrocious! The MPE compliments the S65 very well and together it is an intoxicating sound that makes you want to drive even more! ��
+1
      07-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
modkrazy
Captain
Rep

Drives: m3

The MPE sounds good with a stock midsection only, IMO. Any mods create too much rasp. Plus the MPE still has a giant goiter of a muffler, which for me was a bigger flaw in OEM than the meek sound. If you want MPE sound, get the exhaust mod for 3-4 bills and save the difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
tinman831
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
The MPE sounds good with a stock midsection only, IMO. Any mods create too much rasp. Plus the MPE still has a giant goiter of a muffler, which for me was a bigger flaw in OEM than the meek sound. If you want MPE sound, get the exhaust mod for 3-4 bills and save the difference.
The OEM exhaust mod is a lot more rumbly than the MPE. It really depends on what type of sound you're going for.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Are you talking about OEM exhaust mod or just OEM exhaust!? Don't know for OEM exhaust mod+TPs, but just OEM+TPs does'nt sound too bad, but it's far from the M performance, anyway here's my Mperf+TPs, maybe it will help you decide!

Thanks for all the responses guys. Didnt expect MPE to have such a positive reviews from you guys! As it really does sounds very similar to stock exhaust but a bit louder :P

Seems like MPE + TP is the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Alex07M3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post

Thanks for all the responses guys. Didnt expect MPE to have such a positive reviews from you guys! As it really does sounds very similar to stock exhaust but a bit louder :P

Seems like MPE + TP is the way to go!
you'll love the MPE, it screams more and more the higher you go in the rev range, very rewarding exhaust!!

here's an other vid of my car: