BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

E92 Lighting

07-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

S65 Clank, Rattle, and Roll 2.0 - UPDATED 7/6 : video added

The last time my car started rattling like a jalopy it turned out to be just a broken exhaust clamp. This time I've got that bad feeling it's not going to be so simple.

What I have is an extremely loud clanky noise that sounds like I've got a coffee can full of bolts attached to the crank pulley. The higher the RPM, the higher the frequency and the louder the rattle. The engine feels noticeably sluggish and reluctant to rev.

No engine light.

Unfortunately I was driving with the top down and coming off the expressway so I had the radio turned way up and cannot say whether there was any loud pop or other sound prior to the rattle.

I figure rod bearing is one possibility, though I will say that there has been no clicking/ticking/pinging/rattling or whatever else is sometimes present to indicate the rod bearings are beginning to fail.

Apparently there is some intake issue that sometimes causes this type of symptom as well (?)

I'm going to get it in for service ASAP of course, but figured I'd tap the forum to see if this sounds like anyone else's past experience with engine issues. I did do a search but was not sure if this was a rod bearing case. I haven't yet read all of those threads though.

The car is very drivable and luckily this occurred close to home so I got it into the garage. But I am pretty hesitant to drive it more or even start it up. That being said I would really like to make a video for all to hear. If I can convince myself through further reading or from replies to this thread that it isn't a rod bearing or valvetrain issue I will do so.

07-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
s85e90
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: black e90

If the noise is consistent w/ RPM it sounds like bearings, but I wouldn't be too quick to judge.. Some people have had the nasty sound you are describing and it turned out to the the AC compressor had gone bad.

Good Luck!
      07-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
M3PO
Colonel

Drives: '08 IB E92

Could it be a bad accessory? Can you try to get a better idea of where the sound is coming from?
      07-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Video ?
      07-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Post a video if you can, would help identify what it might be.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      07-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
coloradoe92m3
Banned

Drives: m3

Many sounds increase with revs! All parts move faster with revs so has no specific risk of bearings. Prob need a video
      07-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
mkoesel

Video added. What do you guys think? Rod bearing?

As you can hear, the noise is RPM dependent and almost completely drowns out the normal sound of the engine. It is *very* loud.

In still not sure if I should drive it or have it towed. But either way I'm dropping it off at the dealership tonight.
      07-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel

Drives: E92 DCT M3

Towed if it was me...sounds terminal.
      07-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Beemdog
Woof!

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Due to the high frequency content (and lack of knocking) I'd guess broken valve spring or other valve train failure. An accessory drive would not cause a sluggish engine, typically.

Last edited by Beemdog; 07-07-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Beemdog is offline   United_States
      07-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
narkotic
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011.75 E90 Sedan ZCP DCT

Are you sure it's not something rubbing the belt / fan?? Sounds external...
      07-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
DTM Fan
Captain

Drives: Supercharged E92 M3

Damn... Fingers crossed for you. Hopefully that isn't internal but it sounds like it. Keep us updated.
      07-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving

Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Tow it to the dealership. That sounds terrible. I wouldn't even begin to try and diagnose it. The more you drive it, the more damage it will do it sounds like.
      07-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #13
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
I would start it and take a flashlight to carefully look at the two belts. To me, it sounds like a belt is failing - if that's not it then I'm afraid it's probably something more serious.

Hoping it's an easy fix!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      07-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #14
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel

Drives: E92 DCT M3

It does sound more valvetrain than crankshaft...maybe a camshaft related failure?
You haven't perchance been using Mobil1 oil?
An oil sample might be interesting if you can get one.
      07-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #15
S65 Underdog
Banned

Drives: a functional car.

Good lord! I wish you the best of luck and please keep up posted.
S65 Underdog is offline   No_Country
      07-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #16
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Can you tell where the noise is coming from? More towards the top, or bottom of the engine?

Regardless, if you were going to take it in for service, I'd recommend towing it. Even if it is a simple fix like the belt, you don't want that shredding while you are on the road. Just my opinion.
      07-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #17
mkoesel

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I ended up doing a test drive around the block and it seemed stable so I decided to drive it there with my wife trailing as a spotter. As I said, I had already driven it from the expressway off-ramp to my home anyway so that factored into the decision too. I grabbed a couple quarts of 10-60 and headed out. Kept it at or below 2k RPM. Made it no problem, but I went through a quart and a half of oil so that tells me this is likely internal. I'm think something valvetrain related based on the type of sound and also it sort of sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine.

Also noticed squealing too though so who knows. Because of that, I'm wondering if it could be related to this

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708181
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528274

which I've tried twice since that post was originally made to try to get diagnosed but could never get techs or mechanics to pick up on it or identify it.

The appointment is scheduled for this morning. I'll keep you posted.
      07-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #18
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I ended up doing a test drive around the block and it seemed stable so I decided to drive it there with my wife trailing as a spotter. As I said, I had already driven it from the expressway off-ramp to my home anyway so that factored into the decision too. I grabbed a couple quarts of 10-60 and headed out. Kept it at or below 2k RPM. Made it no problem, but I went through a quart and a half of oil so that tells me this is likely internal. I'm think something valvetrain related based on the type of sound and also it sort of sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine.

Also noticed squealing too though so who knows. Because of that, I'm wondering if it could be related to this

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708181
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528274

which I've tried twice since that post was originally made to try to get diagnosed but could never get techs or mechanics to pick up on it identify it.

The appointment is scheduled for this morning. I'll keep you posted.
Damn. Do you have some kind of warranty? Good luck regardless!
      07-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Bubbles
Green Bastard

Drives: ZCP-Powered

Wow, best of luck with the repair.
      07-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
coloradoe92m3
Banned

Drives: m3

That's sounds no good. If its eating oil its not valve train . Def a bearing on way out if you losing oil. Bearing going, oil pressure drops, valve train noise can increase and can sound like this
      07-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #21
mkoesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoe92m3 View Post
That's sounds no good. If its eating oil its not valve train. Def a bearing on way out if you losing oil. Bearing going, oil pressure drops, valve train noise can increase and can sound like this
Well major valve damage could lead to oil in the combustion chamber too.
      07-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #22
mkoesel

Tech didn't have much to report other than that there are a lot of shavings in the oil. SA says they can pull it apart in 10-15 hrs. at $130/hr.

When it was in running order, the car was worth $25k at best (says kbb) so there is definitely a point of diminishing returns that will be hit quickly in this situation.

My F80 arrives next month. A few more weeks and I was free and clear. But then Im sure I would have felt bad dropping this time bomb on someone else. Oh well. Things don't always go your way.

Any guesses on how much the car is worth in current state? I'm thinking at this point the best options are sell as is or part it out. Thoughts?