BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GetBMWParts

12-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350

Garage List
Just passed up #1 allotment

Salesman (Rasmussen, Portland) offered me their first allotment (#1 on list is waiting for DCT). I had to pass as I just haven't totally made up my mind on color and it's tough to pick the options without pricing. I have an upper end of high $60s in mind. He said BMW would lock down specs on orders early during the initial rollout as they're trying to forecast parts demand.

He indicated they've had a high dropout rate from the preorder list now that it's becoming a real car. He said they would be careful that the first cars ordered are "marketable" in case people lcancel. after ordering

I'd like to see a swatch of the Fox Red before I commit to that, as well. I'm going to try to make some decisions in the next week or two and hopefully pick up #2 or 3. As long as I have it by June for my 60th birthday I'll be happy.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-08-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Can't blame you for passing. Just insane pricing isn't out yet.
      12-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Salesman (Rasmussen, Portland) offered me their first allotment (#1 on list is waiting for DCT). I had to pass as I just haven't totally made up my mind on color and it's tough to pick the options without pricing. I have an upper end of high $60s in mind. He said BMW would lock down specs on orders early during the initial rollout as they're trying to forecast parts demand.

He indicated they've had a high dropout rate from the preorder list now that it's becoming a real car. He indicated they would be careful that the first cars ordered are "marketable" in case people late cancel.

I'd like to see a swatch of the Fox Red before I commit to that, as well. I'm going to try to make some decisions in the next week or two and hopefully pick up #2 or 3. As long as I have it by June I'll be happy.
Were they actually going to let you put an order in with DCT? I understand you wanting to see the colors in person. So do I. What body colors are you thinking about? I am pretty much sold out on Jerez, but I really feel like I need to see the Fox Red.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Were they actually going to let you put an order in with DCT? I understand you wanting to see the colors in person. So do I. What body colors are you thinking about? I am pretty much sold out on Jerez, but I really feel like I need to see the Fox Red.
No, DCT is vaporware at this point. I bet we don't see it until 2009 model year.

I'm thinking Space/Fox right now. If I decide to go with Speed Cloth instead of leather I would go Alpine. So, 19" wheels, Tech Pkg., Premium Pkg., heated seats, iPod adapter, HD radio, maybe Sirius. That should put it at about $70k, depending on Guzzler Tax. Luckily, no sales tax in Oregon!

2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, DCT is vaporware at this point. I bet we don't see it until 2009 model year.
So, you are letting go off DCT then? I must admit that I might as well if it means waiting until October'08.

Quote:
I'm thinking Space/Fox right now.
Should be nice. I would have considered that too if it weren't for the fact that I currently drive a silver car. Looks nice, but would like to move away from gray for a change.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
respectable decision Greg, i am surprised that you are that pessimistic about DCT coming out with launch. Perhaps i am just in self-denial.
      12-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
mofomat
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 (E92)

Quote:
Some times you can think too hard about it. This picture is a very accurate reproduction of Fox Red. It looks great with Jerez Black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Some times you can think too hard about it. This picture is a very accurate reproduction of Fox Red. It looks great with Jerez Black.
True. I would like to see palladium as well. I saw some pics of the Jerez/Palladium combo, and it looked good. The leather had some blue in it that went well with the blue in Jerez. But then I saw other pics of just palladium interiors, and they looked plain gray.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #9
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Man, i feel so distraught right now that DCT might not come out until 09...
      12-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep

Garage List
DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
respectable decision Greg, i am surprised that you are that pessimistic about DCT coming out with launch. Perhaps i am just in self-denial.
It may be a justification for not wanting to wait too much longer. If I was sure of March DCT production, I would wait. But, when there has been virtually no spy info recently on this makes me think it is a ways off, yet.

Frankly, while DCT sounds interesting, the extra weight, complexity and probably $3k cost makes me not want to wait. I know it will be faster and great on the track, but I have been driving manuals for 43 years and this one is supposed to be better than that in my Er6.

2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Wow, is it really that orange? Not sure that's the direction I would go. I want a richer red.

2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, is it really that orange? Not sure that's the direction I would go. I want a richer red.
One would think "Fox" red would indeed be deeper than that as opposed to being orange?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Paint color

Quote:
So, you are letting go off DCT then? I must admit that I might as well if it means waiting until October'08.

Should be nice. I would have considered that too if it weren't for the fact that I currently drive a silver car. Looks nice, but would like to move away from gray for a change.
I have Titanium Silver currently, but the Space Gray is quite a bit different. Other than white, not another choice I'm jazzed about.

2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #14
Lil. Lucas
Interlagos FTW!
Australia
Rep

Drives: 86 E30 M3

Quote:
From the dealer sample I've seen its nothing like the picture posted..

I'd say this is more accurate, its really something you need to see in person to know what colour it is. My description is a rich reddish brown..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #15
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil. Lucas View Post

I'd say this is more accurate, its really something you need to see in person to know what colour it is. My description is a rich reddish brown..
The picture I would describe as pinkish orange or maybe coral. Anybody that's seen Coral Red and Fox Red that could compare them? I don't want anything like this.

Coral Red:

2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #16
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep

Drives: e90 ///M

I too am waiting for pricing before my order is placed. I don't want to be over $65 with leather and moonroof. We'll see I guess.

Greg - I'm guessing you're looking for a color similar to Tanin?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #17
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Interior color

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
I too am waiting for pricing before my order is placed. I don't want to be over $65 with leather and moonroof. We'll see I guess.

Greg - I'm guessing you're looking for a color similar to Tanin?
Well, there's no charge for the moonroof, I'm sure, so you sholdn't have to worry about that.

I want a RED, not pink or orange. I would prefer a deeper color, but even Imola-like would be okay. An orangesish brown like Tanin {similar to Cinnamon} would be okay, too, but is not an option.

2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 02:00 AM   #18
mofomat
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The picture I would describe as pinkish orange or maybe coral. Anybody that's seen Coral Red and Fox Red that could compare them? I don't want anything like this.
Fox Red is nothing like Imola or Coral. They are red. Fox Red definitely has an orange tinge to it, but it looks really good.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 02:02 AM   #19
mofomat
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil. Lucas View Post

That dealer sample isn't very accurate then. Reddish Brown is a good description as well, but that picture (although it is Fox Red), actually shows it to look like Imola Red, which it is nothing like.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 02:21 AM   #20
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Quote:
It may be a justification for not wanting to wait too much longer. If I was sure of March DCT production, I would wait. But, when there has been virtually no spy info recently on this makes me think it is a ways off, yet.
True.

But my self-denial is telling me that BMW is doing such a great job keeping it a super secret because it will be BMWs next cutting edge tech advancement.
      12-09-2007, 02:33 AM   #21
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: MP4

I'm with Fifth. I think BMW has just been really good on keeping it under wraps. Its rediculous to think they haven't been testing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #22
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I'm going to wait for MY09 anyways so I can look at all of the options and color combos firsthand and drive the thing and then make a decision. If I were to order one right now, I would get AW with black leather and 19" wheels. I want to drive one with and without EDC if possible since that is the only option that I'm on the fence about.
Appreciate 0