BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BC Forged Wheels

PYSpeed.com | DYNO Result on All Tecnocraft ENVY System (March 24, 2010)

Straight From Tecnocraft

----

Alright everyone, I've attached all the dynos and will quickly describe each one to the best of my knowledge. Forum members 'Vic55' (DCT tranny) and 'Sinajoon' (6SPD tranny) were the testers of the ENVY intake systems on two separate days on their otherwise completely stock intake E92 M3s, but each dyno was baselined and performed on the same day in straight through sessions. If anyone has any questions directed to these guys or PowerChip or something I can forward to the Tecno team outside of the knowledge of this dyno, please let us know here.

Location: AutoWave, Huntington Beach, CA. - a big thanks to Mike@Autowave for his time, knowledge, and downright patience! Highly recommended place to get things dialed in and tested. By all means, please visit the place to cross reference any dynographs and to ask Mike for his opinions on how both dyno sessions went. It was agreed that the load-bearing DYNO DYNAMICS was as true-to-life as it could get.

Prologue:
I also want to reaffirm that before our dyno days, I've never met either of them in my life, though by now common ground, they are PowerChip customers. I met Vic through him being good friends with Betim @ BBi, but also that he's been an advocate of PC for some time now. Sina was a chosen recommendation through PowerChip as a development vehicle for e92 M3 chiptuning first, and*secondly,*through great timing he worked out well for when testing our own Tecnocraft Envy system on a BONE STOCK with an intake matched tune on top of the intake. BOTH of them had Macht Schnell filters. On Vic's car, the replacement of the M&S filter with the BMC filter netted negligible differences to horsepower...at the end of the day, he just left with the BMC anyway.

On the first day, Vic's M3 came in already tuned (found out the day we met, but that's fine), but with RPi scoops. In fairness to the ENVY system, we baselined the car "stock" by removing the RPi scoops with Betim's help because the Tecnocraft ENVY has RAM AIR scoops. This is what we considered a true baseline after much thought. I don't remember exactly his modlist, but he's had a few things done, hence his tuned car.

On the second PowerChip day, PowerChip was able to achieve a tune off of a baseline, a tune off of the manifold itself, a tuned intake system itself (4 main pieces), and a tuned intake system plus manifold complete. Since we were able to tune the components to the car, Vic's car (at a future scheduled time) can be dialed in to accept the system as well, hopefully to negate any losses.

Results (downloadable charts HERE):

On "Sina_M3_CPvStock.jpg" (image name), we netted a positive gain in the installation of the chargepipe - there's also more air as noted in AFRs, so there was room to dial in some gains with an intake system tuned. But overall, in Sina's bone stock car, it liked the addition of the chargepipe. This is a comparison of the best baseline we had, versus the best chargepipe run we had. According to this scale, the chargepipe gets 6.5HP between 6200-6900rpm, and same kind of spread at peak, 8300+rpm.

On "Sina_M3_Baseline_TC Full SystemNoMan_FinalTune.jpg", we used that same highest peak baseline dyno and ran it against the best that the Tecnocraft ENVY System could get without a tune, the gains are considerably negligible on top of the chargepipe. We gain maybe +1.5-2HP up top at 8300+, but more or less, we're starting to see a negative effect of too much air into the system because at some areas, the chargepipe alone netted more gains (4000RPMs and lower). The maximum achieved horsepower in the day was seen in tc fullsystem+mani+pwrchip tune (which is the same as bills tune, renamed) which is all components installed including the manifold, tuned in to what Sina's car particularly likes in order to achieve max HP (if anyone asks about AFRs). I'll let PC chime in on this one and provide me with official statements since they tuned the car and this was how it achieved the gains. This maximum HP result is a complete PC-tuned Tecnocraft Envy Intake System including the manifold.

In "Sina_M3_TCMan_Baseline_FinalTune.jpg",*As the day went on, we performed another baseline for consistency BEFORE installation of the TC Manifold (red) / TC Manifold tuned (purple) runs, and we were extremely happy to report Sina's car running flawlessly during the whole day, yielding good baseline runs (blue line, stock m3, they're off at peak by 1-2hp). This is just comparing the manifold BY ITSELF versus stock, the manifold+tuning versus stock, and the entire equipped system+manifold to stock. The manifold netted gains much like the addition of the ChargePipe in the 6200-6900rpm area, but netted even more gains when tuned to the car, flattened out the AFRs to 13 too (similarly to Vics). Curiously, though, PowerChip's tune (even though it's named bill's tune for some reason) configured Sina's car with maximum horsepower gains with the entire system installed+manifold but had the richest AFR - again will leave to PC explain this one, but "bills tune" is a curve of the entire intake system+manifold tuned to the M3 for comparison purposes.

In the dyno, "Vic55_M3_Final_Scoops", interestingly enough, although his car netted a LOSS on the chargepipe installation by itself. Remember all his baselines now are without the RPi scoops, so he's "bone stock" as far as intake systems go. But with just the addition of the Ram Air Scoops, we netted the gains in HP and a good amount of torque as the car revved up (4100+). Vic's car did NOT like the Chargepipe the moment it was added, and can arguably be explained by having his car extremely dialed in to the setup he had. I could see why the scoops would work in a dialed in car, since it's helping to direct that fan air smoothly into the OEM system as it needs the airflow and speed - air volume isn't particularly increased with the RAM AIR scoops, but rather an easier attainable hi-flow inlet of cold air, my thoughts. Again, this graph is ONLY the ram air scoops + OEM. PowerChip states that the complete ENVY system can be dialed in accordingly when the time comes for a retune or if Vic is up for it.

On "VIc55_M3_Final.jpg", it was a bit frustrating because any combination we tried WITH the chargepipe netted a loss. Vic decided to just keep the ChargePipe out and leave the scoops, boxcover, and transition pipe in and voila, power came back to the system. We had to run this a few configurations just to see this happen consistently and it really, really irked me to accept, but that's okay. I felt in the end that comparing a chipped car vs. bone stock car was very important in these tests. Running the full system without the chargepipe achieved maximum horsepower of the day and maximum horsepower over stock. The netted gain in this scenario, is just 1.3HP more than the maximum the ENVY ram air scoops gained by themselves - without additional tuning.

--------

I'd like thoughts and responses that add towards a dyno discussion of these products (I'll start a troubleshoot thread elsewhere if/when I can on any other issues). I hope that anyone even remotely interested in ANY intake system on ANY platform would be proud, crazy enough, and/or extremely thick skinned to have their products scrutinizingly tested with results displayed "rain" or "shine" in all types of combinations and scenarios. And I'm happy to be involved as a field rep for the Tecnocraft product to report these findings as independently as I possibly can. By all means, I am again urging anyone wanting to baseline and compare their E92s to the Tecnocraft ENVY Intake System at either of these two OUTSTANDING facilities for base comparisons:

Alex@Gintani - DYNODYNAMICS
Mike@Autowave - DYNODYNAMICS

These guys are both honest and reputable people who can pull up these graphs at any time for you.

Notes on future testing:

Sina has a "VBOX" and PC can supply the "BavTech" cables so we can do the 60-130s, or record IATs, whatnot... if theyre all up for it, I would love to test these too as a "Part 2" to the tests.

Last edited by PYSpeed.com; 03-24-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Good JOB with the updates!

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

nice, but we need one more dyno chart. We need to know what the car gets from JUST a powerchip tune on a stock car.

Thanks

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Probably the big thing that scares people off from a Chargepipe is the lack of a seal that's similar to the Dinan piece. I wish there was like a rubber slip-on section and an additional clamp included with the Chargepipe to seal the whole thing...I wish I could explain it better, I have it in my head, but I can't explain it well. That's the one thing I want from my Chargepipe atm....

Thanks for the review Eric, wish we could get some data like this from a non-tuned car. (From what I read, both cars were PC tuned? I'm at work so I only had time to skim the article, sorry if I missed it.)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_LIN View Post
nice, but we need one more dyno chart. We need to know what the car gets from JUST a powerchip tune on a stock car.

Thanks

Ed Lin
+1 - need to see in those graphs how the stock charge pipe performed with the PC tunes that were created for the Envy charge pipe...

Great information nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

agreed, when most companies test a product they do it off of a bone stock car then compare the bone stock cars dyno to the product added dyno. no ecu tunes just a complete stock car for the baseline then one with the product
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
kugo188
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
Probably the big thing that scares people off from a Chargepipe is the lack of a seal that's similar to the Dinan piece. I wish there was like a rubber slip-on section and an additional clamp included with the Chargepipe to seal the whole thing...I wish I could explain it better, I have it in my head, but I can't explain it well. That's the one thing I want from my Chargepipe atm....

Thanks for the review Eric, wish we could get some data like this from a non-tuned car. (From what I read, both cars were PC tuned? I'm at work so I only had time to skim the article, sorry if I missed it.)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

That was great...Thanks Eric for all your efforts. You've been great through all this. So the final conclusion was that just charge pipe alone without tune netted gains on car#1 but not car#2? That's just strange. So is it that every M3 is slightly different and may or may not increase hp with chargepipe installation? Was car#2 not liking the chargepipe because the tune was too dialed in to previous settings? Great info so far but still kinda confused...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

That was great...Thanks Eric for all your efforts. You've been great through all this. So the final conclusion was that just charge pipe alone without tune netted gains on car#1 but not car#2? That's just strange. So is it that every M3 is slightly different and may or may not increase hp with chargepipe installation? Was car#2 not liking the chargepipe because the tune was too dialed in to previous settings? Great info so far but still kinda confused...

****WHAT THE HECK??! DOUBLE POST! SORRY!****
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:

+1 That's the one thing I wish the Technocraft Chargepipe had also...Any way you can make it happen, Eric?? I've seen people's pieces awfully loose and, to me, that's a cause for concern. I'm sure dust/dirt particles and pine needles getting sucked into the engine wouldn't be very good. Yes, that's how loose the piece was. Can someone help me understand how important an air tight seal is or isn't?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:

+1 That's the one thing I wish the Technocraft Chargepipe had also...Any way you can make it happen, Eric?? I've seen people's pieces awfully loose and, to me, that's a cause for concern. I'm sure dust/dirt particles and pine needles getting sucked into the engine wouldn't be very good. Yes, that's how loose the piece was. Can someone help me understand how important an air tight seal is or isn't?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper206 View Post
It's very important that close to the intake manifold. The manifold is optimised and tuned in conjunction with other engine characteristics such as intake valve timing, all under the presence of an air tight system. Although a leak won't greatly affect flow capacity (unless it is huge), it can change the air pressure characteristics more significantly, which could detrimentally affect performance. It will also generate heat and cause turbulence, because air escaping through the leak does so at high pressure (think of a small leak in a garden hose)

I have to really say the most important thing Tecnocraft can do is address the fitment issues of the pipe. Unfortunately I bought this piece quite some time ago when it was fairly new to the market and was not aware of the fitment requirements - I wouldn't have purchased the product if I had been aware of the fitment.

Last edited by mixja; 03-25-2010 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
It's very important that close to the intake manifold. The manifold is optimised and tuned in conjunction with other engine characteristics such as intake valve timing, all under the presence of an air tight system. Although a leak won't greatly affect flow capacity (unless it is huge), it can change the air pressure characteristics more significantly, which could detrimentally affect performance. It will also generate heat and cause turbulence, because air escaping through the leak does so at high pressure (think of a small leak in a garden hose)

I have to really say the most important thing Tecnocraft can do is address the fitment issues of the pipe. Unfortunately I bought this piece quite some time ago when it was fairly new to the market and was not aware of the fitment requirements - I wouldn't have purchase the product if I had been aware of the fitment.

+1 Me either. Had I known I was gonna have to wrap the manifold as many times as I had to (approx 12 times), to get an airtight seal, I would have just gone with the Dinan Chargepipe. Design is wayyy better with the rubber accordian tubing for a tight fit. Thanks for the info Mixja. So, I was right! Airtight fit IS pretty critical. ERIC!!! Make it happen!! RUBBER ACCORDIAN TUBING FOR AN AIRTIGHT FIT!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
ERIC!!! Make it happen!! RUBBER ACCORDIAN TUBING FOR AN AIRTIGHT FIT!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
kugo188
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
+1 Me either. Had I known I was gonna have to wrap the manifold as many times as I had to (approx 12 times), to get an airtight seal, I would have just gone with the Dinan Chargepipe. Design is wayyy better with the rubber accordian tubing for a tight fit. Thanks for the info Mixja. So, I was right! Airtight fit IS pretty critical. ERIC!!! Make it happen!! RUBBER ACCORDIAN TUBING FOR AN AIRTIGHT FIT!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #16
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Too confusing... so the pipe still loses power...?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #17
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Make it happen!! RUBBER ACCORDIAN TUBING FOR AN AIRTIGHT FIT!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Too confusing... so the pipe still loses power...?
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #19
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
ERIC!!! Make it happen!! RUBBER ACCORDIAN TUBING FOR AN AIRTIGHT FIT!!!
Can we get a #4?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #20
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

if there are any gains at all they are minimal...if you want your engine to look pretty buy some tecnocraft if you want power dont bother keep your stock intake...its that straight forward
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #21
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
if there are any gains at all they are minimal...if you want your engine to look pretty buy some tecnocraft if you want power dont bother keep your stock intake
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #22
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

Minimal gains for $650.00

I was really hoping to see this dyno done with the stock air filter
Appreciate 0