E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is my subwoofer working?

12-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Is my subwoofer working?

Is the sub always on? I've turned up the bass, played with the EQ settings but not much bass. In my E46 you could feel the bass from the rear window speakers I believe?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
E90MSport
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90MSport

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yeah.. got the same problem. I don't notice the sub at all got the Logic7 and so far it's very disappointing setup. Any ideas, is it possible that the dealer haven't "enabled" the subs???
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
Speedy E90
330 Sport, Comfort, Winter, Navi, Carbon Fiber Lip, Sparkling Graphite, Beige Leather, V710
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330 sport

thats odd I got Logic 7 and the sound is awesome. Great bass!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i have the standard sound system, and yesterday turned the bass all the way and damn, i felt like my car was a sub. it was insane.
      12-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

I have the regular system and turned the bass all the way up and I don't feel anything...The system in my opinion is far from adequate...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 07:48 AM   #6
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Got logic 7 and it sounds great. However the bass will depend on the recording quality of your songs. Original albums are best to go with your stereo but I just stick to my ipod.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #7
jlr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 33i

The sound system will sound great if you set it up right !

The sound system will be like a rock show when playing CDs if you...

1) The the EQ so it looks like a V. The center of the V should be at the half way point. like the below.

- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- -
-
-
-
-
2) Set the base and treble at least to 80 percent max.

Rock on !
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
fyi classical music doesnt have bass lol
      12-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #9
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

IF the subs really weren´t working, you´d not be asking. You´d know because then the system would sould very much like a telephone with a tweater.

Logic7 is not a thumping aftermarket system (even less so than the H/K in the E46). It´s got wonderfull deep bass, but the bass is just as loud as it would be in a very good home system. Meaning it´s closer to a linear reproduction than most would be used to (especially those who´ve ever had an aftermarket setup in a car which "allways" is set up to give about 10db more bass than would be linear)

If you want it thumping loud enough for your neigbour at the stoplight to look over, you´ll need to go aftermarket.
      01-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
Max Power
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330 xi- mystic blue

I have to agree that the sound is far from overwhelming. I have a very good home system so I know how my recordings should sound. The sound in the car is very distant and certainly lacking bass. Even if I turn the bass all the way up or adjust the EQ to max out the lower frequencies I never hear cellos properly or much of a thump. The "music" setting is completely worthless. It adjusts the music to come out of the center channel primarily which compresses and flattens the image.

I have a 330 which should have the logic 7. Just to be sure, I checked and there are tweeters on the front doors and midrange speakers on the rear doors, so I do seem to have t correct music.
set-up.

I too was also wondering if the subs never got connected. Maybe something else is wrong. I cannot be this bad by design. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
Max Power
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330 xi- mystic blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 Baller
fyi classical music doesnt have bass lol
It certainly does! There is that instrument on the right, what is it called? Perhaps the bass?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 01:29 AM   #12
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power
I have to agree that the sound is far from overwhelming. I have a very good home system so I know how my recordings should sound. The sound in the car is very distant and certainly lacking bass. Even if I turn the bass all the way up or adjust the EQ to max out the lower frequencies I never hear cellos properly or much of a thump. The "music" setting is completely worthless. It adjusts the music to come out of the center channel primarily which compresses and flattens the image.

I have a 330 which should have the logic 7. Just to be sure, I checked and there are tweeters on the front doors and midrange speakers on the rear doors, so I do seem to have t correct music.
set-up.

I too was also wondering if the subs never got connected. Maybe something else is wrong. I cannot be this bad by design. Any suggestions?
You can be sure your subs are connected. If they weren´t, the biggest speaker in your car would be 4inches in diameter. That would sound like a telephone call. You may think you have no bass now, but if you really had disconnected subs, you wouldn´t be wondering, you´d KNOW they´re disconnected.
      01-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #13
Raindog
Rep
Drives: 330XI

Aren't the subs under the seats with the Logic 7 system? I certainly get bass in the car but I NEVER feel it under my butt, only from the speakers on the sides, etc. Is it the same for everyone else here, or could the speakers under my seats not be working? How do I know for sure??
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog
Aren't the subs under the seats with the Logic 7 system? I certainly get bass in the car but I NEVER feel it under my butt, only from the speakers on the sides, etc. Is it the same for everyone else here, or could the speakers under my seats not be working? How do I know for sure??
Yes, the subs are under the seat and yes, it´s normal to only hear but not feel them. As I said, if they weren´t working, you wouldn´t be asking. You´d know they´re not working because you wouldn´t hear a single bass note. Think Barry White without balls.

The reason why you´re irritated is probably because you´re used to aftermearket subs that overemphasise the very low bass portion and blow serious amouts of moved air from the trunk into the cabin. Apart from the aural experience that will also rattle your seatback and give you a pressurized feeling on your back. You "feel" the bass as much as you hear it.

The logic 7 subs don´t do that. They just play the bass instead of martering you with air pressure. They don´t have to move as much air as a trunk sub would have to because they are a lot closer to your ear and thus don´t have to play so loud. Actually that is a more realistic music reproduction than most humping bumping aftermarket subs will give you. In natural music production there hardly ever is that belly shaking air movement. Apart from some huge organs very few (natural) instruments could actually produce bass that you can really feel. Only in rock concerts with massive amplification will the bass be moving so much air that you´ll have your lunch chewed over again. (I´m overstating things here on purpose to make a point)