BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

02-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #133
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Lol...ok.
I am speaking specifically of the act of driving in the fast or passing lane. It is patently illegal in most states.

I have a long drive today. If you wish, I can count the signs that say, "Keep Right Except for Passing" or some variation thereof in the 4 states that I will pass through.
And yet, if someone is going the speed limit or 1mph faster, and passing traffic, they are perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #134
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

Insanity!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #135
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
And yet, if someone is going the speed limit or 1mph faster, and passing traffic, they are perfectly fine.
This is not what I am discussing.
I am discussing the specific activity of parking a car in the fast lane, regardless of speed, and impeding the flow of traffic.

Please stick to this subject.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #136
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
.... I can count the signs that say, "Keep Right Except for Passing" or some variation thereof in the 4 states that I will pass through.
It's called "common sense" or "basic driving skill" that entitles you to driver's licence in Europe
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #137
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

JUST TO CLEAR THINGS UP....

There are several different scenarios:

1. Some states only permit the use of the left lane for passing. Simply put, keep right except to pass regardless of speed limit.

2. Some states require you to yield to faster moving vehicles in the left lane, regardless of speed limit.

3. Most states require you to stay right if you are travelling slower than the flow of traffic, regardless of speed limit.

4. Very few states allow slower moving vehicles to occupy the left lane, OR travel at the speed limit in the left lane.

In closing, you would be in the wrong in 90%, and an absolute idiot in 99%, of situations where you are forcing vehicles to pass you on your right.

Last edited by WHL102; 02-18-2016 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #138
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
JUST TO CLEAR THINGS UP....

There are several different scenarios:

1. Some states only permit the use of the left lane for passing. Simply put, keep right except to pass regardless of speed limit.

2. Some states require you to yield to faster moving vehicles in the left lane, regardless of speed limit.

3. Most states require you to stay right if you are travelling slower than the flow of traffic, regardless of speed limit.

4. Very few states allow slower moving vehicles to occupy the left lane, OR travel at the speed limit in the left lane.

In closing, you would be in the wrong in 90%, and an absolute idiot in 99%, of situations where you are forcing vehicles to pass you on your right.
Which states do you see any of it being enforced by police? (My answer: never seen it, not once, in 45+ years of driving in 30+ states.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #139
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Which states do you see any of it being enforced by police? (My answer: never seen it, not once, in 45+ years of driving in 30+ states.
OK

Thought I would contribute something more than anecdotal evidence. But OK.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #140
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
So because of some history a few hundred years ago, it's all okay? And no as many mass shootings as I think? I didn't think, I looked it up; it was called a "fact."

Hey, we used to roam about invading everyone and created a huge empire; but we don't do that any more.
We used to execute people.
We used to not allow women to vote.
We used to burn witches.

We used to do a lot of things that are no longer legal or appropriate. Maybe the US could consider a bit of change too? Especially as your modern "history" isn't very old.
Gun ownership is a legal right under the US Constitution. You missed the point.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #141
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Destin, Florida. December 28, 2015. Wife, daughter and myself in the X5 3.5i approximately 3 pm in the afternoon. Next.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 10:16 PM   #142
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

But 98% of the time, this is not what happens. What is happening is that the person in the "fast" lane is passing traffic on the right, at or above the speed limit. They just aren't going fast enough for you when you come up on them at 85mph.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #143
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
But 98% of the time, this is not what happens. What is happening is that the person in the "fast" lane is passing traffic on the right, at or above the speed limit. They just aren't going fast enough for you.
Unless you are in WA state, where there is always a line of Prius and Odesseys going 5-10 under the limit. It's a @%$^ cult thing here. If you are lucky, they are not purposefully blocking side by side.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #144
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
The thing I find most ironic about this is that a bunch of BMW drivers are seriously discussing the rights of certain drivers to impede the flow of traffic.

Where have all of the enthusiast gone? Driving a German car meant giving up a few creature comforts because the thrill of the drive and the precision of the machine were the most important aspects of owning the vehicle. It also meant that you took extra care to learn about driving dynamics by reading, The Art and Science of GP Driving by Niki Lauda or Sports and Competition Driving by Paul Frere.

Reading this thread has made me rethink my position on BMWs market positioning. It seems that the blood has been thinned if BMW drivers...German car drivers, think that it is OK to impede the flow of traffic by blocking the fast lane.

(Drops Mic)

Cheers-mk

Last edited by MKSixer; 02-19-2016 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 4
      02-19-2016, 02:53 AM   #145
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
That's not the point.

The point is that getting mad about it should be about the last thing on earth you'd get mad at. If the person going 66 is going to pass someone going 65, the limit, they have just as much right to be in the "fast" lane as you. You are not special.

Seriously?
They can go 65, the idea is to keep the left lane for faster traffic, so people don't have to swerve all around them in order to go 75. This makes it a lot more dangerous and honestly, giving up the fast lane if you're going 65 won't kill anyone. Let faster traffic pass on the right, you never know why someone is speeding, might be a life or death situation.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2016, 05:33 AM   #146
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
They can go 65, the idea is to keep the left lane for faster traffic, so people don't have to swerve all around them in order to go 75. This makes it a lot more dangerous and honestly, giving up the fast lane if you're going 65 won't kill anyone. Let faster traffic pass on the right, you never know why someone is speeding, might be a life or death situation.
I'll be honest... I just like to drive fast (it's why I own a BMW).

But seriously, in most metropolitan areas, the concept of keeping the left-most lane open just for passing traffic is a bit antiquated. Most large cities has levels of traffic that all lanes are occupied simply because the road space is saturated with cars. And although I enjoy driving fast and have a somewhat disregard for paying speeding tickets, others do not. So if I'm travelling at well over the speed limit and some jerk in a BMW comes up on my ass because he's going 3 MPH faster than me and I am travelling at the fastest speed possible in the (left) lane while keeping a safe braking distance between me and the car in front (also traveling well above the speed limit - or better phrased the ambient speed limit) there is no need for such tailgating behavior from the BMW. This is where I find a high level of annoyance and provide a bit of a brake-check just to keep things in perspective for him/her.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #147
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

But seriously, in most metropolitan areas, the concept of keeping the left-most lane open just for passing traffic is a bit antiquated. Most large cities has levels of traffic that all lanes are occupied simply because the road space is saturated with cars. And although I enjoy driving fast and have a somewhat disregard for paying speeding tickets, others do not. So if I'm travelling at well over the speed limit and some jerk in a Lifted Pick-Up Truck comes up on my ass because he's going 3 MPH faster than me and I am travelling at the fastest speed possible in the (left) lane while keeping a safe braking distance between me and the car in front (also traveling well above the speed limit - or better phrased the ambient speed limit) there is no need for such tailgating behavior from the Lifted Pick-Up Truck. This is where I find a high level of annoyance and provide a bit of a brake-check just to keep things in perspective for him/her.
I made a regional adjustment to this.

And there is nothing like a good brake check to keep things in perspective for people. That and attacking a turn at speeds they can't possible make WITHOUT using the brakes to slow one bit. The lurching as they struggle to make the turn is a good lesson for these jerks.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #148
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
I've seen police cruisers come up on left lane people going slow I don't know how many times marked and unmarked and flip their lights after following for 30 seconds or so....as soon as the idiot left lane cockus dorkus signals and moves over, the cruiser cuts lights and continues on it's way with multiple civilian normal people in tow....usually going 5-15 miles mph faster than posted speed limit which is in line with most of the flowing traffic.

I work with a lot of LE dudes and asked them about this, they essentially replied you're request for confirmed enforcement with a stop or ticket of this is ridiculous at best. What I described above is what they consider enforcement, they moved the cockus dorkus left lane impeder out of the way. None said they'd ticket anyone for it but that they would do as described above.
But a couple mentioned that they have pulled people over for going excessively below the speed limit in the left lane, on those occasions it turned out to be some elderly person just cruising along barely seeing over the steering wheel, they confirmed they were ok with meds and maybe tried to adjust seats and wished them a good day, no ticket of course(I love old people by the way).

Quote:

But seriously, in most metropolitan areas, the concept of keeping the left-most lane open just for passing traffic is a bit antiquated.....
Yes, you are correct, although I wouldn't use the word antiquated or obsolete. It is more of a common sense traffic situation. Inside of Atlanta in the perimeter for example, you have like six lanes across in some areas and still full of traffic, it makes no sense obviously that the left lane would remain empty.

You're explanation relating to a city/metro area is out of context in my opinion. What I am thinking of is driving from Atl-Mia(I95 S), Destin-Houston(I10 W) or any long distance trip across or through states with long intervals between cities.
In those situations when you're the dude blasting through some small town and as usually is the case there is traffic filtering into the interstate and then you get that one enormous a-hole that moves into the left lane at the speed limit or decides to pass the seven semis on the right going 1 mph faster forcing everyone behind him to come out of cruise control, which then inevitably makes one road rager decide he has enough space to stomp the gas and try to pass everyone in between the one car space in between semis......thats the type of shite I hate....

So no, it isn't antiquated, you just need to keep it context. Ask zee germans if it's antiquated on the autobahn.

There are signs posted in many states I drive through...slow traffic keep right. Why the hell are some of even arguing this lol. Debate team rejects, sheesh.

So many sites many of which are state sponsored and designed to edumacate the cockus dorkus left lane idiots from driving slow or slower than the flow of traffic or faster moving cars behind them. All you bored debate team rejects need to go to drivers ed retraining. But please in the words of the rap scholar and gentleman Ludacris "Mooove bitch, get out the way".
And remember: "Keep up or keep right".
Type in "SLOW TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" in google:
Couple of examples...
http://www.californiakeepright.com/main_video.html

http://slowertraffickeepright.com

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 02-19-2016 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #149
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
This is where I find a high level of annoyance and provide a bit of a brake-check just to keep things in perspective for him/her.
Quote:
And there is nothing like a good brake check to keep things in perspective for people.
Aaaaannnnddd we've gone full circle. Something like a brake check may very well have been what triggered the rage fest witnessed on the video.

For the record I'm as much in favor of keeping right / passing left as anyone. I can also rant at stupid drivers with the best of them, and I have a bit of a temper besides. I just try to keep it in check when I'm behind the wheel. I've long ago concluded that getting injured or killed in a road rage incident is a pretty lame way to go no matter who might have been at fault for what at the start of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #150
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Aaaaannnnddd we've gone full circle. Something like a brake check may very well have been what triggered the rage fest witnessed on the video.

For the record I'm as much in favor of keeping right / passing left as anyone. I can also rant at stupid drivers with the best of them, and I have a bit of a temper besides. I just try to keep it in check when I'm behind the wheel. I've long ago concluded that getting injured or killed in a road rage incident is a pretty lame way to go no matter who might have been at fault for what at the start of it.
Dude, gotta admit, you're 100% right.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #151
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

Speculation.

As said before, if I am cruising along WITH the flow of traffic following a safe distance behind the car in front of me (I DO NOT tailgate), I expect the car following me to do the same.

You don't live here but this is how these douches operate with sports car drivers. It happens at lease once a week whether I am driving my i8 or my M6. I leave out pretty early in the morning and it is usually dark. They come up with enough lights on to be seen from space and park on your 6. Every one of my friends who drive high-end cars experience the same douchery. There is absolutely no reason to tailgate another driver...none. They do it for straight intimidation and I don't play the game.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #152
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speculation.

As said before, if I am cruising along WITH the flow of traffic following a safe distance behind the car in front of me (I DO NOT tailgate), I expect the car following me to do the same.

You don't live here but this is how these douches operate with sports car drivers. It happens at lease once a week whether I am driving my i8 or my M6. I leave out pretty early in the morning and it is usually dark. They come up with enough lights on to be seen from space and park on your 6. Every one of my friends who drive high-end cars experience the same douchery. There is absolutely no reason to tailgate another driver...none. They do it for straight intimidation and I don't play the game.

Cheers-mk
I understand your frustration, I really do. I hate people riding me also, but a brake check isn't the best answer. That's a road rage type reaction really.
Now believe me I'm not debating you or outright accusing you of anything but I think there are better solutions besides a brake check. Not everyone has good brakes or good reflexes to stop accordingly.
Be safe out there with those fine machines.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #153
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
May not be enforced, hard to prove/argue, but in my opinion it should be.
You know what else doesn't get enforced, driving with high beams into oncoming traffic. But I see both all the time, and doing either of these (as well as tailgating the slow guy) makes you a douche and disrespectful towards people that share the road with you.

Quote:
But 98% of the time, this is not what happens. What is happening is that the person in the "fast" lane is passing traffic on the right, at or above the speed limit. They just aren't going fast enough for you when you come up on them at 85mph.
Oh, I disagree with this, I see this daily. Last night past 10PM, so not rush hour, no slow traffic to be seen, 65 km commute, I counted 7 cars blocking passing lane going exactly the speed limit, some of them, a car length ahead of the car on their right, moving at the same speed, 2 of them just driving in left lane with 2 others being completely empty.

~~for law enforcement officials on the forum: of course I was observing all this going 1 below speed limit in the middle lane and minding my own business
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #154
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
I understand your frustration, I really do. I hate people riding me also, but a brake check isn't the best answer. That's a road rage type reaction really.
Now believe me I'm not debating you or outright accusing you of anything but I think there are better solutions besides a brake check. Not everyone has good brakes or good reflexes to stop accordingly.
Be safe out there with those fine machines.
I appreciate your response and concern.

I typically lift and slow at first and this nearly always generates the response of getting closer.

Next, I touch the brakes enough with my left foot enough to show the lights without slowing the vehicle.

If I brake-check someone, they have been a complete asshat. Additionally, I never use any of my cars' full capabilities. I know that it would end in disaster...especially with the M6.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 2