BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Mporium BMW

05-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT

Hampton Roads/Norfolk dealership recommendations?

I'll be moving to the Hampton Roads, VA area around October, and had a few questions in regards to the M3.

1. My car will be due for a 2 year service in November/December (still have <5K miles). Are there any dealer service departments I should stay away from, and any ones you would recommend?

2. I currently have the 19" ZCP wheels with the Pirrelli stock rubber... are there any laws in VA to run winter/snow tires? Is this a must for VA weather?

3. Are there any state inspection requirements and at what frequency?

4. I would like to get my car tinted... any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I can't wait to meet some of the other local M3's around the area.

Regards,
Chris

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
1 - not sure about dealerships down that far south

2 - no laws to my knowledge; it hardly ever snows in southern VA

3 - yes; annual safety inspection is a law; emissions must be done every 2 years

4 - not a clue but make sure its a legal %; cops love writing those tickets
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
one more thing - front plates are mandatory in the state of VA
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
N1COM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: LMB E92

1. 2 BMW dealers here. Casey BMW (Newport News) and Checkered Flag (VA Beach). It seems people in hampton roads like Casey's service. They tend to be mod friendly.

2. It doesn't snow much here, but last season got pretty bad. No laws on snow tires that I know of.

3. State inspections 1/year

4. I got my tints done at J's Auto Cleaning Service in Chesapeake. They're the only dealer in the area that installs Formula 1. The guy is pretty good. I got 35% all around. He couldn't tint the dot matrix so he used vinyl on that section. We have strict tint laws, but I feel like cops won't ticket you if you don't drive like an asshat or if your ride isn't ghetto.

Welcome to Hampton Roads btw. Make sure you join our Hampton Roads ///M group on Facebook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris View Post
I'll be moving to the Hampton Roads, VA area around October, and had a few questions in regards to the M3.

1. My car will be due for a 2 year service in November/December (still have <5K miles). Are there any dealer service departments I should stay away from, and any ones you would recommend?

2. I currently have the 19" ZCP wheels with the Pirrelli stock rubber... are there any laws in VA to run winter/snow tires? Is this a must for VA weather?

3. Are there any state inspection requirements and at what frequency?

4. I would like to get my car tinted... any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I can't wait to meet some of the other local M3's around the area.

Regards,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT

Thanks for the info. Do I need to have my annual inspection done before I can get a plate and tag?

Btw: how does the BMW traffic work on the idrive in that area? Do you get efficient rerouting options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1COM3 View Post
1. 2 BMW dealers here. Casey BMW (Newport News) and Checkered Flag (VA Beach). It seems people in hampton roads like Casey's service. They tend to be mod friendly.

2. It doesn't snow much here, but last season got pretty bad. No laws on snow tires that I know of.

3. State inspections 1/year

4. I got my tints done at J's Auto Cleaning Service in Chesapeake. They're the only dealer in the area that installs Formula 1. The guy is pretty good. I got 35% all around. He couldn't tint the dot matrix so he used vinyl on that section. We have strict tint laws, but I feel like cops won't ticket you if you don't drive like an asshat or if your ride isn't ghetto.

Welcome to Hampton Roads btw. Make sure you join our Hampton Roads ///M group on Facebook!

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
8tnfox
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniczoom5 View Post

3 - yes; annual safety inspection is a law; emissions must be done every 2 years
Emissions only in the Northern counties.
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#emissions.asp
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8tnfox View Post
Emissions only in the Northern counties.
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#emissions.asp
well i find that unfair!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
va05sti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I recommend checkered flag on va blvd i have been going there for years always have treated me vary well. I would request tony acker he is my tech there and a long time friend.

As far as tires go you will be fine 99% of the time on normal tires if it is bad every thing closes and you wont be driving anyways.

I have never run a front tag on any of my cars in va there is a chance you will get a ticket for it 91 $ but they really don't mess with the m3's at all.
Appreciate 0