BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #45
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Wrong on 2 counts.
  1. "Slower" cars don't crash into trees at 120 mph after 195 feet of braking.
  2. Statistically, there will be far more fatal accidents in "slower" cars, just because there are so few 400+ hp cars on the road. It's all a function of sample size. If there are 100 teenagers driving M5's and 1 million teenagers driving Civics, of course there are going to be more fatalities in Civics.

Every teenager WILL find himself or herself in a situation where they run out of talent. (As a former PCA instructor, I know that statement is not limited to just teenagers). As new drivers work their way up the learning curve, they will brake too late, corner too fast, or react too late in a panic situation.

My kids will go to BMWCCA's Street Survival, and will go autocrossing with me to find out what it feels like as a vehicle nears and exceeds the limits of adhesion. I will arm them with every skill I have. But at the end of the day they will still be teenagers. The first time they lose traction on a rain-soaked offramp, I want it to be in a Jetta going 40, not an M3 going 70.

As you can tell, I feel pretty passionate about this. If that means I live without an M for a while (or forever), that's a trade-off I am willing to make. Like I said earlier, I bet that father in Florida wishes he had a do-over.
like u said, lets be fair here and use proportions or percentages. not 10000 kids in hondas die and 5 in m's. and i get what you are saying, i guess its just a difference of opinion and upbringing, and i agree with the above that with some parents its about ego and their neighbors and impressing people, but not all are like this.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #46
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
like u said, lets be fair here and use proportions or percentages. not 10000 kids in hondas die and 5 in m's. and i get what you are saying, i guess its just a difference of opinion and upbringing, and i agree with the above that with some parents its about ego and their neighbors and impressing people, but not all are like this.
who cares about kids ... you guys should take it somewhere else ...

if you are not in charge of your kids then it is too bad for you ... I would never sell my car ( whatever it is ) just because my kids some day would ask me to take it for a spin ... i don't how they have less chances to get in a wreck on 328 than M3 ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #47
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

just got back from a test drive ... i didn't feel like driving it myself, so i was just a passenger ... Let me tell you, GT3 is a totally different car ... What I liked about it that it is very simple and truly high performance car ... M3 is one of my favorite cars but is it not the same as GT3 at all ...

While I was there M Kevin brought his GT3 ... His car is super hot !
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #48
smiwi
Smiwi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Convertible

Garage List
2009 e93 M3  [0.00]
Are you kidding?

I'd buy one for each day of the week (all with slightly different options) if I had a big enough garage...

2009 E93, Every option...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #49
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
If you would have an opportunity to buy an M3 again would you do it ?

Or would you consider getting one of these cars:

997 GT3 or GT3 RS

What I like about M3 is that it is a perfect DD and can shine on the track as well !
I absolutely agree on the DD/Track thing...absolutely amazing at both...I'm still shocked at how good it is.

With that said, I seem to suffer the same ills that plague stud-bulls...once I've banged something, I'm on to the next one (thankfully I'm not that way with my wife!!!). Having several cars in the last few years, I bore easily of them and am always looking for "the next one".

Your choices above are spot on...GT3 or GT3RS....hellyeah!!! If I was in a position to drop that cash on a car and those were my choices, I'd RS it.
That may be the car that I'd hold on to for years...but I always say that...

For a daily, the M is great. For the track, I want something more focused...more moddable...cageable. I'll be selling my M next year for something else...but don't tell 'er, I'm gonna let her down easy.

Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #50
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

This car has amazing versatility/utility. It can carry a set of wheels, a jack, and everything else you need to the track when you pull the rear seat off in literally 5 minutes, chase down C6 vettes/997 911Ss on the track all day long, take you back home without a jarring ride on the highway with EDC at comfort, and after you make it home and put the rear seat back in, take you, your parents and your girlfriend to brunch the next morning in style. What other car can do that???

However, I, too, am yearning for something more dedicated, but unlike Ace666, I will most likely hold onto the M for at least 2-3 more years (been 14 months), and will build a dedicated track car in the background...
      05-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #51
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
This car has amazing versatility/utility. It can carry a set of wheels, a jack, and everything else you need to the track when you pull the rear seat off in literally 5 minutes, chase down C6 vettes/997 911Ss on the track all day long, take you back home without a jarring ride on the highway with EDC at comfort, and after you make it home and put the rear seat back in, take you, your parents and your girlfriend to brunch the next morning in style. What other car can do that???

However, I, too, am yearning for something more dedicated, but unlike Ace666, I will most likely hold onto the M for at least 2-3 more years (been 14 months), and will build a dedicated track car in the background...
I agree. The M3 is an all around good car, but it is not a true sports car, I classify the M3 as more of a GT, a jack of all trades, but a master of none.

My 2004 C5 Z06 with 5YO technology beats my 2008 M3 in handling, cornering limits, acceleration, gas mileage, and weight. However it has no back seat.

If I did not have a 4YO, the C6 Z06 would be my car of choice. In fact after she is out of a car seat, I will probably trade in the M3 for another Z06

Having said that though, the M3 is the closest thing with 4 doors to the Z06 for the money.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #52
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Pick up the GT3/RS...

I'd only pick up the Turbo if I got rid of the M3 (which isn't happening)
      05-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #53
davett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Huracan,'11 1M, '10 GT-R

Garage List
2010 Nissan GT-R  [8.40]
2008 M3  [0.00]
2009 Carrera 4S  [0.00]
2007 Porsche  [0.00]
I recently test drove the maserati granturismo s (twice) and was very tempted, But might still consider replacing the M3 as my daily driver with something similar down the road

'15 Huracan,
'14 Q5 TDI
'14 R8, '11 1 Series M,'10 Nissan GT-R,'10 GT3 , '09 911 turbo , '08 M3 sold
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #54
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
who cares about kids ... you guys should take it somewhere else ...

if you are not in charge of your kids then it is too bad for you ... I would never sell my car ( whatever it is ) just because my kids some day would ask me to take it for a spin ... i don't how they have less chances to get in a wreck on 328 than M3 ?
we think alike.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #55
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would only pick up another M3 if they release a CSL.

Otherwise... I am not sure what I would get at this point... but most likely not an M3.

911s are nice, but it's the iconic car for middle aged men going through mid-life crisis. Also, 911s are everywhere... Porsche sells more 911s per year than BMW does the M3...

I am sure that the GT3 is a great car, but IMO it looks boring and lacks a soul.

Like many have said, the M3 is probably THE best all-arounder in the world. There are many cars that do one thing well, but none have the versatility of the M3. I guess I would just have multiple cars in the future (a Scuderia for the track, an XK-R for the daily travel, an X6M for the outdoors, a Lotus for the weekend, and a GTI for going to sketchy areas )
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #56
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
My teenage twins will be getting their licenses when my E93 comes off lease, and there's no way a 16-year-old should have access to an M. So I will probably do something boring and practical for a DD (3 series wagon? new X3? maybe a diesel?). And maybe something totally irrational just to tool around with on weekends (Caterham 7?)
so why not get them a different cheaper slower car? why do they have to drive your car?
I bought my son a 9 yeary old 3 series, last month, he starts drivinge next month.
he surely aint drivin mom and dads cars?
      05-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #57
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post

I am sure that the GT3 is a great car, but IMO it looks boring and lacks a soul.
No disrespect intended, but I imagine from the "lacks a soul" statement that you never drove one. Go test drive one and then come back and try and tell us that you haven't been sleepless whilst plotting/scheming/rationalizing about how you NEED that car.

I just about put myself into the hospital from sleep deprivation going back and forth in my mind after I tested a 996GT3. The immediate divorce, and cost of said spousal reaction, is what stopped me.

Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #58
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
You have got to be kidding.

"lacks a soul" - That is one of the dumbest quotes in history.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #59
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
I absolutely agree on the DD/Track thing...absolutely amazing at both...I'm still shocked at how good it is.

With that said, I seem to suffer the same ills that plague stud-bulls...once I've banged something, I'm on to the next one (thankfully I'm not that way with my wife!!!). Having several cars in the last few years, I bore easily of them and am always looking for "the next one".

Your choices above are spot on...GT3 or GT3RS....hellyeah!!! If I was in a position to drop that cash on a car and those were my choices, I'd RS it.
That may be the car that I'd hold on to for years...but I always say that...

For a daily, the M is great. For the track, I want something more focused...more moddable...cageable. I'll be selling my M next year for something else...but don't tell 'er, I'm gonna let her down easy.

Be good,
TomK
Tom I feel like your are my brother or something ... haha ...

I change my cars every 6-8 month and when I got M i told myself it is time to stop and that I should keep her and pass later on to my kids ( I am 27 and don't have any now ) ...

Now when the market is kind of soft , the prices went down and GT3 is pretty affordable ... So ... I don't know what to do ... Get another M or GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
No disrespect intended, but I imagine from the "lacks a soul" statement that you never drove one. Go test drive one and then come back and try and tell us that you haven't been sleepless whilst plotting/scheming/rationalizing about how you NEED that car.

I just about put myself into the hospital from sleep deprivation going back and forth in my mind after I tested a 996GT3. The immediate divorce, and cost of said spousal reaction, is what stopped me.

Be good,
TomK
I can't agree more ... GT3 is a pure race/street legal car ... no comparison to M3 ...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #60
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
997 GT3 RS

I see why you were at the Porsche dealership today...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #61
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post

Luckily for me I don't live that far from the tracks and I can always get access to all the tools I need at the track ... So, even with M i don't bring spare wheels or jack ... just the basic tools ... But I agree that M3 is more practical car ... and my parents don't like to ride in my car ... it is too loud and stiff for them
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #62
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
997 GT3 RS

I see why you were at the Porsche dealership today...
who told you Kevin ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #63
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
who told you Kevin ?
yes, he told everyone on m3f.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #64
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

GT3.

When an engine is referred, in-house, by the manufacturers of a great marque as: "the Masterpiece", that has to be something that any aficionado has to aspire to. But when I heard, then saw, a GT3 being warmed up for its soon-to-be owner at Zuffenhausen (just in front of the old Porsche Museum), I thought: "would love to do this some day."

Still, am thinking similarly about my M-car at Die Welt: wonderful experience ahead. Not complaining!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #65
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

I'm very content with my M3 but if I had to do it again, I might have looked into an M6
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #66
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
I'm very content with my M3 but if I had to do it again, I might have looked into an M6
sorry but M6 is kind of boring ... plus SMG is not the best part of that car ...
Appreciate 0