BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Panoramic rear view mirrors......

Looking to get a wide angle mirror for the E46, saw a couple at some shows recently and got to sit in the cars and they do seem to make a difference and I think they look cool too lol Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them and what brands you all prefer. I'd rather stay away from the clip over the OEM mirror style and go for one that mounts where the sun visors are. The cars I was in had wink mirrors but in doing some searching people have reported quality issues with them and the panes falling out, also pricing for them seems to be all over the place. On Bimmerworld they run around $50 but I saw them at Pep Boys for $25?

I am also not looking for a lecture on how you don't need this because with properly adjusted mirrors you can see everything, I know that and have all mine properly adjusted. Since I use the car around town when belted in with the harnesses it's sometimes a little tough to check all around and I like the idea of increased situational awareness that this can provide.

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Whatever, or whichever provides the view you are "looking" for. So, whats the question. If you need a better view, go for it.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom
Whatever, or whichever provides the view you are "looking" for. So, whats the question. If you need a better view, go for it.
vz
Wondering what anyone else on here has had previous experience with I've only come across the wink mirrors but as i said they seem to get bad reviews.....

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would never ever put a panoramic in a non racecar. It looks silly and is unnecessary if people aren't dive bombing you etc.

That being said, I really liked the wink panoramic in my E36 M3 racecar. It provides more field of vision for sure (once you get used to seeing like 5 of each car if they're in the right spot...). Don't know why wink got bad reviews. Racer's Edge also makes a nice one IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Why not just get Euro exterior mirrors. They worked get in my e46 and since they are not auto-dimming they don't cost an arm & a leg.

EURO Mirrors
      09-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I have the 17" longacre convex mirror in my race car, and like it. It also comes in 14" I think. Might be possible to find a way to temporarily secure it onto the OEM mirror during track days, but would take some effort.