BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #287
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I used to have this noise in my 2009 M3 after 10K miles for about 3 months. In those 3 months, it wasn't consistent and happened once every couple of days. Ever since then, for the past 3.5 years, it's never happened again.
      05-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #288
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

THIS. THIS IS THE NOISE. IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Just had new wheels put on my 2013 DCT E92. Don't know if it's related, but the noise started about 5 days after that I could tell. Mostly there at only low speeds, though it could be there at high speeds just hard to hear with the wind.

Haven't taken it to dealer yet because life. But at least I have some clue now.

Likely either heat shields or e-brake spring. Will try pushing heat shields first.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #289
MarinM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT

So, nobody has a real answer for this, right? It happens to everyone, but nobody can say with any authority what causes it, or how to fix it. The best answer on all 14 pages is "it went away by itself."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #290
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinM3 View Post
So, nobody has a real answer for this, right? It happens to everyone, but nobody can say with any authority what causes it, or how to fix it. The best answer on all 14 pages is "it went away by itself."
Go to each wheel.. Behind your rotors is a metal backing plate. Push/Jiggle it a bit and you'll get some pebbles to fall out that got flung in there. It eliminated all the noise for me.

Fuelly :: Adelei's Gas Mileage
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #291
glockperfect
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockperfect View Post
I'm in on this thread. Let my wife drive the car for two days and got it back with this noise. Was blaming her for running over something.
Still her fault
LOL I agree
      06-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #292
glockperfect
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehwang
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinM3 View Post
Go to each wheel.. Behind your rotors is a metal backing plate. Push/Jiggle it a bit and you'll get some pebbles to fall out that got flung in there. It eliminated all the noise for me.
I haven't heard mine in at least a month, but I doubt it's completely resolved. I can report that low-speed ebrake stops didn't fix anything.
      06-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #293
Galt?
Shrug
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3, AW/FR, ZCP

I fail to see how having more cowbell is a problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #294
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3

Garage List
Guys, this may help... not really a solution but thought I would add my experience with the cowbell noise. I am becoming a believer of the rock in the brake shield theory.

I was getting this noise consistently every week, it was driving me crazy. Tried several times to let the dealer hear it. Never could replicate at the dealer. Then, for no other reason just to get out on the highway in the M3, I noticed the noise went away. My old routine was driving back and forth to work on back roads, never really getting over 60mph. Some of these roads had good opportunities to pick up rocks. I changed my routine to go back to work from lunch on the highway. I haven't had the cowbell noise for months now...

Is this a solution? I don't know. However, it supports the theory that something gets lodged in that brake shield and the highway driving gives it a chance to let loose. I'd be curious to know if there is a correlation between a lot of city driving and the cowbell. Again, I am not saying this is the solution to the problem, just sharing my experience with it. I went from consistent cowbell to no cowbell and I never really did the whole poke on the brake shield thing, I just kept driving it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #295
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My dealership just diagnosed it as a problem with the parking brake. The spring causes the noise, and resetting, adjusting and lubricating will stop the st
light binding at very low speeds as well.
      06-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #296
ParisF3
PARISF3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

I have the exact same issue with my car comes and goes, it is very loud and annoying, sounds like I am driving a beater... lol sounds just like the vid.

Every time I drive it to the dealer, the noise absolutely goes away EVERY SINGLE time!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #297
nickdrivesm3
Motorsport Product Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs...duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehwang View Post
This is the fix, its just the backing plate for the rear rotor hitting the wheel hub.

When customer's would complain about this I would stick a long screw driver through the wheel spokes and just push the backing plate away from the rotor. It would eliminate the noise 99% of the time.

My theory on why this noise occurs is from heat that the brakes produce causes the backing plate to expand which then touches the wheel hub.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:56 AM   #298
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosholoza View Post
My dealership just diagnosed it as a problem with the parking brake. The spring causes the noise, and resetting, adjusting and lubricating will stop the st
light binding at very low speeds as well.
I think this is my problem. I have jiggled the hub covers and no pebbles are coming out and it sounds more like a spring now on mine. I think the problem is there are 2 or more things that cause a similar sound causing confusion.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #299
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
This is the fix, its just the backing plate for the rear rotor hitting the wheel hub.

When customer's would complain about this I would stick a long screw driver through the wheel spokes and just push the backing plate away from the rotor. It would eliminate the noise 99% of the time.

My theory on why this noise occurs is from heat that the brakes produce causes the backing plate to expand which then touches the wheel hub.
Can this pinging sound also happen on the front?

I have had this "cowbell" noise happen the last few weeks. And it always seems to happen when slowing near a cafe or bus stop.
Going home tonight I drove past a restaurant with people eating outside. I actually heard a woman say" what's that noise?" Then a man replied" its coming from a car.......that M3!"
I drove right back to work ( car dealership) and put my car up on an alignment rack. I thought Iddidn't install my new muffler properly but didn't find anything. Dust shield contacting the rotor makes sense.

I'm going to push back ALL rotor dust shields a bit and see what happens.

It just seems unlikely that so many M3 owners are just getting rocks stuck on their dust shields.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #300
ckyw113
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E93 LeMans

I have the same issue... going to the dealership in a couple days...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #301
nickdrivesm3
Motorsport Product Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs...duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414hpbabyshuttle View Post
Can this pinging sound also happen on the front?

I have had this "cowbell" noise happen the last few weeks. And it always seems to happen when slowing near a cafe or bus stop.
Going home tonight I drove past a restaurant with people eating outside. I actually heard a woman say" what's that noise?" Then a man replied" its coming from a car.......that M3!"
I drove right back to work ( car dealership) and put my car up on an alignment rack. I thought Iddidn't install my new muffler properly but didn't find anything. Dust shield contacting the rotor makes sense.

I'm going to push back ALL rotor dust shields a bit and see what happens.

It just seems unlikely that so many M3 owners are just getting rocks stuck on their dust shields.
I've never seen this happen in the front. With regard to pushing the rear backing plates backwards, it will help a lot but most likely will not completely eliminate the problem. I see this happen to almost every E9X M3 at my local AutoX and people just seem to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #302
medsi
stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Yes this happens to me as well after I AutoX. I've found that driving the car in reverse for 10-15 ft usually clears the rocks from my shield.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #303
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep

my SA said it could be the diff fluid and he replaced it. Seems to have fixed the noise for now at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #304
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

More Cow Bell...........

Last week it started for me. I just pulled my ebrake up halfway and drove slowly through parking lot.

So far No More Cow Bell....................
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #305
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I pushed in my rear rotor shields and I have not heard the "cow bell" sound for the last couple weeks. I didn't even remove the wheels. I just pushed through the spokes.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #306
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
So...

I've had this sound in two situations.

1. I was using lugs that were too long and were hitting my E-Brake inside the rear drum.

2. Rock in between my dust shield and rotor.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #307
rngrjag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post

This....works.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #308
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

I had an exhaust installed on my car 2 weeks ago.

I heard the cowbell noise for the first time last night when my car was semi-cold (starting up after sitting for 3 hours). Heard only in the parking lot stopped and at low speed. I believe at high speed, I just couldnt hear it anymore. It was a hollow pinging. I get pinging when I shut off the car and I've learned that is normal as the brakes are cooling off. However, this pinging was unusually hollow. It did seem like it was heat or heat expansion related (total guess).

I didn't hear it this morning when starting up my car.

Could it be related to how the exhaust was installed? Someone mentioned that the exhaust could be touching the heat shield in parts. Should I take it in to get looked at?

My car has 50k and I never heard this sound until last night.
Appreciate 0