BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Results are in...it is official....

Quote:
According to a new study, women take longer to park their vehicles, but for all their extra time sizing up their parking spots, it doesn't result in better parking accuracy.
Okay, I admit: I'm walking into some pretty tall grass, here. But, when I found out that the PhD in charge of the study was a woman, it made me feel better somehow. Dr. Claudia Wolf, thank you for your honesty.
Dr. Wolf's study, conducted through her employer, Germany's Ruhr University, noted that men were quicker to get their car in the parking spot and generally more aligned with the parking lines. She was quoted as saying that the results confirmed previous studies that men have shown superiority with spatial awareness and coordination.
The actual study sounds pretty interesting. Around five dozen men and women were given an Audi A6 sedan to park in a space in Germany (where, on average, the spaces a slightly smaller than they are in the U.S.) from three different approaches: parallel parking, head-on and reverse.
The results were timed and rated for accuracy. When the results came in, they showed women take about 20 seconds more time to park their vehicle but are less likely to be accurate as a result.

Dr. Wolf told the UK's Daily Telegraph that the results are about parking, not a definitive end-all statement about the superiority of one sex over another.

"It is not as if there was a massive failing by women," Dr. Wolf told The Telegraph. "It is just about parking - not the triumph of men over women."
http://autos.aol.com/article/men-women-parking

Now if only they would do a study regarding car accidents...my hypothesis is Women cause and are in more fender benders while men cause and are in more speed-related fatal accidents
      01-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
I failed parallel parking when I was 16.
The guy was finally just like, OK, let's move on.
To this day I still can't do it.
      01-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Parallel parking is actually pretty difficult, the few times I've had to do it it has taken me longer than it should have...but I still managed to do it without hitting anything
      01-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I actually make hella money teaching people how to parallel park. 5 bucks a lesson.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Luckily, the results are only valid for Audi.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
D.yi
Major
Rep
Drives: SB e92 335i

i didnt need PHD research to know this.
      01-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.yi View Post
i didnt need PHD research to know this.

troof!

i am proud of my parking and driving abilities
      01-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I don't see how it's so hard to parallel park. There are certain guidelines to it such as where to line up before you back up but then again, I park in LA so I guess I'm used to parking it that way in small spaces.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
I don't see how it's so hard to parallel park. There are certain guidelines to it such as where to line up before you back up but then again, I park in LA so I guess I'm used to parking it that way in small spaces.
In Florida the DMV does not require and driving schools dont teach how to parallel park...so when you never learned and it has been 10 years since your last attempt; it is difficult
      01-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

It's incumbent on the teenagers' parents to teach this skill, among other things(that's a WHOLE other topic).
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Have you seen this?

Quote:
Pink women only carpark

(UKPA) – 2 days ago

A pink car park with wider spaces was built for women to use when they visit a Chinese shopping centre.

The Shijiazhuang city facility is designed to appeal to women's "strong sense of colour and different sense of distance", according to a supermarket spokesman.

The parking bays are 3ft wider than standard ones and female parking attendants have been trained to guide drivers into their spaces.
"Different sense of distance" was the best cover up line ever. Driving in China is notoriously dangerous, with nearly 73,500 people killed in road accidents last year, or just over 200 fatalities per day, according to police statistics.

They also hope to reduce parking accidents/dints/scrapes ect by moving the women to this parking lot. Im sure this is a step backwards for women but if it works it works.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0