BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-31-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)

Lightbulb Alternatives to FI, The future of BMW and M.

With the recent reveal of BMW's intentions for the future of the brand we should be excited, BMW will finally return to what made their cars great in the first place, lighweight, razors edge handeling and feel and with the M's an ear splitting NA engine. But it seems BMW wants to cut the size of its M motors and add turbos. While I would love to have a small car powered by a small but ballsy engine I always loved BMW because they didnt follow the crowd (which mostly use forced induction for hi-po variants). For some reason BMW doesnt realize it but they have more options open for the next batch of M cars; the start they could add direct injection, which is proven to increase hp and mpg. but there is another technology in the works at other companies, Lotus and Bosch are collaberating to create a direct injection, NA, 6 valve per cylinder engine for its next elise-ish car, apparently this engine get near 40 mpg and 300+ HP!!! this is another option for BMW. The next option is already there, take a note from F1, now I know that F1 engines are not very eco consious but drop the RPM down a few thousand, cut the power back a few hundred and you could easily end up with a 2.4 L V8 with over 500 HP and damn near 30 mpg. So what do you think? plausable? possible?

oh BMW if your reading this, take notes, get creative, dont follow the crowd.

Appreciate 0