BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

09-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
You could buy a new one of these, turbo it, and still be in a faster better place ( performance wise ) vs a e92 single turbo. Cheaper too. Granted you loose the BMW badge but it looks like alot of newer car engines are being made boost friendly.

I was not even a fan of this car and thought it was useless until i saw this video..
I think from a handling/balance perspective you'd certainly be in a better place, but even with its light weight, 350rwhp still isn't comparable to 650rwhp, and neither are 11 second runs to 10 second runs. Still, it's great to see this other platform taking off so quickly. They sure are sharp looking (both the Sub and Scion versions.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
I think from a handling/balance perspective you'd certainly be in a better place, but even with its light weight, 350rwhp still isn't comparable to 650rwhp, and neither are 11 second runs to 10 second runs. Still, it's great to see this other platform taking off so quickly. They sure are sharp looking (both the Sub and Scion versions.
How many e9x 335s have done 11.2 or less, much less trapped 127+?

Whats truly amazing is that in 6 months of development time they are reaching similar levels of performance that has taken our platform 5 years to get to.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Does anyone know if Subaru or Scion provided tuners pre-production models specifically for the development of after-market forced induction systems. Ford did this with older SVT models so they didn't have to spend money on development or warranty the parts, yet they would be able to see whether the setup would work and work reliably. That may explain why they are making big power already.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
Does anyone know if Subaru or Scion provided tuners pre-production models specifically for the development of after-market forced induction systems. Ford did this with older SVT models so they didn't have to spend money on development or warranty the parts, yet they would be able to see whether the setup would work and work reliably. That may explain why they are making big power already.
Scion didnt really give any cars out early aside from a small handful, but none dide anythign with turbo kits that i know of. The tuners just bought them early on and started messing with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #27
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Toyota/Subaru engineers said they want to focus on the balance and steering of the car first because those are hard area for owners/tuners to adjust once the car is designed and manufactured. One can only compensate for initial design so much in those area but you can always get power later
      09-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #28
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
A motor that's built for turbo vs one that isn't? Not sure your point.
His point is don't knock on something without giving it a chance first. That was quite obvious what he meant.
      09-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #29
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxis View Post
How many e9x 335s have done 11.2 or less, much less trapped 127+?

Whats truly amazing is that in 6 months of development time they are reaching similar levels of performance that has taken our platform 5 years to get to.
I'd imagine the N54 is a vastly more complicated engine being controlled by much more sophisticated controls. That's not to say that what drives the BRZ is simple. But look at the markets that follow the cars as well. I'd fully expect much more R&D in a shorter time frame into a car that's 1/3 the cost of a 335i new, because there is probably going to be 3x as many of them on the market in the longer run.

Aftermarket development, especially quick development, has always followed cheap power. Look at the Mustang and LS market. Some of the cheapest power you can get AND some of the biggest variety in aftermarket parts. Heck, one company had a blower for the new 5.0 Coyote motor out within like 2 months of the 2011 Mustang being out.

The fact that there aren't a ton of 335i's in the low 11's doesn't negate the fact that there is a wide gap between a car running low 11's and even high 10's.

I'm not, by any means, diminishing the awesomeness of this development for the BRZ, but in the same token I don't think it's yet in the same league to be viewed as a replacement for what a 650rwhp 335i can deliver. It's quite possible that in another 6 months they'll be there. Just have to wait and see I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #30
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
His point is don't knock on something without giving it a chance first.
By that logic, you should go ahead and try gay sex. Don't knock it until you try it

I think it goes without saying that spending 6K on a turbo kit and then blowing your engine would be a pretty costly experiment.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #31
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

I knew this engine would be capable. Heck, do a low compression build and see where that gets you. Subaru themselves has already turbocharged the FA20 and has resulted in great power gains and nearly twice the torque it had NA. For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...e-fa20-engine/

If money wasn't an issue, I'd drop in an EJ25 Cosworth longblock, GT35R and an STi gearbox. This chassis is more than capable of handling that power. The engine bay is plenty large for that, heck it's already accommodated a 4U-GSE from an IS-F and a 2JZ-GTE from a Supra. I've heard people want to drop LS1s into this tiny thing This car, as I said in the past, is merely a platform for modifications. The engine may be lackluster, but apparently there is huge potential to be had. Looking forward to what tuners do to this car.
      09-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #32
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Quote:
His point is don't knock on something without giving it a chance first. That was quite obvious what he meant.
Thanks puppet. I guess we'll see
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #33
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the motor in your own car was never meant for boost but is very successful when boosted to say the very least. Not sure your point.
      09-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #34
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I'm pretty sure the motor in your own car was never meant for boost but is very successful when boosted to say the very least. Not sure your point.
Not sure his point either. Anyways, i am impressed and look forward to seeing what these things could do!
      09-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #35
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421
Quote:
Other than maybe our low psi builds, boosting an 11.5:1 $25k motor on stock internals (despite how well the S54 is built) is not ideal. Slap a turbo with huge psi on a stock N/A Scion to attain 350rwhp... Get the popcorn. It's just a matter of time.
When they come out with their 'STI' version down the road, built for a turbo (like an N54)... Different story. That's my point
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #36
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgthis View Post
I knew this engine would be capable. Heck, do a low compression build and see where that gets you. Subaru themselves has already turbocharged the FA20 and has resulted in great power gains and nearly twice the torque it had NA. For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...e-fa20-engine/

If money wasn't an issue, I'd drop in an EJ25 Cosworth longblock, GT35R and an STi gearbox. This chassis is more than capable of handling that power. The engine bay is plenty large for that, heck it's already accommodated a 4U-GSE from an IS-F and a 2JZ-GTE from a Supra. I've heard people want to drop LS1s into this tiny thing This car, as I said in the past, is merely a platform for modifications. The engine may be lackluster, but apparently there is huge potential to be had. Looking forward to what tuners do to this car.

drop a head/cam/intake/header ls7 in this thing and lets really start kicking some ass.

seen a few on the road, I think they look good.
      09-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Toyota is already offering a supercharger kit for the FR-S.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

P&L Motorsports BRZ/FRS Turbo kit. New HP Numbers 428WHP/331TQ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New numbers with 17psi of boost.

428 WHP/ 331WTQ

Still stock motor and still stock "AUTO" trans.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #39
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
P&L Motorsports BRZ/FRS Turbo kit. New HP Numbers 428WHP/331TQ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New numbers with 17psi of boost.

428 WHP/ 331WTQ

Still stock motor and still stock "AUTO" trans.

wtf..this platform evolved faster then anything i've ever seen. Damn... If it wasn't for my love of the BMW badge i would pick one of these up.
      09-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #40
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

I think a pushrod V8 in an FR-S is just wrong. Call me a purist or whatever you want but to me a 1J/2J, VQ, or even a built 1U.
      09-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #41
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I think a pushrod V8 in an FR-S is just wrong. Call me a purist or whatever you want but to me a 1J/2J, VQ, or even a built 1U.
A 1UZFE is not a bad idea at all. Comes in lighter than a 2JZ, can be mounted further back in the engine bay, and is cheaper. Now it can't have the 2JZs power capabilities, but these engines have been receptive to mods. I'm sure when the BRZ/FRS owners warranties run out, we will see more ridiculous swaps. Exciting stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #42
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
A 1UZFE is not a bad idea at all. Comes in lighter than a 2JZ, can be mounted further back in the engine bay, and is cheaper. Now it can't have the 2JZs power capabilities, but these engines have been receptive to mods. I'm sure when the BRZ/FRS owners warranties run out, we will see more ridiculous swaps. Exciting stuff.
There are already a number of swaps, like the EJ25, 2JZ and 2UR, the V8 from the IS-F. But IMO it is not very good to swap anything more than a V6 or F6. The current en is an F4, so it is very short. Don't know if the Chassis was built with longer engines in mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #43
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
By that logic, you should go ahead and try gay sex. Don't knock it until you try it

I think it goes without saying that spending 6K on a turbo kit and then blowing your engine would be a pretty costly experiment.
You are assuming you will blow the engine. No one knew how strong the Supra engine is until people started to experiment with it. Experience is key to life, not money.
      09-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #44
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

With the NA Supras you had to change out the headgasket to obtain a lower compression ratio and that was about it. This engine is a mix of Subaru & Toyota technologies so it's anyone's guess.
Appreciate 0