BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Talking Another GTR thread

These are great times in the motor industry, FI and the death of the manual tranny be damned!

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/2015-nis...170011908.html
      03-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

fast is no longer the criteria of choice when cars are getting overly computer controlled with over 400 hp and the driver no longer involved in driving the car at the limit. Fun through involvement and refinement and looks (not just lap time) will make a comeback at the top of requirements. Unless traffic rules are radically changed , 4WD turbo will invitably get boring unless something else gets invented quick.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
fast is no longer the criteria of choice when cars are getting overly computer controlled with over 400 hp and the driver no longer involved in driving the car at the limit. Fun through involvement and refinement and looks (not just lap time) will make a comeback at the top of requirements. Unless traffic rules are radically changed , 4WD turbo will invitably get boring unless something else gets invented quick.
just like the high revving NA V8?

Nothing boring about a TTV6 when compared to a NA anything
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Cayman, GTR, M235, Boxster S,

Quote:
I have both the M3 and GT-R. Absolutely nothing boring about 4wd. Maybe you just haven't driven them hard enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeed View Post
I have both the M3 and GT-R. Absolutely nothing boring about 4wd. Maybe you just haven't driven them hard enough.
BALLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      03-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber View Post
just like the high revving NA V8?

Nothing boring about a TTV6 when compared to a NA anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeed View Post
Let me take a step back. The GT-R is an awesome car and i would get one before i even touch any american pushrod engine (including stingray and future gen stingray). I do love when technology is at its highest like in the GT-R. I could have looked passed the awkward body and the juvenile computer gaming looking interior but i've heard so many times that the car is not involving from Chris Harris and many others. It's too easy for even a beginner to drive a GT-R really fast and the reason is because the computer is overriding a whole lot of the driver's inputs. You never approach the limit linearly like in a 8,300 RPM NA V8 or a 3.8l I6 PGT3 as the computer interferes by a huge amount between the throttle pedal and what torque actually gets to the wheels. The computer is driving the GT-R while you merely give indication of a direction and it somehow goes that way. It's a different kind of thrill, mostly from the brutal torque in straights and coming out of turns not the kind of rewarding and exhilarating thrill you get from feeling one with a car and knowing exactly when you approach the limit and dancing around that like an experienced pilot wants. That is why the GT-R is correctly named a brute or godzilla. It's similar to a ride at the fair where you get pushed in your seat but you're controlling nothing. Is it fun ? Yes but that kind of fun gets old. While being in control never gets old if the car is capable like the M3 or GT3 are.

I actually chose between a GT-R and new M3 and got the latter. The above and the lack of a manual transmission in the GT-R guided my decision.

I read the 2015 GT-R with Nismo package will be priced at $150,000. That is disappointing, they should have kept the price low and included all the performance parts in the base price. There will be a 'regular' GT-R and a N-GTR. Who wants to own a regular version of the same car when you already paying $100k. Bad move Nissan.

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 03-18-2014 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Let me take a step back. The GT-R is an awesome car and i would get one before i even touch any american pushrod engine (including stingray and future gen stingray). I do love when technology is at its highest like in the GT-R. I could have looked passed the awkward body and the juvenile computer gaming looking interior but i've heard so many times that the car is not involving from Chris Harris and many others. It's too easy for even a beginner to drive a GT-R really fast and the reason is because the computer is overriding a whole lot of the driver's inputs. You never approach the limit linearly like in a 8,300 RPM NA V8 or a 3.8l I6 PGT3 as the computer interferes by a huge amount between the throttle pedal and what torque actually gets to the wheels. The computer is driving the GT-R while you merely give indication of a direction and it somehow goes that way. It's a different kind of thrill, mostly from the brutal torque in straights and coming out of turns not the kind of rewarding and exhilarating thrill you get from feeling one with a car and knowing exactly when you approach the limit and dancing around that like an experienced pilot wants. That is why the GT-R is correctly named a brute or godzilla. It's similar to a ride at the fair where you get pushed in your seat but you're controlling nothing. Is it fun ? Yes but that kind of fun gets old. While being in control never gets old if the car is capable like the M3 or GT3 are.

I actually chose between a GT-R and new M3 and got the latter. The above and the lack of a manual transmission in the GT-R guided my decision.

I read the 2015 GT-R with Nismo package will be priced at $150,000. That is disappointing, they should have kept the price low and included all the performance parts in the base price. There will be a 'regular' GT-R and a N-GTR. Who wants to own a regular version of the same car when you already paying $100k. Bad move Nissan.
have you ever driven a GTR even remotely close to the limits with all nannies turned off? after reading your above post I highly doubt it

btw your M3 and every other modern supercar has all of the same nannies the GTR does

as for the nismo, they are sold out everywhere before release. obviously 150k was a fair price for them
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber View Post
have you ever driven a GTR even remotely close to the limits with all nannies turned off? after reading your above post I highly doubt it

btw your M3 and every other modern supercar has all of the same nannies the GTR does

as for the nismo, they are sold out everywhere before release. obviously 150k was a fair price for them
Naa just fanboys with money. Just like no E92 was worth 100k but some paid it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Naa just fanboys with money. Just like no E92 was worth 100k but some paid it..
Fanboys with money? So what do you call those who spend over $200k on a 911 Turbo S that is still slower than the base GT-R? $150k is still not bad given that this Nismo will be faster than anything else this side of million dollar hypercars.

As for those E92 M3, they're not worth $100k because they are mechanically identical to the $70k base model. All those fanboys got for their money was useless crap like individual paint this, custom stitiching that, a few stickers here and there, maybe some racing stripes, and that's it. The Nismo is more like an M3 GTS. It has a lot of mechanical and tuning upgrades for more track performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Fanboys with money? So what do you call those who spend over $200k on a 911 Turbo S that is still slower than the base GT-R? $150k is still not bad given that this Nismo will be faster than anything else this side of million dollar hypercars.
A Porsche at least looks exotic but I don't think its worth the money either. For the record I don't think any car is worth over 100k. That's just me.

I love how worked up GT-R people get tho.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
A Porsche at least looks exotic but I don't think its worth the money either. I love how worked up GT-R people get tho.
A porsche 911 hardly looks exotic. 99% of the people on the street cannot tell the difference between a brand new $200k Turbo S and a $30k 15 year old Carrera.

Besides, you still have to look at the economies of scale. The GTR is a bespoke supercar with limited production numbers. Despite that, Nissan dumps a shitload of money into R&D and track testing and development every single year. Every single year the GTR has been in production Nissan gave it significant performance upgrades over the previous years. Nissan actually loses money on the GTR project, even at $150k price for the Nismo.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A porsche 911 hardly looks exotic. 99% of the people on the street cannot tell the difference between a brand new $200k Turbo S and a $30k 15 year old Carrera.

Besides, you still have to look at the economies of scale. The GTR is a bespoke supercar with limited production numbers. Despite that, Nissan dumps a shitload of money into R&D and track testing and development every single year. Every single year the GTR has been in production Nissan gave it significant performance upgrades over the previous years. Nissan actually loses money on the GTR project, even at $150k price for the Nismo.
The GTR is just ugly tho. I know that's subjective but I think they are just flat out hideous. And yes I have driven many in person so I'm not just talking about seeing them on the internet. I know performance wise they are unmatched.

You think 99% of people on the street will be able to tell the difference between a 2009 GT-R base and a 2014 premium? Or even the Nismo? Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

AWD supercars like the GT-R can be very involving to drive.

Sure, anyone can jump in and drive fast but to truly get the most out of the car, you need to be experienced and it takes a lot of practice to be truly fast. Just because the AWD lets you get on the throttle a little earlier than a RWD car coming out of corners, that doesn't mean it defies physics - it still takes a good driver to get the most out of it.

I like having a manual transmission to row and a simplified drive train but the GT-R is not the "video game" car that people makes it out to be. It is involving, thrilling to drive and takes real skill to get a good lap time. It is not "raw" like a GT3 but it offers its own challenges.
      03-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

The GTR is a remarkable car, however in my opinion it lacks in the interior, and lacks in offering a manual transmission, other than that its an amazing machine.
      03-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #15
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Where do you get that that the new Turbo S is slower than the base GTR? Every test I've seen has the Porsche quicker, including head to head races. It has more horsepower, more torque and it's lighter than a GTR. Sure it's in another price category, but it's one of the fastest cars out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:21 AM   #16
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Owner View Post
The GTR is a remarkable car, however in my opinion it lacks in the interior, and lacks in offering a manual transmission, other than that its an amazing machine.
The GT-R is a remarkable car, and I agree about the interior. However, Im used to low rent interiors like the M3 and GT-R
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #17
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

The GT-R is an awesome car with minor faults which I can certainly overlook. As for the looks, I personally think it look great. Comparing it to a ride at the fair is really hilarious.

I always enjoyed Chris Harris reviews, however, I was under the impression that he loved the GT-R, especially the part where he states that everyone who loves driving should be prescribed a GT-R for a few days a year. Maybe you should try it.

BTW, I wish the C7 vette was available in South Africa. I would buy the Zo6 in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #18
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
The GTR is just ugly tho. I know that's subjective but I think they are just flat out hideous. And yes I have driven many in person so I'm not just talking about seeing them on the internet. I know performance wise they are unmatched.

You think 99% of people on the street will be able to tell the difference between a 2009 GT-R base and a 2014 premium? Or even the Nismo? Probably not.
To each his own. I agree that most couldn't tell the difference between a 2009 base and 2014 premium. I'm equally convinced that most couldn't tell the difference between a lowly 320i and an e90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:34 AM   #19
valen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG E92 M3

I would buy a GT-R in a second if I had the extra dough lying around. And, park it next to my E92 and love them equally but for completely different reasons. The GT-R is an amazing piece of engineering for the price, cheap interior aside. Saying it drives for you is over simplifying the technology that keeps someones Mom from slamming into a guard rail when she tests drives her sons new toy at 100+.

You really would be limiting yourself if you left the nannies on either of these cars. I drive in M mode at all times and the same would be true if I owned a GT-R. Remove most of the nannies and then you'll understand why it's called Godzilla. It has nothing to do with an amusement park ride.

Add the Nismo package and OMFG!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

I think there is truth to the GT-R not having manual as some folks just like that level of control for shifting. I can't fault you on that.

I would encourage you to if possible drive a GT-R even in R mode (with nannies turned half off) and you will see it's not just another AWD Turbo car. GT-R can get easily sideways quickly, in R mode even, let alone in VDC OFF mode.

Having owned E92 M3, LCI C63 AMG and the GT-R, I can say M3's balance was awesome... slight understeer but overall great balance in corner entry and exit and I actually loved the fact that my M3 did not have lots of torque... made it easier to exit corners than the C63.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #21
Antiplod
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 and Nissan GTR

Like Unabomber I run both an M3 and a GTR (I did a brief review of both in the "2015 m3 or 2015 GTR" forum post if you're interested). Those who go on about computers doing everything in the GTR and it not being involving have obviously never driven one. I can tell you now the GTR makes the hairs on your neck stand up and makes the M3 (which I think is also a very good car) feel quite sedate.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #22
6underpressure
Private First Class
Rep

Having trouble pasting the URL but any one see tx2k14 day 2 highlights "No such thing as a fast gtr". Lol
Appreciate 0