BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #23
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Had it happen one time. My eyes were fully open and I was on my back with my arms at my side. It felt like something was on top of me pressing down and making it hard to breathe. My eyes could move and look around the room but that was it. I just sat there and kept telling myself "move your arm, move your arm" and finally I was able to get a little movement and snapped out of it. It's definitely a freaky feeling.
      11-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:
Originally Posted by leJUNd View Post
sleep paralysis can be frightening at first but if you can learn to control it you can have lucid dream.
I was gonna say.. the next thread about sleeping will be lucid dreams.

I don't think sleep paralysis is any type of illness. But I somewhat recall that it may be related to nightmares or stress. Your consciousness returns too quickly for your body to wake up.

I remember I had a lot of these when I was actually training and trying to lucid dream a long while ago. There're certain techniques to master this, but it requires patience. I have a few friends who can lucid dream basically every time they dream, which is several times a night, but they got to this point after 2-3 years of practice.

I did maybe 5-6 times, but the side effect of sleep paralysis got old on me.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84 View Post
I experienced this maybe about 10 times in my life. Mostly happened when I was tired as hell and just passed out. Freaks the hell out of me. I can hear all the noises around me, but it just seems every noise is amplified, and I do feel a weird presence. I just keep my eyes shut because I hate seeing freaky things. I heard from doctors that hallucination is completely normal during sleep paralysis. I try to get out of it as soon as possible. Instead of trying to move larger parts of your body, I find wiggling your fingers and toes work the best and I can usually get out of it within a couple of minutes. But then if I fall back asleep right away, I again go into sleep paralysis, so I try to stay up about 5 minutes before going back to sleep.
Me too... which is why I don't think it's entirely scientific, but that's another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I now suffer from this terrifying condition at least once a week.

Used to happen once a year (if that) . . .
Oh my. Do you know why so often now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Had it happen one time. My eyes were fully open and I was on my back with my arms at my side. It felt like something was on top of me pressing down and making it hard to breathe. My eyes could move and look around the room but that was it. I just sat there and kept telling myself "move your arm, move your arm" and finally I was able to get a little movement and snapped out of it. It's definitely a freaky feeling.
Once again, seems more than just science. I for one know that spirits are real based on nuermous experiences and this has to somehow coincide.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
Rookie84
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Chevy Caprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Me too... which is why I don't think it's entirely scientific, but that's another topic.

Oh my. Do you know why so often now?

Once again, seems more than just science. I for one know that spirits are real based on nuermous experiences and this has to somehow coincide.
Science does explain the weird presence people feel during sleep paralysis. Like I have mentioned in my previous post, hallucination is completely normal during sleep paralysis. Most people just freak out that they cannot move while all of their senses are awake which ends up in hallucinating bad things.

Anyway, just wiggle your fingers and toes to get out of it. Works like a charm every time.
Appreciate 0