BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
dnbosiris
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M3 E92 6MT

AGM vs Non-AGM Battery help

Hi all
The situation is that I purchased a later 07 M3 Coupe recently. the car doesn't get started during the week while i'm at work, and it's been cold where I live so on the last two occasions of starting the car I noticed that (a) it seemed a bit harder to start and (b) that the clock and trip meter had reset themselves. I immediately suspect a battery issue and when I looked at the build date of the battery I saw it was the original as it had '36/07' printed on it (2007, week 36). see pic.

Not knowing anything about batteries i went and bought an aftermarket battery that I was told was for my car. it fit perfectly, I changed it over and registered the new battery using Carly for BMW app. Car starts fine, no error messages. All is well, right?

Since doing that i've been doing some research and I have learnt two things:

1) the factory battery was an AGM type
2) the battery I replaced it with is NOT an AGM type.

My question is quite specific. What I want to know is, by changing to a non-AGM type battery in my M3 and registering it with Carly, is this going to cause any long term damage? Or should I immediately ditch the battery and replace it with an AGM one? I can find lots of info on google about people going from non-AGM to AGM but i can't find anything about people going the other way, and it seems generally not recommended. but why?
I know that new batteries need to be registered, is this Carly battery registration process sufficient in this case?

thanks in advance...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbosiris View Post
Hi all
The situation is that I purchased a later 07 M3 Coupe recently. the car doesn't get started during the week while i'm at work, and it's been cold where I live so on the last two occasions of starting the car I noticed that (a) it seemed a bit harder to start and (b) that the clock and trip meter had reset themselves. I immediately suspect a battery issue and when I looked at the build date of the battery I saw it was the original as it had '36/07' printed on it (2007, week 36). see pic.

Not knowing anything about batteries i went and bought an aftermarket battery that I was told was for my car. it fit perfectly, I changed it over and registered the new battery using Carly for BMW app. Car starts fine, no error messages. All is well, right?

Since doing that i've been doing some research and I have learnt two things:

1) the factory battery was an AGM type
2) the battery I replaced it with is NOT an AGM type.

My question is quite specific. What I want to know is, by changing to a non-AGM type battery in my M3 and registering it with Carly, is this going to cause any long term damage? Or should I immediately ditch the battery and replace it with an AGM one? I can find lots of info on google about people going from non-AGM to AGM but i can't find anything about people going the other way, and it seems generally not recommended. but why?
I know that new batteries need to be registered, is this Carly battery registration process sufficient in this case?

thanks in advance...
You say you were told it was for your car?

If you went to like an AutoZone, just go in and say NO this is not for my car!

And ask for a correct battery. Short term I do not believe your car will catch fire (do not quote me), but I believe the issue is with the battery control module on the battery telling the car how much to safely charge the battery and the batteries cold cranking amps etc. in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

You must also vent a non agm battery
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
You must also vent a non agm battery
Correct, this is a big safety item. AGM is just a more resilient battery when it comes to vibration and temperature, too.