BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

04-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #1
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, SG & '89 635 CSi

Newly developed DCT Cooler solution & install+Results

Looks like the moderators 'closed' the above original post title. You can still view it- just copy and paste the above title into search or click here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...highlight=do88
The vendor, Do88 who has been tremendously helpful technically had not been aware of the forum vendor requirements...

Anyway, looks like they are now a forum sponsor which is fantastic!!!! as i have to say their cooling solutions for our cars are really great, as was their customer service.

I have today asked the moderators to re open my original post and thread as you should all have the opportunity to discuss and decide your cooling options on this forum with either Do88, or i can of course help with my experiences and results too.

Cheers, Mark
DCT. Custom Cantrell MS cage. Fire, SCCA, dedicated track. Diffs-online 3.62, diff cooler, MCS 2-ways, SPL arms, TMS solid SF/Diff bushings, RD sway, DO88 Coolers (DCT, RAD, PS, OIL) Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, Hans Recaro, AP Pro 5000R, Cobalt XR2/4 race pads, BBS E88's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, GT4 canards, APR GT250 Wing, CFK Hood, Flossman CFK fenders, BW carbon doors, Dinan R toe links, Mini battery.

Last edited by NRBRNG; 04-29-2016 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: updated link
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Depending on how my cooling system does this summer, I might be picking up one of these.

I am disappointed that the price went up after your original review though...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Depending on how my cooling system does this summer, I might be picking up one of these.

I am disappointed that the price went up after your original review though...
Yeah, that is a bummer. Hard to justify ordering from Europe when CSF has a similar kit for the same or less money.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Yeah, that is a bummer. Hard to justify ordering from Europe when CSF has a similar kit for the same or less money.
I've been reading that the CSF coolers are worse than OEM.

I'm sure okusa and dogbone can share some insight though.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
I've been reading that the CSF coolers are worse than OEM.

I'm sure okusa and dogbone can share some insight though.

I'll repost what we wrote in the track forum chit chat thread. However, spoiler alert: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE CSF UNITS!!!

Below is an overlay from 4/10/16 at Big Willow. The data is highly correlated in that:

-Both cars are trailered to the track
-Both cars are supercharged with the same Vortech unit and have intercoolers.
-Both cars are DCT.
-Both cars have the same EAS-designed misting system that spray the same coolers.
-Both cars have the same splitter and wing
-Both cars have same JRZ suspension
-Both cars have the same AP Racing calipers and pads
-Both cars have AIM Solo DL's tied into the CAN bus
-It was the first session of the day for both cars
-We went out on track together
-We did the same number of warm up laps following each other
-The lap shown in the picture is the first hot lap of the day for both of us after the two warm up laps. (this means the 3rd lap of the day for both cars.)
-Our times were within 1.9 seconds of each other, with the faster time coming from his (the OEM cooled) car which is showing lower temps.
- all hot laps were sub 1:30 (his fastest of 1:27.5, my fastest of 1:29.09 and mine the slowest at 1:29.4)
- the blue lines are from his car (2009) with all OEM cooling units.
- the grey lines are from my car (2011.75) with a CSF radiator, CSF DCT cooler and M24 oil cooler.

The main differences in this situation are that his car is lighter because it's gutted/caged, so that should make it easier on his car. But, his car had grippier tires (newer R1S) vs me with TDs on their 3rd day, so that should make it harder on his car. And he did run 1.9 seconds faster, which should also make it harder on his car because he was pushing higher speeds. So any potential ease on his cooling units from the lighter weight is generally being offset by the fact the tires had more grip and his time was almost 2 seconds faster.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #6
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Interesting okusa. Not sure it's enough data to draw any definitive conclusions from, but interesting nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Where's the data to support the claims made by CSF? That's what I can't find.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Interesting okusa. Not sure it's enough data to draw any definitive conclusions from, but interesting nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.
You're right. You should absolutely buy and install one of their units and then report back to the community. Just make sure you have plenty of before data to compare.

I have tons more data from multiple days. I guess could start a separate thread to post it, but it would be redundant as the results are very consistent in that the OEM units always report 1-2 degrees cooler.

Quote:
Where's the data to support the claims made by CSF? That's what I can't find.
They have no supporting data. Their sole "claim" is that their units are X% "more efficient than OEM."
Appreciate 1