BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Best sports car under $50k

Hey Guys! Don't you love these threads?

Ok I had a E92 M3 (DCT) it was a great experience, then got a C63 and that was a blast. Prior to getting the C63, I really wanted another M3, but this time a 6 speed, however it was terribly difficult to find the exact one I wanted and the C63's torque swept me off my feet.

Now, the C63 is sold and I'm in the market again.

Here are the following two cars at the top of my list:

1. 2017 Camaro SS 1LE - $41,760 (dealer)

2. 2011 E92 M3 (6MT) - AW on black, ZCP, 33K miles, 1 owner, all records, BMW extended warranty 50k or 5/2018, all stock - $39k (private party)

Things I look for:
Must be manual transmission
Great exhaust note
Seats 2 adults and 1 kid
Warranty

Other cars I've thought about, but some might be over budget:
Mustang GT 350
E46 M3
CTS-V wagon
Challenger Hellcat

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 1
bgexpress345.00
      01-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
My choice would be the 2011 M3, but if you are seriously looking at cars like the GT350 and Hellcat, both of which are commanding premiums over MSRP, why not look at a used Porsche 911?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber V8 View Post
Hey Guys! Don't you love these threads?

Ok I had a E92 M3 (DCT) it was a great experience, then got a C63 and that was a blast. Prior to getting the C63, I really wanted another M3, but this time a 6 speed, however it was terribly difficult to find the exact one I wanted and the C63's torque swept me off my feet.

Now, the C63 is sold and I'm in the market again.

Here are the following two cars at the top of my list:

1. 2017 Camaro SS 1LE - $41,760 (dealer)

2. 2011 E92 M3 (6MT) - AW on black, ZCP, 33K miles, 1 owner, all records, BMW extended warranty 50k or 5/2018, all stock - $39k (private party)

Things I look for:
Must be manual transmission
Great exhaust note
Seats 2 adults and 1 kid
Warranty

Other cars I've thought about, but some might be over budget:
Mustang GT 350
E46 M3
CTS-V wagon
Challenger Hellcat

Any thoughts?
No brainer to me -- the M3 by a mile. I'm on my second e92 M3, so I put my money where my mouth is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
My choice would be the 2011 M3, but if you are seriously looking at cars like the GT350 and Hellcat, both of which are commanding premiums over MSRP, why not look at a used Porsche 911?
There are so many 911s on the road, the OP can surely find one within in his budget. A word on the exhaust note, though -- unless we're talking a GT3, the 911 exhaust won't sound nearly as good as the S65 V8. I should know, I've owned several. In fact, even my last Porsche, a GT4, didn't sound as good as my e92 M3s. And I won't even comment on the exhaust note of the new 991.2 911.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
I'd take the E92 out of all the cars you listed as well. The 2011 seems like a clean example of what you're looking for and leaves plenty of room for aftermarket modifications.
      01-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
No brainer to me -- the M3 by a mile. I'm on my second e92 M3, so I put my money where my mouth is.

There are so many 911s on the road, the OP can surely find one within in his budget. A word on the exhaust note, though -- unless we're talking a GT3, the 911 exhaust won't sound nearly as good as the S65 V8. I should know, I've owned several. In fact, even my last Porsche, a GT4, didn't sound as good as my e92 M3s. And I won't even comment on the exhaust note of the new 991.2 911.
He wants one with a warranty, which means a car that is no more than 4 or 5 years old and from a dealer, but your point is well taken. And yes I know that you can purchase 3rd party warranties from a slew of companies, but they may not be worth anything when the time comes to make a claim.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

If you can live with the bad sight lines out of the Camero, it's going to be the best track/autox/dd available now. The GT350s are catching fire too often for my taste. The 1LE is the F-Street King at the moment and cheapest to "tinker" with. But none of them have 4-doors, which I can't live without.
      01-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I noted that those cars are a bit over my budget and would have to be on the used market. Lowest ones I've found are hovering at $52k.

As for the P cars, the only ones that I recall with a GREAT exhaust note has been the GT3 or even more out of reach Carrera GT haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post

This is some sound advice considering your background of ownership. I've been leaning towards the 1LE but you got me thinking...

Quote:
He wants one with a warranty, which means a car that is no more than 4 or 5 years old and from a dealer, but your point is well taken. And yes I know that you can purchase 3rd party warranties from a slew of companies, but they may not be worth anything when the time comes to make a claim.
Yes, I'm one of those rod bearing paranoid guys so as long as the warranty will always cover that, I'm golden. I would plan to by another BMW warranty near the end of the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasuperdude View Post
If you can live with the bad sight lines out of the Camero, it's going to be the best track/autox/dd available now. The GT350s are catching fire too often for my taste. The 1LE is the F-Street King at the moment and cheapest to "tinker" with. But none of them have 4-doors, which I can't live without.
The sight lines are a common overhyped stereotype for the Camaro. It's roughly 2 weeks until you don't notice anymore. Kind of like a movie with sub titles, it's annoying at first but once you get into the story line, you almost forget you're reading.

The main good things about the 1LE is it's track ready out the box, a little bit better MPG, lots of warranty, sounds great. Of course the other argument is the interior, but it's not terrible like previous gens.

Great feedback guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

I just bought an e90 M last month, but for my next one will be exactly the spec of that e92M. AW on Black! Sex on wheels... like another member said, 911 would be the only other way I'd go, if you there is no need for back seat. By the way, I owned a 2003 Boxster S for 5 years and loved every minute of it. I was going to upgrade to 911 but newborn baby and job obligations changed those plans. Good luck.
      01-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
I just bought an e90 M last month, but for my next one will be exactly the spec of that e92M. AW on Black! Sex on wheels... like another member said, 911 would be the only other way I'd go, if you there is no need for back seat. By the way, I owned a 2003 Boxster S for 5 years and loved every minute of it. I was going to upgrade to 911 but newborn baby and job obligations changed those plans. Good luck.
Thank you, I am looking to make a decision this weekend. I've driven both cars and love them both for different reasons so I hate having a good problem like this
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
This will likely get me banned from the site, but the one thing I would NOT do is buy another e9x M3. You've been there, done that. Life is way too short and there are too many great cars out there to keep buying the same thing.

From a performance perspective, the SS 1LE will destroy the e9x M3 around any track you can find. GM really upped their game with the current platform. However, unless all you use the car for is driving around the track, I couldn't live with the interior. It looks cheap and kind of tacky. I also don't like the seating position (same goes for the mustang). I would probably axe all 3 of the pony cars you have on your list based on size and or seating position. If you just want to melt tires in a straight line however, nothing beats the hellcat.

What I would look at is the following (new or used):
C7 z51
C6 z06 (despite the chintsy interior---love that engine!)
Any previous generation CTS-V manual
Viper
997 S
The best cayman you can find (personally, I would try for something above the "S" depending on generation)
F-type (the S model is now available with a manual, but not sure if they are down to $50k yet)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #11
INDCISV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
'best' means something different to everyone. If you had an m3 previously and are back here asking about getting another - I think that says enough. I've enjoyed all 6 months of my M3 ownership thus far and cannot see myself getting rid of this vehicle ever.
      01-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i would need some serious incentive to pick the camaro over the m3 you described. a v-wagon would tempt me, especially since they're so hard to come across these days. the gt350 would also be appealing. otherwise, i feel like it has to hands down be the m3.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber V8 View Post
Thank you, I am looking to make a decision this weekend. I've driven both cars and love them both for different reasons so I hate having a good problem like this
Good problem indeed! If you're leaning towards the Camaro though, you have the Mustang 350 first since Camaro v. Mustang is a classic rivarly! I'm more of a mustang guy. The Camaros are nice but they look so boxy and cramped to me. By the way, before the Porsche I had an 06 e46 M3. That's a very special car too! if you can find an 6MT 06 ZCP Coupe clean and low miles...that's a keeper. I actually looked at them briefly again this time around but it was frustration after frustration so I moved on to the e9X platform. Those things are like finding a needle in the haystack for real!
      01-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #14
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good problem indeed! If you're leaning towards the Camaro though, you have the Mustang 350 first since Camaro v. Mustang is a classic rivarly! I'm more of a mustang guy. The Camaros are nice but they look so boxy and cramped to me. By the way, before the Porsche I had an 06 e46 M3. That's a very special car too! if you can find an 6MT 06 ZCP Coupe clean and low miles...that's a keeper. I actually looked at them briefly again this time around but it was frustration after frustration so I moved on to the e9X platform. Those things are like finding a needle in the haystack for real!
second this. i spent months looking for the right e46 without spending more than i could justify for one. had roughly 5 or so examples that appeared to be the right car and then something would happen about a week before i was supposed to pick it up and it ruined it for me. or one would sell before getting the chance to check it out. similarly, decided to grab my e92 as a result. no complaints, still such an amazing car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #15
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
This will likely get me banned from the site, but the one thing I would NOT do is buy another e9x M3. You've been there, done that. Life is way too short and there are too many great cars out there to keep buying the same thing.

From a performance perspective, the SS 1LE will destroy the e9x M3 around any track you can find. GM really upped their game with the current platform. However, unless all you use the car for is driving around the track, I couldn't live with the interior. It looks cheap and kind of tacky. I also don't like the seating position (same goes for the mustang). I would probably axe all 3 of the pony cars you have on your list based on size and or seating position. If you just want to melt tires in a straight line however, nothing beats the hellcat.

What I would look at is the following (new or used):
C7 z51
C6 z06 (despite the chintsy interior---love that engine!)
Any previous generation CTS-V manual
Viper
997 S
The best cayman you can find (personally, I would try for something above the "S" depending on generation)
F-type (the S model is now available with a manual, but not sure if they are down to $50k yet)
So much truth in the bolded statement! It is a wonderful day and age to be car shopping but it also feels like a curse due to so many great choices.

Now, I'm fully aware the 1LE will annihilate the E9X platform, but us previous and current E9x owners know that's not what the E9x is all about.

I guess I should mention this would be my DD, so can't imagine a Viper being a daily, and vette's are 2 seaters. I'll do some research on a 997 S and yea F type's also don't meet the occupancy requirement.

Thanks for your honest input, don't ban this guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reforM3d View Post
'best' means something different to everyone. If you had an m3 previously and are back here asking about getting another - I think that says enough. I've enjoyed all 6 months of my M3 ownership thus far and cannot see myself getting rid of this vehicle ever.
Yes, 'best' is different for everyone which is why I came here to hear what you guys think and it's great feedback so far. The E92 seems to hold a strong enjoyment factor many years later even with many new better performing options available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furquiza View Post
second this. i spent months looking for the right e46 without spending more than i could justify for one. had roughly 5 or so examples that appeared to be the right car and then something would happen about a week before i was supposed to pick it up and it ruined it for me. or one would sell before getting the chance to check it out. similarly, decided to grab my e92 as a result. no complaints, still such an amazing car.
I cannot tell you how sad I was to find out this IR E46 M3 sold before I could get to it. I would have bought sight unseen:

http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-m...3-6-speed.html
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #16
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by furquiza View Post
Ha! I had so many set backs looking at the e46! I literally almost cried (probably had tears in my eyes) when I missed out on a nice e46 locally. Exact color I wanted (black with cinnamon interior); low miles (82k for an 2002 car); 6MT, and pretty much stock. I was gonna pick it up for a great price. Had the deal done with the guy on Wednesday but I couldn't pick up the car because I was out of state on a work trip and would come back the next day in the morning and planned to pick up the car that night or Friday morning. On Thursday morning, before on my flight back, I get the dreaded text from the guy that someone had literally showed up and gave him premium cash (5k more than me) and he sold it to him on the spot! It took me about 2 weeks to move on lol... after that, I began looking for an e9X. 1st world problems! lol
      01-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #17
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ha! I had so many set backs looking at the e46! I literally almost cried (probably had tears in my eyes) when I missed out on a nice e46 locally. Exact color I wanted (black with cinnamon interior); low miles (82k for an 2002 car); 6MT, and pretty much stock. I was gonna pick it up for a great price. Had the deal done with the guy on Wednesday but I couldn't pick up the car because I was out of state on a work trip and would come back the next day in the morning and planned to pick up the car that night or Friday morning. On Thursday morning, before on my flight back, I get the dreaded text from the guy that someone had literally showed up and gave him premium cash (5k more than me) and he sold it to him on the spot! It took me about 2 weeks to move on lol... after that, I began looking for an e9X. 1st world problems! lol
almost identical to what happened to me in one instance. also had another one optioned how i'd prefer it picked out down in miami, 04 with 70k miles imola red. put my deposit down, booked my flight to drive it back etc. the week before my flight, found out the title was misrepresented and no longer felt comfortable going through with it. a lot of arguing back and forth and eventually got most of my deposit back. that's the one that set me over the edge in my search for an e46. found my e92 only a few hours away. went and bought it that same weekend.

moral of the story OP, if you find the perfect e46 m3, it's either too good to be true or you buy it then and there if it checks out haha. while it'll still be a blast to drive and great car, coming from an e9x and c63 may have lessened the experience of the e46 6cyl motor. for that reason, i'd still point you toward an e92 m3 again or a v-wagon. n/a v8's are a dying breed.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #18
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Chevy SS? You could even pick up a CPO and save even more.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #19
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
Chevy SS? You could even pick up a CPO and save even more.
That's an interesting choice. Don't know much about them
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #20
Cerberus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: econobox

My vote is for a GT350. These are very impressive cars and within your budget.

You have already tried the m3 and c63. Why not try something different and see if you like it? I had a ctsv wagon but was way too heavy. Fun in a straight line.

Also, the mustang is pretty hot, so if you buy it right you shouldn't lose too much if you find it's not for you. It will also have a warranty for 3 years so should be relatively worry free.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #21
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
For under 50k I would shop for the following

M4. You can find a under 50k already
Hellcat Challenger. You can also find a few under 50k
Audi RS5 (Might not be under warrenty also Not sure if you can get manual)
SRT Challenger 35-40k not a hellcat but still 475hp

I would personally stay far away from a camaro
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #22
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
E46 M3. Holds value pretty well, so that's a plus.
Appreciate 0