BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

03-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #45
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
I attended the Taste Of Lexus event in the summer and drove the IS-F and IS350 with F sport accessories. I was very impressed with the IS350..for an OEM add on exhaust, the F sport was LOUD.

They said that they know the IS-F is not the fastest car out there, but it's a fun car to drive.

An interesting thing I noticed on the IS-F forum as well is that the majority of owners bought, as oppose to M owners, who lease.
I went in the morning to that. It was pretty fun. The L-tuned IS350 was a completely different car from the vanilla one.

I am sure whoever buys an IS-F can afford the M3 and the C63 as well. I am pretty sure they don't give a sh*t if their car isn't the fastest either.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #46
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Oh lexus, all I got to say is "TOTAL FAIL!!!"

I mean really, with that price tag, I'd get a better can >_>
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #47
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
HMM.....GEEZE. I WONDER WHY THAT IS(sarcasm).
You won't get an honest answer to that question here, and it's a moot point since most of these bench-racers can't afford the cars being discussed anyway. I say "discussed" but it all really boils down to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nchrac3r
whoa that IS-F is EPIC FAIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanb01
i know, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nchrac3r
yeah! EPIC!
Anyway...

M3/C63/IS-F are all extremely capable machines and in spite of their inherent rivalry they each sell to very different demographics. I myself cross-shopped the M3 extensively but since I was looking for a reliable daily driver for long-term ownership the choice was clear. The fixation on the IS-F by M3 fanbois (as opposed to actual owners) remains a mystery to me. I'm close friends with the owners of an E92 M3 and 135i...of course we're all older so the need for constant dick-measuring just isn't there...

But as long as we're comparing in this price class, the new CTS-V will flat-out destroy either the M3 or IS-F, street or track.

Cue the badge queens...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #48
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
You won't get an honest answer to that question here, and it's a moot point since most of these bench-racers can't afford the cars being discussed anyway. I say "discussed" but it all really boils down to this:

Anyway...

M3/C63/IS-F are all extremely capable machines and in spite of their inherent rivalry they each sell to very different demographics. I myself cross-shopped the M3 extensively but since I was looking for a reliable daily driver for long-term ownership the choice was clear. The fixation on the IS-F by M3 fanbois (as opposed to actual owners) remains a mystery to me. I'm close friends with the owners of an E92 M3 and 135i...of course we're all older so the need for constant dick-measuring just isn't there...

But as long as we're comparing in this price class, the new CTS-V will flat-out destroy either the M3 or IS-F, street or track.

Cue the badge queens...
Incredibly well said.
      03-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #49
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:

Cue the badge queens...

Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya, Kumbaya my Lord Kumbaya
Someone is slow my Lord Kumbaya
The IS-Fail is slow Kumbaya
Why can't we all get along Kumbaya
Oh fake tailpipes Kumbaya
      03-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #50
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post

I am sure whoever buys an IS-F can afford the M3 and the C63 as well. I am pretty sure they don't give a sh*t if their car isn't the fastest either.
+1000000000000000000000

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #51
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya, Kumbaya my Lord Kumbaya
Someone is slow my Lord Kumbaya
The IS-Fail is slow Kumbaya
Why can't we all get along Kumbaya
Oh fake tailpipes Kumbaya
Was this an attempt at humor, or did you run out of ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #52
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
He ran out of ideas. Nothing constructive at all. The tailpipes on the production IS-F are just as fake as the ones on the $120,000 Audi R8. I'll find it after I get back from lunch.
      03-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #53
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Yes almost as comical as the IS-Fail Evo
      03-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #54
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:

Anyway...

Cue the badge queens...
thank you!
      03-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #55
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
:facepalm:
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #56
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Oh yeah, The GTR is faster than all of them.

1,2,3 Go

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #57
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

BTW, you guys take the internet WAY too seriously.... A little fun goes a long way. Just like the ISF could use another 100 hp and a suspension tuning by BMW
      03-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #58
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BTW, you guys take the internet WAY too seriously.... A little fun goes a long way. Just like the ISF could use another 100 hp and a suspension tuning by BMW
oh snap.

no but seriously...its ok powerwise

just needs to drop a few pounds and firm up that suspension
      03-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #59
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Quote:
Minor rathole.... No one really touches the racing heritage of Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren...

But other than the horrible F1 effort and the pushrod V8's in Nascar, where has Toyota participated?? There was a celebrity Celica series in the 1990s.....

BMW DTM and the 1980's F1 efforts stands out....
TTE in WRC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Team_Europe

http://homepage.virgin.net/shalco.com/tte_ban.htm
+1...Celica GT4 FTMFW. one of the greatest rally cars ever built, regardless of chassis iteration.

Quote:
+100...GT One is definitely one of the greatest race cars ever built. of course they only homologated it for road use per the rules and regulations of the particular Le Mans series. but of all "road cars" - or more appropriately, road going race cars - built in limited production runs specifically to meet requirements in order to race in a particular series, i would take the Toyota GT One over all others, including (but not limited to) Porsche's GT1, AMG's CLK-GTR, McLaren's F1 GTR, etc.

...and we haven't yet touched on Toyota's long-time participation and success in the quickest/fastest GT series on this planet - Super GT (formerly known as JGTC).
      03-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #60
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
+1...Celica GT4 FTMFW. one of the greatest rally cars ever built, regardless of chassis iteration.

...and we haven't yet touched on Toyota's long-time participation and success in the quickest/fastest GT series on this planet - Super GT (formerly known as JGTC).
ive always wanted a st205 ....still do...always will
      03-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #61
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

If the IS-F EVO will be any kind of success, it needs to have its pricetag in the area of the current model. Way too much money for (comared to the M3, C63, etc) such little performance
      03-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #62
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

+100...GT One is definitely one of the greatest race cars ever built. of course they only homologated it for road use per the rules and regulations of the particular Le Mans series. but of all "road cars" - or more appropriately, road going race cars - built in limited production runs specifically to meet requirements in order to race in a particular series, i would take the Toyota GT One over all others, including (but not limited to) Porsche's GT1, AMG's CLK-GTR, McLaren's F1 GTR, etc.

I can't really call Super GT grand touring racing (despite the name) because they are essentially prototypes disguised as road cars. This is why "traditional" European cars that are brought over are almost never competitive. A Maserati MC12 (basically unmodified from its racing version) tried qualifying for the series a few years ago, 2006 I think, and was way off the pace of the GT500 cars.

About the GT-One... if you saw the Audi-raping 2003 Bentley EXP Speed 8, I am sure there are similar design characteristics borrowed from Toyota. Everybody was worried about the Toyota GT-One in 1999; too bad it didn't have the reliability of BMW (which was pretty much engineering by Williams). At least it didn't fly like Mercedes did.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #63
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
I believe production is almost done if it isnt done already. Thats why they havent cancelled it. Honda has nixed their NSX. Toyota wont miss this opportunity to upstage again. They will have no problem moving 500. Want to know why? Because they dont make sports cars/super cars often. They arent like Mercedes that have AMG on everything. Or BMW that will now have //M SUV monstrosities. The LF-A is going to have a ridic price tag and many will see it as worth it. Its not coming this year anyway so who cares?

If Japanese fanboys want an //M3 beating coupe, they can look no further than the GT-R. Lets not even talk about the slight update the car get in a few months.(suspension, tires, hp bump) Like I said, their is always something.

BMW just announced their 2008 results and their net profit is down from over 3B Euros to just 330M Euros. So the market is tough for everyone.

Toyota is expected to post a $3B loss for 2008...

It is highly unlikely we are going to see the LF-A....the tech training, warranty and marketing required to launch it couldn't be justified to a bleeding Toyota. The new NSX is also axed.

All kidding aside, this is all bad for car nuts everywhere.
      03-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #64
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
How is the GT One one of the greatest ever built? It never even won any of the big races it was in. It had design flaws which caused them to drop out countless times. Let's get real man. It never came close to matching the dominance of the Audi R8s or the CLK-GTRs. Even a Toyota fanboy can admit that.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #65
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
How is the GT One one of the greatest ever built? It never even won any of the big races it was in. It had design flaws which caused them to drop out countless times. Let's get real man. It never came close to matching the dominance of the Audi R8s or the CLK-GTRs. Even a Toyota fanboy can admit that.
That's because Audi was the only factory team in LMP900/LMP1 until Peugeot joined (forget about Bentley). Nissan had the merger w/ Renault and Porsche was busy preparing the Cayenne. Toyota moved to F1 along w/ BMW.

If you really don't think the GT-One was a hit, you should argue about it over at mulsannescorner.com. The GT-One was meant to conquer Le Mans and it came awfully close in 1999. Which is what Audi is doing w/ the R15.

The CLK-GTR never won at Le Mans... in fact it didn't even race there. The replacement CLK-LM had an unremarkable race. The CLR embarassed Mercedes to the point that they'd never race there again (shades of 1955 I presume)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #66
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's because Audi was the only factory team in LMP900/LMP1 until Peugeot joined (forget about Bentley). Nissan had the merger w/ Renault and Porsche was busy preparing the Cayenne. Toyota moved to F1 along w/ BMW.

If you really don't think the GT-One was a hit, you should argue about it over at mulsannescorner.com. The GT-One was meant to conquer Le Mans and it came awfully close in 1999. Which is what Audi is doing w/ the R15.

The CLK-GTR never won at Le Mans... in fact it didn't even race there. The replacement CLK-LM had an unremarkable race. The CLR embarassed Mercedes to the point that they'd never race there again (shades of 1955 I presume)

The ultimate Lemans conquerers were the Porsche 956 / 962 and the Audi R10. The GT1 looked threatening in pace but it didn't have the longetivity....which is needed in an endurance race