BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

03-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #23
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Even..when this is ..NOT my ///M3 ...i'm getting v v v v v
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe white, DCT, ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE92M3 View Post
Glad everything was resolved. Good to know this when I take mine in for the "1200" mile service. I will make sure to check everything and talk to the service tech before I take it home.
ya alpine be very cautious, i normally am quite paranoid but for some reason i let it slip; moment you get your baby pop the hood and with the service rep check the cap to ensure it is very tight. Before i went for my service around 600miles as a precaution i was just checking the oil cap to see how tight it was.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko View Post
If they "topped off fluids" than it did not get changed. You want to see the proper quantity of each fluid listed on the work order. Also, it should list that it was "changed".

apologies, i was rather exhausted this am (no sleep haha) they did a "final-dive gear oil" i am assuming they changed that. What specifically should I be looking for on this invoice. Upon giving them the car I said explicitly Oil change, 1200 mile service, nav update as per recall.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan23 View Post
What type of buffoons where were working in your car??
that sir is a very good question. I would like to know the answer to that myself haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
it should clearly state replaced diff fluid - service completed etc. and not "topped off", that means squat. typical manhattan BMW, douches.
well shit. I guess I have to go back...which is going to be stupid as HELL. I swear these BASTARDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Even..when this is ..NOT my ///M3 ...i'm getting v v v v v
whenever I read about these posts especially when a silly mistake like this occurs i feel the same way! haha
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If they "topped off fluids" than it did not get changed. You want to see the proper quantity of each fluid listed on the work order. Also, it should list that it was "changed".
from my invoice:

3 83-22-2-282-583 Final Drive Gear Oil
SAF-XJ: 832514

Under the "cause : service due" part of the invoice

i checked with a fellow forum member, he has DCT and that was what was on his invoice too. I think i am good.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #28
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

I will post one of my service receipts tomorrow when I get home. It's not the 1200mi but you will see work order info. Yes your diff oil was probably changed. Unless of course they just listed the parts and never changed it! This is how I think because I don't trust people. That's a whole different thread though.
      03-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #29
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will post one of my service receipts tomorrow when I get home. It's not the 1200mi but you will see work order info. Yes your diff oil was probably changed. Unless of course they just listed the parts and never changed it! This is how I think because I don't trust people. That's a whole different thread though.
much appreciated, and yea, i dont trust ppl either! your not alone on that front!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #30
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

Here is my 15k service. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

03-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #31
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

I too just bought a 2013 JB coupe w/ Comp pack and DCT I just dropped it off this morning for the service. Weird thing tho is that my car was telling me at 800 miles it needed service? anyone else have this? I actually followed the break in guidelines and only hit 5200 rpm about twice.. This thing wants to move so I'm looking forward to getting it back in a couple hours. I just hope I don't have any issues with mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #32
SDSmain
Private
Rep
Drives: ///M / AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
I too just bought a 2013 JB coupe w/ Comp pack and DCT I just dropped it off this morning for the service. Weird thing tho is that my car was telling me at 800 miles it needed service? anyone else have this? I actually followed the break in guidelines and only hit 5200 rpm about twice.. This thing wants to move so I'm looking forward to getting it back in a couple hours. I just hope I don't have any issues with mine.
It's normal. It's just letting you know service is soon. Some people even got theirs serviced at 600 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #33
SDSmain
Private
Rep
Drives: ///M / AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1989 View Post
Hello All,

I am a 2013 M3 owner, and today was my first service for the vehicle it was the 1200 mile service as well as engine oil refill or top off etc. I dropped the car off this morning at 1190-ish miles, got it back with exactly 1200 miles and met with the service rep before he left, he told me the car is in great shape and be ready to enjoy the beat.

Just some background on this: I followed the break in almost to the letter, exceeded 5.5 k rpm about 5-6 times where I was close to 7krpm on two occasions and near 6k rpm on 3-4 occasions ( SO hard to avoid as the engine revs fast and high naturally). Anyhow upon driving back on the west-side highway nearer to chelsea piers ( i live in NYC) I was at a red light when I noticed smoke or steam sort-a say leaving the right vent. I immediately felt my heart pop out of my throat, this steam/smoke lasted 1 second and when I saw it i immediately lowered the gear ratio shifts, and hit the power button off. I continued my drive very cautiously, all seemed normal and the oil temp was no more than 210F, 220F and was well in the norm. I get home and park in the garage, pop the hood as precaution and to my astonishment I see that oil had leaked off of the cap. I checked the cap and it was tight and looked at the cap and noticed the 'o-ring' is missing. I do not know how much oil leaked but when I checked the engine oil level as i was driving and in the garage it was perhaps 1/6 off of the max mark. I really hope that this is not severe, and I will be having these "geniuses" at BMW send a flatbed so they can take my love back and a) clean b) investigate the extent of the spill. I apologies as this is a novel, but I am scared guys/gals and I thought reach out to the M family first. See photos I will be taking more . Thank you all

P.S. one of my friends said it does not look to bad, if it isn't that bad, i ask that you forgive my over-reaction
Could you make a list of what is included in the 1200 Mile service for DCT?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #34
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

You are totally right to get upset. There is a reason why we take the car to BMW for service because we expect perfection and professionalism. If failed to deliver why are we paying so much money for these cars.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #35
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
totally normal; im guessing engine oil? Mine told me somewhere around 920 miles about engine oil. I asked a forum member they said if the level of oil is fine you can do the service with the 1200 mile, thats what i did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmain View Post
It's normal. It's just letting you know service is soon. Some people even got theirs serviced at 600 miles.
SDS is correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmain View Post
Could you make a list of what is included in the 1200 Mile service for DCT?
sure ( i also confirmed with another member who got their DCT 1200 mile run in and also confirmed with manual and service rep)

-oil change, TWS Synthetic oil
-replace oil filter
-BMW Windshield washer fluid (maybe for me, not sure if standard)
-Final-Drive Gear oil (differential fluid from what i have read)

for DCT which is what you and I have, they don't replace transmission fluid as the DCT is supposed to last a "lifetime" (i checked with forum members about this as i was highly paranoid after my incident, and what i have listed is what should be done)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
You are totally right to get upset. There is a reason why we take the car to BMW for service because we expect perfection and professionalism. If failed to deliver why are we paying so much money for these cars.
exactly man, thats what I said. They offered me some detailing service shite I said if I cant watch and see the quality of the wash/detail i am not interested; trying to seek compensation in some other form.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #36
Shoney41
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black

Sorry to hear about your experience. My 1200 mile service is coming up and thanks to your bad experience I will know to check out the engine bay before taking off. Can't be too careful.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #37
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoney41 View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience. My 1200 mile service is coming up and thanks to your bad experience I will know to check out the engine bay before taking off. Can't be too careful.
indeed, go over everything with the rep prior to, and after...also check to ensure the do the various changes; are you DCT or 6speed?

I am just relieved they cleaned the engine well (steam clean w/ detail). There were a few spots of oil under the car after i first got home the week before, and those spots sat there so all this time i was paranoid that despite having the issue resolved perhaps there was still some oil dripping somewhere. Turns out i am overly paranoid; oil takes wicked long to evaporate. Drove fairly well today good milage, good rpms, checked under not a drop. Sad thing is i have yet to hit the high rpms, no clear roads hahah (Fear of polizei too )
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #38
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Mine were minor in comparison (same dealership): they topped up the oil during a wheel alignment, but managed to overfill it....

Similar psychological reaction though , plus need to go back to dealership, and all the fretting.

At least we have cars worth fretting about, all blessed!

Still, I too had hoped that this particular dealership might have more experience with M-cars; apparently not in the oil department..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #39
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Mine were minor in comparison (same dealership): they topped up the oil during a wheel alignment, but managed to overfill it....

Similar psychological reaction though , plus need to go back to dealership, and all the fretting.

At least we have cars worth fretting about, all blessed!

Still, I too had hoped that this particular dealership might have more experience with M-cars; apparently not in the oil department..
i was rather annoyed because the people working on M cars there have to be certified. So i guess in the future when I go im bringing my uber powerful LED light and going to have to do my own inspection before leaving. Sad that I have to pop the food with my service rep and do a walkthrough
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #40
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1989 View Post
i was rather annoyed because the people working on M cars there have to be certified. So i guess in the future when I go im bringing my uber powerful LED light and going to have to do my own inspection before leaving. Sad that I have to pop the food with my service rep and do a walkthrough
Just go to another dealership, isn't there another one reasonably close by?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #41
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Just go to another dealership, isn't there another one reasonably close by?
no i live in the city, closest would be bK, thats a trek
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #42
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Being in Manhattan as well I have been wondering about trying Bayside BMW, out on Long Island. If they give loaners that should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #43
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Being in Manhattan as well I have been wondering about trying Bayside BMW, out on Long Island. If they give loaners that should be fine.
same im also in manhattan. You know what is funny, the flatbed guy who helped me move my car day after this debacle , was telling me during the drive that the ppl at bmw of manhattan are idiots. He said the dealership in long island is the best.
Appreciate 0