BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

08-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Stock Caliper Metal Guide Pins

Folks,

I had used these in my I Stock E36 M3 race car and it had completely eliminated the funny wear associated with caliper flex with the OEM setup. That said, I went to BW's site and realized they do not have this solution for our cars.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerw...e-kit-p46.aspx

Any leads?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Folks,

I had used these in my I Stock E36 M3 race car and it had completely eliminated the funny wear associated with caliper flex with the OEM setup. That said, I went to BW's site and realized they do not have this solution for our cars.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerw...e-kit-p46.aspx

Any leads?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lutfy
i looked at one time and didnt find them for the e90 either not sure why. they have them up until the e46 i believe. i thought there was some sort of issue with running on a street car though as well.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I ran them on my e46 for several years and 50k miles. No problems. I looked into this a few years ago. I believe the e90x calipers only lend themselves to one solid pin per caliper. The other location on each caliper can't be converted for some reason.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
i looked at one time and didnt find them for the e90 either not sure why. they have them up until the e46 i believe. i thought there was some sort of issue with running on a street car though as well.
I used to lube up the pins each time I inserted them (with high temp racing whatever lube was out there so it does not freeze up). Never had an issue.

I clearly believe that with the guide pins (avoid uneven pad wear) and proper NON drilled 2 piece rotors and removing the rear backing plates (with SRF and PF08/Pagids) the stock system can run fine without putting the pads to dust.

Lets see if anyone has experience. Sent a memo to BW as well.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Okay update from Bimmerworld:

"We have them in the works for the E9X M3 cars. Probably a month or two off"

Am excited for next year with the following setup:

1) Brass guide pins to eliminate caliper flex and uneven pad wear
2) Castrol SRF fluid (higher boiling point to eliminate soft pedal as compared to Motul 600 which needs quick bleeds each weekend)
3) PF Direct Drive or Custom Coleman 2 piece rotors to avoid accelerated pad wear and provide greater cooling (vaned rotors).
4) New Pagid RS29 compound (out now for our cars)
5) Removal of dust shield for greater cooling.

Hoping this should solve the 'pads turning to dust' and a softer pedal

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Okay update from Bimmerworld:

"We have them in the works for the E9X M3 cars. Probably a month or two off"

Am excited for next year with the following setup:

1) Brass guide pins to eliminate caliper flex and uneven pad wear
2) Castrol SRF fluid (higher boiling point to eliminate soft pedal as compared to Motul 600 which needs quick bleeds each weekend)
3) PF Direct Drive or Custom Coleman 2 piece rotors to avoid accelerated pad wear and provide greater cooling (vaned rotors).
4) New Pagid RS29 compound (out now for our cars)
5) Removal of dust shield for greater cooling.

Hoping this should solve the 'pads turning to dust' and a softer pedal

Lutfy
Okay so the guide pins are now online for the fronts of our cars (e9x/1M specific front). The rears are regular (all other calipers). Thought I'd report.

This is a go for me as my pads were wearing unevenly plus this adds to a more linear/somewhat tighter feel as there is less flex (not that any one of us can really 'feel' an immense difference).

That said, ordering all of the above to get an optimum stock brake system without burning up pads per weekend and boiling fluid (hopefully).

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Did you ever get any further with the a Coleman rotors? Response over in 1M land was lukewarm...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Did you ever get any further with the a Coleman rotors? Response over in 1M land was lukewarm...
Hey there,

No not really. The PFC Direct Drive are so close to price, I am ordering those with the new V3 (none of the bolts to deal with). When the time comes to get a replacement ring, I intend to send the worn out PF Direct Drive over to Coleman to get a custom blank with no dimples etc.

Cheers,

Lutfyb
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Hey there,

No not really. The PFC Direct Drive are so close to price, I am ordering those with the new V3 (none of the bolts to deal with). When the time comes to get a replacement ring, I intend to send the worn out PF Direct Drive over to Coleman to get a custom blank with no dimples etc.

Cheers,

Lutfyb
Look forward to your review of the V3s. Is the pricing similar to the V2s? I wasn't able to readily find cost online.

The general consensus amongst the 1M track rats was that the PFC rotors offered the best cost/benefit ratio and longevity, although there's that troublesome M3post PFC rotor fail thread.

You still plan on running stock calipers, right? I'm curious about your plans for street/track pad choice. PFC-Z rated and PFC08s maybe?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Look forward to your review of the V3s. Is the pricing similar to the V2s? I wasn't able to readily find cost online.

The general consensus amongst the 1M track rats was that the PFC rotors offered the best cost/benefit ratio and longevity, although there's that troublesome M3post PFC rotor fail thread.

You still plan on running stock calipers, right? I'm curious about your plans for street/track pad choice. PFC-Z rated and PFC08s maybe?
Most folks on this forums went BBK right off the bat. A lot of 1M guys run PFC rotors (personally evidenced on track).

For street, I have been using the stock ones as it was just replaced under warranty (no more BTW). Most likely stick with PFZ.

Yes stick with stock caliper. With these tweaks, the pad wear should be taken care of (on track) along with heat management (have confidence as some of the instructors I met on track were happy with wear).

Pricing is same on V2 and V3 from my convo with BW.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Interesting. So just pop out the rubber and put these in? I change pads at the track. Wondering if this will change any of the current process.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Interesting. So just pop out the rubber and put these in? I change pads at the track. Wondering if this will change any of the current process.
Correct. You'd need a needle plier to install the metal one. Very easy, yes just like you are now changing pads. Make sure you to carry racing (hi temp) caliper lube (any auto store sells it).

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
ThatGuyMikee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e90 6spd

I have a question on the kit, since it doesnt have a bushing to keep the dirt out , cant we cut our old bushings and slide them onto the solid bushing to the end to where its a tight fit , then we can reuse the end caps and keep the dirt out
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyMikee View Post
I have a question on the kit, since it doesnt have a bushing to keep the dirt out , cant we cut our old bushings and slide them onto the solid bushing to the end to where its a tight fit , then we can reuse the end caps and keep the dirt out
Not worth it. I never had any issue with dirt. Wipe it clean and then install the pins. My plastic cap to protect the stock current pins were LONG gone as the whole component has partially melted out due to heat.

People talk about not using metal guides because they can fail on the street obviously haven't tried it. In my past 2 years with my E36, no issues except for savings with even pad wear.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0