BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #45
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
I'd honestly really like to know how in the world your trunk is mis-aligned..

very easily on a unibody car. When the car is hit in the rear, esp the corner, it can damage the rear body panel (only see when bumper is removed). Offset trunk gaps are a clear indicator of a possible rear end structural damage.

OP, I am a certified collision expert; have a lot of experience w/ BMW as well; if you need any help PM me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #46
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
2 Things.

1.That bumper CAN be fixed, with a good body man, believe me I've seen it done.
2.There won't be anything damaged underneath.

Oh.. edit, is the bumper torn near the taillight?

If so, yea new bumper.
impossible to tell not only from a pic, but also w/out the bumper off. I would bet a few $$ that the taillamp pocket/rear body panel may have a little impact (directly under taillamp area)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #47
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Are you kidding? Where and how did you get that figure from? Please explain...

Your post is irrelevant. The job can be done correctly at an independent body shop if OP can find one in his are and save him probably 50 percent over the stealership.

The most this job will cost is 1500, if it's anything more, op is getting reemed.

def more. The car needs a new bumper, 1/4 panel repair, blend the sail panel/c-pillar, clear to a-pillar.... Done correctly, it really adds up.. and that's just from what I can see
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #48
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

didnt you see my quote. the price is right bitch.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #49
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I just checked, OP is in Dallas. From my understanding Dallas is in Texas, and oh wait, that's in the U.S

So once again, your post is irrelevant.

I didn't say go to an "off the road" independent shop, I said find a reputable one. He is in Dallas, not the boondocks, it shouldn't be that hard.

Again, BMW isn't the only one who can do good work. And hell, even they are questionable. I've seen work "BMW" techs do, and other members have as well...Makes you wonder.

But hell what do i know, my dad only owns a body shop. And it's not like we work on M3post members' cars..
Quote:
Lol, ok?

I don't know what you think could possibly be wrong.. what do you think he needs a new tranny?

For christ sake, the bumper is still perfectly aligned with the quarter and still flush with the left taillight.

But hey, I've got my popcorn ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
didnt you see my quote. the price is right bitch.
"the price is wrong Bob"
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #50
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

missed it by that much.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #51
desertfox73
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 - Tanzanite/Black

Quote:
I'd honestly really like to know how in the world your trunk is mis-aligned..
I don't know if it actually is...my post says it looks like it is; it's a matter of relative tolerances between the panels, and those have been thrown out of whack. The rear quarter panel is bent and pushed upward, indicating it was hit, which is likely why it now appears closer to the trunk lid. The rear taillight also appears pushed upwards (either permanently or as a temporary result of the deformed bumper) and this has changed the gap between the trunk lid and the light.

Further compounding the problem is the fact that the bumper is so jammed inward that it presses on the trunk lid near the latch; it presses enough that closing the lid is accompanied by a "sqeeeeeeeak" as the electronic mechanism pulls against the friction with the bumper. That tells me that the bumper is putting pressure on the trunk lid. When the bumper is replaced, that pressure will be relieved and the trunk lid may appear to be back to normal...which would be awesome, by the way. Fewer parts repaired or replaced means that it will be more like new when this is all done.

Anyway...we'll all know in a few days what all of this means.
      03-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #52
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
def more. The car needs a new bumper, 1/4 panel repair, blend the sail panel/c-pillar, clear to a-pillar.... Done correctly, it really adds up.. and that's just from what I can see

ok, my price was wrong from the beginning I didn't know the quarter was damaged.

Yes it needs a new bumper, and 1/4 repair.

So the bumper needs to be painted and 1/4 needs to be painted... I won't use the term "blend" because there is no reason to throw color all the way up toward the sail panel. If you say otherwise, that is BS and the color flop will show. If the quarter is twisted where right where that bumper is, color should only be applied there, Why on earth would i bring my color out towards the sail and risk mismatching the door?
Appreciate 0