BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

06-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #23
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

GTR GTR GTR i would get.
      06-30-2011, 02:22 AM   #24
M3KW
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3

I'd go for the M3 Convertible, simply because it is cheaper. You could go for a Porsche, but IMO I don't see the point really. Spice things up and grab a convertible for a different look on a M3. Be warned though, do not expect performance, rather expect enjoyment when the roof is down and listening to a glorious V8 engine. Mind you, that C63 has a beautiful exhaust tone! Have you considered a Lexus IS-F? What about a Maserati GranTurismo S?
      06-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #25
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ummm... F10 M5. Straight up. Get a Porsche if you want to track something, but don't put your kid in the back of a GT3. That's wack.

If your price range is $100k, just get the M5. Way iller than a GT-R despite the fact that there is a bias towards the Nissan on these forums.

M5 is crazy fast and actually comfortable compared to the other cars mentioned.

It's just hard to say because you are referencing such a wide variety of cars. 911s, M5, RS5, etc. They are all totally different, but the F10 M5 is SICK. Plus it's the new new body style which makes it even more fire.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #26
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

GTR or 911S
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:14 AM   #27
indohan
///MFEST DARK KNIGHT
Rep
Drives: JDM

E60 M5.
Or get a Luxury SUV. Range Rover/ X5.

I don't know how you define C63 a fun car.
      06-30-2011, 03:23 AM   #28
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Forget the convertible, ask your self, how often will you actually use it.
Live a little, get the G-TR.
If not that, then you've already answered your own qquestion.
you need practicality-m3 & stealthy-m3
      06-30-2011, 03:24 AM   #29
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indohan View Post
E60 M5.
Or get a Luxury SUV. Range Rover/ X5.

I don't know how you define C63 a fun car.
Uh, how is the c63 not a fun car??
      06-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #30
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post
Ummm... F10 M5. Straight up. Get a Porsche if you want to track something, but don't put your kid in the back of a GT3. That's wack.

If your price range is $100k, just get the M5. Way iller than a GT-R despite the fact that there is a bias towards the Nissan on these forums.

M5 is crazy fast and actually comfortable compared to the other cars mentioned.

It's just hard to say because you are referencing such a wide variety of cars. 911s, M5, RS5, etc. They are all totally different, but the F10 M5 is SICK. Plus it's the new new body style which makes it even more fire.
M5 is fast but still not in the range of gtr, both on the track or straight line. A stock GTR goes from 0-60 in 2.9 S
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #31
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
not as fun as the m3
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:43 AM   #32
roflopter142
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 STi

Options I would consider if I was in your position...

Audi: B8 S4, B8 S5
BMW: E90 335xi, E90 M3, E60 M5
Lexus: ISF
Nissan: R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #33
jsc12345
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: C63, X5///M

id say x5m. great family car fast. fully loaded only a tad bit over $100k
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #34
Manifold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche, AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
It seems like you have plenty of money, so what is the real issue. If you want your fun car then the choices already mentioned above are more then adequate along with the suv that you have now added to the equation.
I have a feeling no matter what people here suggest you will find one reason or another to reject them.
I'm sure you're not the only person I've managed to confuse, so let me try to clarify.

I currently have a C63, which I consider to be a (very) fun car. We're getting rid of our other existing cars and replacing them with two new cars. One of those will be an SUV. The other will be a convertible, since that's my wife's definition of a fun car.

I figure that if it has to be a convertible, it might as well be a high-performance one, so that I can trade it back and forth with the C63, to have some variety for myself. We'd like to keep the convertible price under about $100K, hence the M3 and 911 (non-S) options.

We've had limited opportunity to test drive the M3 and 911 convertibles, so I'm hoping that people with more experience with each car can point out some things we might have missed.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #35
Manifold
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
not as fun as the m3
I see that you drive both the C63 and M3. Would you agree that the cars are different enough that they complement each other? As I see it, each car has a different personality and somewhat different strengths.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #36
indohan
///MFEST DARK KNIGHT
Rep
Drives: JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
Coming from a 335, I understand why you said C63 is fun.
Torque and automatic transmission FTW!
      06-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #37
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAA-C63 View Post
I'm willing to give up some performance for the convertible, but not too much. If it's an M3, the idea is to get a real M3.

As far as convertibles go, nothing else meeting our criteria seems to match the M3. We test drove one and I thought it was great.

Thanks.
To the OP, nothing else met your criteria because there is nothing else in the class that comes close. Just proceed with caution should you choose an E93 M3. A lot of the guys on this board dont consider the vert a real M3 like you stated in your original post. I guess a 911 vert isnt a real Porsche either so make your decision based on practicality and intended use. I, for one happen to love my fake M3 and dont regret the choice at all. I've learned to deal with all the dirty looks from the guys in the real M3's.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #38
Manifold
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
To the OP, nothing else met your criteria because there is nothing else in the class that comes close. Just proceed with caution should you choose an E93 M3. A lot of the guys on this board dont consider the vert a real M3 like you stated in your original post. I guess a 911 vert isnt a real Porsche either so make your decision based on practicality and intended use. I, for one happen to love my fake M3 and dont regret the choice at all. I've learned to deal with all the dirty looks from the guys in the real M3's.
LOL!

Do you see any drawbacks with the E93? Two potential issues mentioned to me in another forum were lack of visibility with the top up, and too much wind with the top down.

Also, any reliability concerns? We've had more maintenance/repair issues with our BMWs than our MBs, but I know this tends to depend on the specific model and model year of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #39
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

For my intended use, there are no drawbacks. Ive had zero maintenance issues. Back seats for the kids and still more than enough performance to get into trouble. If you plan to track the car at all, which it doesnt seem like you do, then the vert isnt the right choice. As far as too much wind? Im not sure how to answer that. It's a convertible. What do you expect? Its not too much wind like you get in an AC Cobra but I'll say this: with the windows up and the wind deflector up, you feel ZERO wind allowing you top down driving in cold weather with the heat on. Also, not having a B-pillar, you can drive with top up and all windows down and you feel less wind than in the coupe. You wont have any regrets should you choose the vert. Just be realistic about your expectations. It's not a 911 Turbo. But it is almost as much fun, much more practical and half the price.

Good luck
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #40
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

One more thing to put the wind question in perspective: I can have a bluetooth conversation while on the highway with the top down without any issues. That should say a lot in terms of whether its too windy.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #41
Manifold
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
For my intended use, there are no drawbacks. Ive had zero maintenance issues. Back seats for the kids and still more than enough performance to get into trouble. If you plan to track the car at all, which it doesnt seem like you do, then the vert isnt the right choice. As far as too much wind? Im not sure how to answer that. It's a convertible. What do you expect? Its not too much wind like you get in an AC Cobra but I'll say this: with the windows up and the wind deflector up, you feel ZERO wind allowing you top down driving in cold weather with the heat on. Also, not having a B-pillar, you can drive with top up and all windows down and you feel less wind than in the coupe. You wont have any regrets should you choose the vert. Just be realistic about your expectations. It's not a 911 Turbo. But it is almost as much fun, much more practical and half the price.

Good luck
Thanks for the info. Seems like wind shouldn't be a concern, and it's not as though the 911 isn't windy on the highway also.

I'd like to track the E93 if the track allows it (top up). Might fly, since it's a hard top? Otherwise, I'll be limited to tracking the C63, which should suffice.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #42
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
I'm sure you're not the only person I've managed to confuse, so let me try to clarify.

I currently have a C63, which I consider to be a (very) fun car. We're getting rid of our other existing cars and replacing them with two new cars. One of those will be an SUV. The other will be a convertible, since that's my wife's definition of a fun car.

I figure that if it has to be a convertible, it might as well be a high-performance one, so that I can trade it back and forth with the C63, to have some variety for myself. We'd like to keep the convertible price under about $100K, hence the M3 and 911 (non-S) options.

We've had limited opportunity to test drive the M3 and 911 convertibles, so I'm hoping that people with more experience with each car can point out some things we might have missed.

Thanks!
Ok that makes much more sense now. In that case Id suggest the E93. Its got more room then the 911 vert. Im sure your kid will be more comfortable if you decide to sit him in the back with your wife up in the front for a prolonged ride.
Good luck with the hunt, you cant go wrong with any of the choice mentioned. Personally although the GTR is an amazing performer on the track, im not into its looks at all.
Joe
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #43
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
LOL!

Do you see any drawbacks with the E93? Two potential issues mentioned to me in another forum were lack of visibility with the top up, and too much wind with the top down.

Also, any reliability concerns? We've had more maintenance/repair issues with our BMWs than our MBs, but I know this tends to depend on the specific model and model year of the car.
Lack of visibility? There's no B pillar and the rest of the window dimensions are pretty much the same as the E92. So the E93 has more visibility if anything.

And as for the wind issue, like Kerry said, it's less windy with the top down (especially with a wind deflector) then an E92 with the windows open.

Quote:
Either way, it's one of the best looking Fake M3's I've seen.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #44
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

Used 997 Turbo or S vert. You can afford the Turbo, and it really is THAT much more car.

Or if you don't mind spending money on maintenance and you can give up the back seat, a 360 Modena Spyder.

All are within your price range.

Don't get an M3, it's too similar to the C63 and why get something practical?

Of the choices you narrowed down, definitely the 911.

Or you could really go nuts and get a supercharged Elise. I guarantee that will be totally unlike any other car you own/consider.