BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: Wait or search locally?
Wait and likely lose credit 6 54.55%
Search for one locally 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

12-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 m3

Wait for order or search locally?? Opinions needed

So, if you have followed any of my previous posts, I place an order for a E92 a little over a month ago, but it appears as though the car hasn't even gone into production. My plan was to take advantage of the Mission to Drive credit ($1000). When I placed the order, I was assured that the car would arrive within 6-8 weeks and I would be eligible for the credit.

Fast forward to today, and the car has still not been built. My thoughts are that if the car hasn't been built by this point, there is a minimal chance that the car will be built, transporte to the port, shipped and processed before the end of January, which would mean I would not get the credit.

So, now I am starting to think that I might be better off just locating a car locally. I know I probably won't get all of the options that I would like, but I am open to several configurations. My thought here is that if I search and find something here I would get the refit and be able to drive the car sooner.

I would hate to canel an order, but the car hasn't been built yet, the dealer might be able to just cancel it on their end.

What are some of the thoughts out there? Should I wait it out and likely lose the credit or search out a car locally?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
sbm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 zcp

Garage List
2010 M-3 Coupe  [0.00]
2002 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Search or Wait

No harm in Searching while waiting.1 k is nice, but shouldn't make or break the deal
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

What has taken so long for your car to go into production? What is your CA telling you? Keep in mind that the factory has a 2 week shutdown during the holidays so that might be some of it. But if you have waited a month and your car is still awaiting production I would, (A) search and see if your CA can do a dealer trade or (B) see if another dealer has something about to go into production and change the options............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

I personally would pay the $1k knowing the car is being built just for me the way I want it. Plus you know its not been on any test drives.

What does the 800 number tell you when you talk to a live operator about your car? They should have an exact week that your car will go into production.
      12-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@IND View Post
I personally would pay the $1k knowing the car is being built just for me the way I want it. Plus you know its not been on any test drives.
+ 1
      12-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all of the quick feedback. I know in the grand scheme the 1k isn't significant.

The car was ordered the week before Thanksgiving; about 5 weeks ago. I am not sure why production has been delayed. The last I heard from my CA was that the car was scheduled to go into production week 51, but I don't think it has yet (I need to check tomorrow). The last time I spoke with BMWNA (live person) the car was ready to go into production, but the was no confirmed start date. I am just impatient and kinda think it would be bs to lose the credit (principle) because production is taking so long. I have been reading some posts here from people that have ordered around me (not just the M) and their cars have at least gone into production.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
LimiTed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow

I'm in the same boat. I ordered Nov 11th. PW 50. It still hasnt gone into production yet. BMWNA can't tell me why its delayed. The new update is that I should be receiving the car late Feb/early March.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimiTed View Post
I'm in the same boat. I ordered Nov 11th. PW 50. It still hasnt gone into production yet. BMWNA can't tell me why its delayed. The new update is that I should be receiving the car late Feb/early March.
I would not be happy with that much of a delay. Grante I'm in NJ, so I should get the car a little sooner do to transport time, but still.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

I ordered mine nov 9th 2010, and BMW honored the 1500 holiday cash that expired on jan 3rd 2011 even though it wasn't delivered until jan 9th and none of the paper work was done before the 9th. I financed, so BMW finance honored it, not the dealer. If u are buying cash then I am not sure what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

I would be patient and get the exact car I want straight from the factory. If you want an alpine white with black interior and a sunroof, by all means pick one up locally (JK...saw a bunch of those where I live).

Everyone else is right, $1K is a small price to pay for a sweet ride to your specs. Honestly, from the time mine when into production to the trip through the canal to the pacific coast, I was amazed at how fast things went.

This was all despite the plant shutdown for vacation (prior to 2012 startup) and the whole CARB/EPA emission delay, where some cars spent weeks sitting at the port.
      12-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Who cares about the wait? Seems like you're more worried about the $1000 credit, if the credit is such a big deal then you sir are not in a comfortable position, financial wise, to be buying an M3.

Then again, it is known that as long as you contact the dealer when they have incentives and good rates going on even if you get the car after they have expired a good SA will still let you have them. Also, if you have a nice SA, if the rates/incentives get better they'll let you have the best ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Who cares about the wait? Seems like you're more worried about the $1000 credit, if the credit is such a big deal then you sir are not in a comfortable position, financial wise, to be buying an M3.

Then again, it is known that as long as you contact the dealer when they have incentives and good rates going on even if you get the car after they have expired a good SA will still let you have them. Also, if you have a nice SA, if the rates/incentives get better they'll let you have the best ones.
It's not the actual money that matters, it's the principle. If I am told a credit is available and the time for a customer order is 6-8 weeks, then I expect to receive the credit and have a car within the define time period.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioPark View Post
It's not the actual money that matters, it's the principle. If I am told a credit is available and the time for a customer order is 6-8 weeks, then I expect to receive the credit and have a car within the define time period.
I had been told that if the order was in you got the credit? Is that not correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #14
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
I had been told that if the order was in you got the credit? Is that not correct?
I am actually not sure. When I ordered the car, they said I need to take delivery before the end of the promotion. I keep asking whether or not I will still get it if the car is delivered beyond the program end date, but I keep hearing it will be here on time. I am not entirely sure how it will be if it has ot yet been built (especially with the year end close at the plant). I need to talk to my CA tomorrow to get some firm answers.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Buying a new car shouldn't be down to principles. The SA will ALWAYS tell you 6-8 weeks. Through your own fault you should also have researched and understood that the plant will be closed for 2 weeks, on top of that it is assumable production rate will slow down a bit around this time of year because of New Years as well. Good luck and I hope you come to a decision soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Bend your principles. Get a perfect car. A year from now none of this stuff will mean sh*t.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhird View Post
Bend your principles. Get a perfect car. A year from now none of this stuff will mean sh*t.
I'm going to find out what the deal is with my order tomorrow. If its still not looking good, I am going to start looking at local options. There are over a dozen in the area and it's winter here. Hoping that would be a good motivator for a dealer to want to move a car.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
I'm going to find out what the deal is with my order tomorrow. If its still not looking good, I am going to start looking at local options. There are over a dozen in the area and it's winter here. Hoping that would be a good motivator for a dealer to want to move a car.
Year End is always a good motivator (as I know you know very well )

I originally panned to make a 2012 ED for my new car then I found one very close by 160 miles from my house and purchased very close to what I was looking for I've saved myself the aggravation of waiting 2 to 3 months (it would not have been too hard since I traded in my 2011 M3 Basic without too many options).

Bottom line, I got a great deal, it was close by, made the deal then 5 days later was driving her home. I still go to Germany next year, only I will take the train with EuroRailPass and rent a car when I need one.

Good luck with finding your car or whatever you decide.

PS I voted for you to get one locally.

BTW ... did you add your Holiday Wish here for the BIMMERPOST Folks ? ===> CLICK to add your handle here

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 12-25-2011 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: ADDED BTW
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Year End is always a good motivator (as I know you know very well )

I originally panned to make a 2012 ED for my new car then I found one very close by 160 miles from my house and purchased very close to what I was looking for I've saved myself the aggravation of waiting 2 to 3 months (it would not have been too hard since I traded in my 2011 M3 Basic without too many options).

Bottom line, I got a great deal, it was close by, made the deal then 5 days later was driving her home. I still go to Germany next year, only I will take the train with EuroRailPass and rent a car when I need one.

Good luck with finding your car or whatever you decide.

PS I voted for you to get one locally.

BTW ... did you add your Holiday Wish here for the BIMMERPOST Folks ? ===> CLICK to add your handle here
Looks like tomorrow is going to be filled with some car shopping. Hopefully my next thread will be with pics of a new car. I think I should be able to find one locally that has all, or close to all, of the options I am looking for. I am really open on color options, so that will make it a little easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #20
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Looks like tomorrow is going to be filled with some car shopping. Hopefully my next thread will be with pics of a new car. I think I should be able to find one locally that has all, or close to all, of the options I am looking for. I am really open on color options, so that will make it a little easier.
For sure a lot of LESS sleepless nights Best of Luck to you

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #21
SergioPark
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
For sure a lot of LESS sleepless nights Best of Luck to you
Definitely! I don't mind waiting, but when 6-8 weeks turns to more like 9+ I get a little frustrated. Especially when I am unable to get a real insist into when the car will be built / arrive. I know it is out of their control to an extent, but when I am spending 70k+, I do have high expectations.

Last edited by SergioPark; 12-26-2011 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #22
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

FWIW, my car didn't go into production until 5 weeks after I ordered it. I, too, thought WTF. After it went into production, it was finished in a week, and was off to the shipping company. Ordered April 21. Took delivery June 26. just be patient. It will be worth the wait to get exactly what you want. And, yes, everything will slow down over the holidays.