BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

Mporium BMW

12-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

BMW Toronto - new car delivery

Hey guys,

Sales rep advised my car should be arriving late this week (hopefully in time for it to be a sweet Christmas gift).

I've already arranged with Marco at advancedmobile to slap a clear bra on her asap but he did advise I should limit how much prep work the dealer does on the car.

I'm likely going to get Kevin at *********** to prep the car for the clear bra, but his new car prep includes an interior job as well.

Two questions:

(1) anyone have any comments and/or experience with BMW Toront's new car prep, particularly on M3s?

(2) the dealer threw in the interior warranty and I believe that involves them treating the leather, among other things - would this negate the need for Kevin to do his interior portion of new car prep [I know this is more of a Kevin question but to the extent anyone has any thoughts, they are much appreciated]

(as an aside, the dealer will be tinting the car and slapping on the winter tire set I have in prep for delivery)

Any thoughts/comments welcome!

Thanks folks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Congrats!!

You can tell the dealer not to remove the plastic if you wanted to. How far you let them go is up to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy Gic View Post
Hey guys,

Sales rep advised my car should be arriving late this week (hopefully in time for it to be a sweet Christmas gift).

I've already arranged with Marco at advancedmobile to slap a clear bra on her asap but he did advise I should limit how much prep work the dealer does on the car.

I'm likely going to get Kevin at *********** to prep the car for the clear bra, but his new car prep includes an interior job as well.

Two questions:

(1) anyone have any comments and/or experience with BMW Toront's new car prep, particularly on M3s?

(2) the dealer threw in the interior warranty and I believe that involves them treating the leather, among other things - would this negate the need for Kevin to do his interior portion of new car prep [I know this is more of a Kevin question but to the extent anyone has any thoughts, they are much appreciated]

(as an aside, the dealer will be tinting the car and slapping on the winter tire set I have in prep for delivery)

Thanks folks
{didn't realize how many times I used the words "slap", "her" and "bra" in the original post......hopefully no one is offended }
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Just depends in what order the connotation is...haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Hey guys,

Two questions:

Thanks folks
I got the interior warranty on my M3 from BMW Toronto. It is just a warranty against certain types of damage. they don't do anything to your car.

I didn't know they did tinting, or do they just sub it out somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
I got the interior warranty on my M3 from BMW Toronto. It is just a warranty against certain types of damage. they don't do anything to your car.

I didn't know they did tinting, or do they just sub it out somewhere?
Word. When I was reading the literature on the interior warranty it mentioned some treating which would prevent any spills from setting in (as they would "bead" instead - thought this meant they would be doing something to the car)

as for the tint - no clue; I assumed they were doing it in-house but if not, I fully expect it to be a stand-up job.

Anyone have any experience with BMW Toronto tint jobs?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Word. When I was reading the literature on the interior warranty it mentioned some treating which would prevent any spills from setting in (as they would "bead" instead - thought this meant they would be doing something to the car)

as for the tint - no clue; I assumed they were doing it in-house but if not, I fully expect it to be a stand-up job.

You have 30 days after delivery to purchase this warranty. I got mine after delivery and they did not ask for the car back to do anything to it. It already had 3,200 km on it from my ED trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 RS

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
No personal experience but I'm sure they will send it out to the closest/cheapest tint place... its a money maker for them and they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

My recommendation would be to skip the dealer tint and get a good quality ceramic tint job (ie. FormulaOne Pinnacle) done somewhere else. Is the dealer using ceramic tint or the normal stuff that can interfere with the car's electronics (ie. Comfort Access)?
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
No personal experience but I'm sure they will send it out to the closest/cheapest tint place... its a money maker for them and they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

My recommendation would be to skip the dealer tint and get a good quality ceramic tint job (ie. FormulaOne Pinnacle) done somewhere else. Is the dealer using ceramic tint or the normal stuff that can interfere with the car's electronics (ie. Comfort Access)?
Good question - following up with the sales rep now

thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Well, conveniently enough it's a non-ceramic tint, but they do it in-house.

How much does a 35% ceramic tint job (at say FormulaOne) cost {approximately}?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I think I can add something to this! It's my understanding that the interior warranty is just a warranty against premature wear/stains etc. I don't think BMW applies any products to the interior. If they do odds are it's something like a cloth and vinyl scotch guard (which I suggest everyone does anyway, its good stuff!). Don't use the carpet stuff on leather though (just in case someone was about to), leather has a porous vinyl on it and the carpet stuff will close the pores. Scotch guard makes a product specifically for automotive leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

F1 pinnacle ceramic should be $350 (outside job). Dealer will probably charge $500 .... 'in house' means, they hire a mobile guy to come to the shop and do it.

If it's not too late, go for the ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
F1 pinnacle ceramic should be $350 (outside job). Dealer will probably charge $500 .... 'in house' means, they hire a mobile guy to come to the shop and do it.

If it's not too late, go for the ceramic.
They're charging me $299 but that's their "bargain basement price".

I will gladly pay $50 more for a 100% better product.

Thanks for the warning - will cancel dealer tint and go with a Ceramic.

Any go to shops you would recommend in the GTA?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I got mine done (15%) at Auto links (Eglinton & Birchmount). Thornhill Tint (Elgin Mills & Bayview) is another good source.

If you mention Group Buy to John (Auto-links) over @ e90post.com ... I think he will knock off another $20 or so off the quoted price

I would think Thornhill Tint charges about $50 more or so. Therefore, budget around $350 - $400 range.

http://www.auto-links.ca/formulaone-tint-toronto.html
http://www.thornhilltints.com/

Quote:
They're charging me $299 but that's their "bargain basement price".

I will gladly pay $50 more for a 100% better product.

Thanks for the warning - will cancel dealer tint and go with a Ceramic.

Any go to shops you would recommend in the GTA?

Last edited by bobblehead; 12-21-2011 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I got mine done (15%) at Auto links (Eglinton & Birchmount). Thornhill Tint (Elgin Mills & Bayview) is another good source.

If you mention Group Buy to John (Auto-links) over @ e90post.com ... I think he will knock off another $20 or so off the quoted price

I would think Thornhill Tint charges about $50 more or so. Therefore, budget around $350 - $400 range.

http://www.auto-links.ca/formulaone-tint-toronto.html
http://www.thornhilltints.com/
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

^ I had 35% pinnacle in my previous 535 and it's extremely light in the summer time. Hated it.

This time I went with 15% and it's perfect for the summer and I feel it's not dark at all ... however, it may look like it but it's not ... the clarity at night time is extremely clear.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
First M
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Blk/Blk M3

BMW Toronto

I had my tints done at BMW TO, 35% and agree that while they are not that dark, it is easier to see at night and looks good

My brother had darker tints and if you have the option with self dimming mirrors, he need up removing the tints as he could not see well enough at night

On the prep side, they did a great job... No complaints at all

They included tints and black kidney grills for me, but that was bc other dealers were jerking us around when they were sourcing the car.

Overall, great experience with them so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
airwave808
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I say go with Kevin for prep. as dealer won't do s***, especially to the interior. Mine came with dust marks on the driver seat that Kevin took care of.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by First M View Post
I had my tints done at BMW TO, 35% and agree that while they are not that dark, it is easier to see at night and looks good

My brother had darker tints and if you have the option with self dimming mirrors, he need up removing the tints as he could not see well enough at night

On the prep side, they did a great job... No complaints at all

They included tints and black kidney grills for me, but that was bc other dealers were jerking us around when they were sourcing the car.

Overall, great experience with them so far.
No issues with your comfort access?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
First M
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Blk/Blk M3

No issues with comfort access.....

No issues with your comfort access?[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #21
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:

Tint is way too overpriced there but expected, they make money off it so I would recommend going elsewhere for the tint since they outsource it anyways. Kevin did my new car prep as well - but he usually doesn't do interiors. Great choice, Kevin does an excellent job!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #22
iksenna
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SINGAPORE GREY

You actually made perfect moves to engage Kevin and Marco. I've used Kevin and he is the sh*t. I haven't worked with Marco but have only heard good things. BMW Toronto are good for many things but they should leave the tinting and clear-bra to the experts...

BTW, congrats on the wheels..