BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #45
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktwinturbo View Post

Saw this at the Nat. Vette Museum
This is just reg C7 but it looked sexyyyyyyy (to me at least).
...then I see pictures like this and I think, damn that looks pretty nice!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #46
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo View Post
Although I agree that its pretty bad ass, at the end if the day its a chevy. I could see so many better ways to spend that money on something else just as bad ass.
Like what?
Two M3's or an M5 or a Gt-r. Psh, the list is endless! As long as it's not a Chevy that will begin to fall apart in two years.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #47
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
It would look a little cleaner if every angle didn't have like 4-5 contrast points... Nothing paint can't fix though. Great looking car.

The crazy part is.. If that is the Z06.. Imagine what the ZR1 will look like..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #48
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

I had an 05 C6, kept stock. After the warranty period, got the extension and incurred over $13,000 in warranty claims for faults, failures, etc with no track days and only moderate "aggressive" driving. The rear axel SHATTERED at 25 mph in a residential zone! So many claims that the local dealership was denying service guaranteed by the warranty. I swore to myself I would never buy American (specifically, Chevy) again.

I hate that this makes me question my oath...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #49
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig
Who says you have to give up your M3?!!!

I will keep mine in addition to a new purchase. I just have two more months to pay off my M3 and it will be my weekend car and the new Corvette/ LEXUS LC-F/ F83 M3 will be my daily driver. Just as my current E90 M3 is.
Financial realities, sadly. M3 is paid off, but I'd want the equity to put toward my next car. I also don't see much point in having two track cars. I'd rather focus on learning one really well, and I wouldn't be able to justify keeping either one as a road-only car. That would be a waste of fantastic machinery for either one.

Besides, I'd rather pool whatever car money I can allocate into one best possible car I can get than two lesser cars.

Wouldn't be for a few years if it happened at all though. Mid-cycle refresh will have happened, all the options and improvements will be available, initial model year kinks will be worked out, mods will be more plentiful, best practices for track mods and setup as well as issues will have surfaced, etc. Plus I want to get more use out of the mods I only recently installed, and I'm hardly in a hurry to let go of such an incredible machine.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #50
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09
Wow crazy numbers and almost too much power. I mean you have to mod it right. Haven't been keeping up, is this car supercharged?

With a car like this you'd have to take it to the track, but it would no doubt scare me. I'd turn into that slow guy around the turns and quick down the straights.
The car is supercharged
      01-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #51
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

I've always considered 'Vettes to be "midlife crisis mobiles". The only time I ever see one is with some old man driving, with 2 and a half hairs on his head and going 45 down the interstate. However, these new ones look MUCH different, and I really like them. They are enough of a departure from the norm that I COULD be tempted. With that said, though, I think that they definitely borrowed heavily with some of this design styling. Whenever I see the front, I'm thinking SLS AMG, not Corvette. Not that that's a bad thing, per se, but I guess I just think that the Corvette should have always remained an American original. Oh well, I guess their thinking is "if you can't beat 'em join 'em"!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #52
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
I've always considered 'Vettes to be "midlife crisis mobiles". The only time I ever see one is with some old man driving, with 2 and a half hairs on his head and going 45 down the interstate. However, these new ones look MUCH different, and I really like them. They are enough of a departure from the norm that I COULD be tempted. With that said, though, I think that they definitely borrowed heavily with some of this design styling. Whenever I see the front, I'm thinking SLS AMG, not Corvette. Not that that's a bad thing, per se, but I guess I just think that the Corvette should have always remained an American original. Oh well, I guess their thinking is "if you can't beat 'em join 'em"!
Agreed on the midlife crisis stereotype -- but it's not as if BMW drivers enjoy freedom from stereotypes. Still, that's one reason I want to get a Corvette while I'm younger; I'm thinking that if I do it while I'm in my low to mid-30s I can hopefully dodge that bullet. Although if I've already owned an M3 and a Corvette, the next step might have to be a Porsche, which is just the "midlife crisis car for the one percent".

Interesting about the SLS observation, never noticed that. I think part of the European car plagiarism is due to the fact that with this generation, GM is making a much stronger push to sell the Corvette internationally, just as Ford is doing with the Mustang. But when I look at the new Vette's front end, I see Ferrari (especially the 458), some Aston Martin (new Vanquish), and a hint of Lotus (Evora). Not exactly bad choices for design inspiration.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 01-11-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #53
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

This may well be my next car. I want my performance cars to have at least 8 cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #54
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktwinturbo View Post
When I saw the C7 for the first time online, I did not like it.. I thought it looked hideous and weird.. However, when I saw one in person, that was a different story...Interior was nice and car looked impressive.. This Z06 might be the first American sports car I may puchase.
Exactly this. Hard not to judge the car when you first see pics. I was on the fence on the C7. One angle beautiful, another, hideous. Finally saw one on the road, coming at me on a divided state hwy. I thought it was a Ferrari at first. Really much better looking in person. This one was solid red, none of the carbon black accent garbage. Hot
      01-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #55
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Agreed on the midlife crisis stereotype -- but it's not as if BMW drivers enjoy freedom from stereotypes. Still, that's one reason I want to get a Corvette while I'm younger; I'm thinking that if I do it while I'm in my low to mid-30s I can hopefully dodge that bullet. Although if I've already owned an M3 and a Corvette, the next step might have to be a Porsche, which is just the "midlife crisis car for the one percent".

Interesting about the SLS observation, never noticed that. I think part of the European car plagiarism is due to the fact that with this generation, GM is making a much stronger push to sell the Corvette internationally, just as Ford is doing with the Mustang. But when I look at the new Vette's front end, I see Ferrari (especially the 458), some Aston Martin (new Vanquish), and a hint of Lotus (Evora). Not exactly bad choices for design inspiration.
Yeah. I wish stupid Lexus would do some of that borrowing. If anyone can use it, it would be them, then Acura, finally infiniti.
      01-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #56
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig
Yeah. I wish stupid Lexus would do some of that borrowing. If anyone can use it, it would be them, then Acura, finally infiniti.
Agreed. Bummer about Acura too, since they were good until recently. I had a 2008 TL Type-S before the M3, and I still think the TL was one of the best styled mainstream cars on the road at the time -- before they ruined it for 09, along with every single one of their other models.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #57
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

For this car I could embrace the midlife crisis, let some chest hair show and get a gold chain!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #58
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I dont see one single angle where this thing isnt beautiful, so im not sure what some of you are talkn bout.
      01-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #59
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo View Post
Two M3's or an M5 or a Gt-r. Psh, the list is endless! As long as it's not a Chevy that will begin to fall apart in two years.
couldn't say it any better. They shake and rattle, fit and finish is poor, low quality all around off the line. 2 years down the line, repair, repair repair...
      01-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #60
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
couldn't say it any better. They shake and rattle, fit and finish is poor, low quality all around off the line. 2 years down the line, repair, repair repair...
That may be true for less recent models, but GM, Ford, and Hyundai have all come a very, VERY long way in the last 5 years or so. I haven't done more than sit in a C7 Corvette briefly so far, but I honestly don't believe that the unfortunate build quality and reliability reputation GM has accumulated recently will turn out to persist in their cars built from the last few years onward. Only time will tell for sure with something like this of course, but I for one am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering the astonishing improvements they've made in very recent years.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #61
AirbusPilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
That may be true for less recent models, but GM, Ford, and Hyundai have all come a very, VERY long way in the last 5 years or so. I haven't done more than sit in a C7 Corvette briefly so far, but I honestly don't believe that the unfortunate build quality and reliability reputation GM has accumulated recently will turn out to persist in their cars built from the last few years onward. Only time will tell for sure with something like this of course, but I for one am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering the astonishing improvements they've made in very recent years.
Yep, all true. This isn't your old chevy shite box. Seems after the BK, GM has radically improved their brand. Even my 09' Z06 was screwed together right, no issues, rattles, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #62
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
You sound Silly bro.
      01-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #63
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I feel sorry for all the guys who bought the C7 base model way above sticker for 68k + because it was brand new.
In about 3 years the C7 base will be worth 42k used and the C7 Z07 around 58k used.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #64
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, German cars in general have more mechanical issues, parts are more expensive, and are harder to work on. Although I will agree, they tend not to "shake and rattle" as much!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #65
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65
I feel sorry for all the guys who bought the C7 base model way above sticker for 68k + because it was brand new.
In about 3 years the C7 base will be worth 42k used and the C7 Z07 around 58k used.
I don't. The Z06 isn't exactly a new addition to the Corvette lineup, so I'm sure those people knew perfectly well that at least one more hardcore version was coming and decided that they'd prefer the more DD/GT-focused version. A Z06 must be taken to the track to reveal any (positive) differences compared to the base model even more so than an M3, so I suspect the early buyers had little to no track intentions. And if they really were brand new to the Corvette brand and didn't do their research, well that's just another example of why people should do their homework.

I feel worse for people around here who bought F10 M5s right out of the gate only to have BMW introduce a new iDrive, standard steering and suspension revisions, and a Competition Package all within a year of its global launch.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #66
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krockit1
Finally saw one on the road, coming at me on a divided state hwy. I thought it was a Ferrari at first.
+1, had the exact same experience. When I realized that it was in fact a Corvette, in that moment I was so very proud to be an American.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0