BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM
View Poll Results: MDCT OWNERS ONLY!!! Do you regret getting MDCT? (your name will be shown)
No, I love the MDCT. If had a second chance, I'll still get it. 117 73.58%
Yes, getting the MDCT was a mistake. I'd go for a 6MT next time. 42 26.42%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

08-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #89
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeboy View Post
Am I the only one who thinks manual shifting on a DCT is retarded?
I tried it a couple times, 1st..2nd..mid way through 3rd I am at 60 mph so I tap down FOUR TIMES in succession to put it in 7th...duh
Would you drive a 335 automatic with the steering wheel paddles?
Lets face it... Bmw really made a stick M3 and an auto M3 for people like me.
Who manually shifts an automatic car??? I am confused...
Again..I don't know, maybe everyone gets into an auto tranny car and m,anually shifts..seems a bit lame, but whatever makes people feel good.
Have you ever driven a manual? It seems you missed out on the benefits of picking your own shift points.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #90
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Probably.

The whole point of maunal shifting is to retain manual control over which gear the car is in. The problem with automatics is they cannot anticipate what the driver will do next. If you take your foot off the gas is it because you are done accelerating or because you are getting ready for the next acceleration burst. The car doesn't know and automatics will upshift, then you need to wait 1s or more to get back to the right gear when you do need to go.

The whole point of manual control is to let the driver chose what gear they are in. Isn't that the point of a real manual also? Or is it really all about having a lever to push around?
      08-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #91
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin13 View Post
As you said, there are opinions on both sides. I would ask what what you are looking for from the transmission and also what would be deal breaking characteristics? Might be easier to get feedback on the points that are important to you in your decision making process.
Well, for me, the whole point of contolling which gear I'm in is so that I can have the engine running at optimal rpm for what I'm doing. I also hate the spongy feeling that comes with the torque converter on an automatic. I also want a high degree of freedom in gear selection. I've tried many many of ther so-called tiptronics including the IS-F, lots of bimmers, mercedes and so on.... I hated them all. Whenever I want a gear that the computer doesn't like it gives me a beep indtead of a shift. And I'm not doing anything crazy... I know for sure that gear will be better for what I'm goingto do next.

So i guess here is the question: is the DCT going to let me get the gear that I want or is it just going to do its own thing when I try to downshift agressively?

Quote:
I tried it a couple times, 1st..2nd..mid way through 3rd I am at 60 mph so I tap down FOUR TIMES in succession to put it in 7th...duh
Would you drive a 335 automatic with the steering wheel paddles?
Lets face it... Bmw really made a stick M3 and an auto M3 for people like me.
Who manually shifts an automatic car??? I am confused...
Again..I don't know, maybe everyone gets into an auto tranny car and m,anually shifts..seems a bit lame, but whatever makes people feel good.

Dude, people to manually shift automatic cars. An automatic will only respond to throttle inputs. Picture this, you are in an 335 auto. You enter a tight corner in 6th, you break, and at the exit your are only doing 35. You floor it to acclerate... nothing happens for 2 secs (it seems like 2 years when you see the car next to you peel off)... the computer finally decides to down shift and let you go. But if you used the paddles on your 335 and get into 2nd before the exit, you won't have this problem.

So the verdict: although automatics aren't as fun, their paddle shifters does help on performance.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #92
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
Well, for me, the whole point of contolling which gear I'm in is so that I can have the engine running at optimal rpm for what I'm doing. I also hate the spongy feeling that comes with the torque converter on an automatic. I also want a high degree of freedom in gear selection. I've tried many many of ther so-called tiptronics including the IS-F, lots of bimmers, mercedes and so on.... I hated them all. Whenever I want a gear that the computer doesn't like it gives me a beep indtead of a shift. And I'm not doing anything crazy... I know for sure that gear will be better for what I'm goingto do next.

So i guess here is the question: is the DCT going to let me get the gear that I want or is it just going to do its own thing when I try to downshift agressively?
OK, that was a deal breaker for me too. In S mode I wanted it to shift when I wanted and only when I wanted (no auto upshift). Only exception was blocking a "money shift", which it does. So far, I've always gotten the requested gear. Members have reported not getting a downshift to execute under threshold braking. There's a thread on it if you search. Not my prefered behavior at the track. I hope it can be fixed in a software update.

Last edited by Ronin13; 08-11-2008 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #93
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Yep you are
      08-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #94
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
I can honestly say that the transmission type one chooses does not determine the skill of the driver or how much of an enthusiast he or she is. I am not the best 6MT driver out there, but I can tell you that I am one hell of a driver in my '05 M3 Coupe w/SMG. I completely understand racing and driving concepts, manual tranny shift points, optimal gear for certain speeds/situations, etc... If you rhode with me you would think that I have driven manuals my entire life, but I haven't.

So, it does not make anyone more or less of a driver because you chose a tranny whose clutch is computer controlled.

6MT vs. MDCT = To Each His Own!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #95
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
These MDCT vs 6MT and Moonroof vs CF Roof has really turn us against each other.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #96
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinhci View Post
These MDCT vs 6MT and Moonroof vs CF Roof has really turn us against each other.
Yes and thats why we need to get Leather vs. Speed cloth going strong
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:04 AM   #97
M3Lion
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 / 1998 M3 sedan

If your a man

If you have balls in ur pants, and are proud of it, go with stick. With all due respect, if you really know how to drive the car: STICK.. and again, with all do respect, mdct is for those either too lazy to drive stick, scared to drive stick, or dont know how to tame the beast so they have the mdct do it for them
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #98
M3Lion
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 / 1998 M3 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinhci View Post
Carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #99
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manalope View Post
You have to understand theres no torque converter so it will never be as "smooth" as an automatic that has one.
But that is where you are wrong. In nearly every respect it is mreo smooth than most automatics and about as smooth as the best automatics. Do you have M-DCT or have you driven one?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:47 AM   #100
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Lion View Post
If you have balls in ur pants, and are proud of it, go with stick. With all due respect, if you really know how to drive the car: STICK.. and again, with all do respect, mdct is for those either too lazy to drive stick, scared to drive stick, or dont know how to tame the beast so they have the mdct do it for them
Ugh. That was a terrible post. You can't really talk about "if you have balls" and "with all due respect" in the same breath. The problems here are many. 1. You do not understand nor respect M-DCT nor M-DCT onwers/drivers/enthusiasts. 2. Your rude and inciting behavior adds no novelty nor facts to this discussion. 3. Your assumptions that MT driving "skill" level should determine ones choice of transmissions is patently false. Do not pass go, do not collect $200...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:51 AM   #101
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
If you have balls in ur pants, and are proud of it, go with stick.
Here goes the e-penis argument again.

We have at least one e-penis post on these not so meaningful DCT vs. MT threads. The analogous argument that will surely follow--if it hasn't been posted already--will be that MT is ancient technology and anyone who wants to drive MT must be a neanderthal.

Member MT: You are not man enough.
Member DCT: You are a neanderthal.
Member MT: Yeah, but I'd rather be a neanderthal than not be a man.
Member DCT: You are pathetic. Then you should also give up your starter and hand crank your car.
Member MT: That's different. Why don't we "program" your car so that it drives itself while you sit and watch from behind the wheel then? You should learn how to drive stick.
Member DCT: I can drive stick. I just want to go fast. You don't.
Member MT: As if getting to work 200ms faster at each shift will get me a raise. But MT will get me laid as chicks dig men who can drive stick.
Member DCT: You don't know anything about performance driving.
Member MT: You won't admit you bought DCT for you wife.
Member DCT: I don't have a wife. I am a race car driver.
Member MT: Does DCT come with a purse?
Member DCT: Go back to your cave and marvel over how the wheel will work when it will eventually be invented by a brain superior to yours, the kind of brain that invented DCT.
Member MT: "The computer" that is invented by that same brain is taking over everything. I have the balls to try to be in control. You don't.
Member DCT: You just want to go slow. I have more balls for wanting to go faster.
Member MT: You just want to drive and eat your hamburger, too. I want to feel connected.
Member DCT: If you want to feel connected, get a girlfriend. I'll show you "connected" at the race track.

Last edited by lucid; 08-12-2008 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #102
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

OP, just buy what you want. You won't find the answer to your question here on-line. I am sure you have already considered the pros and cons of each transmission for yourself, and the rest is a subjective call. These kinds of threads do nothing more than cause people to come out and express their opinions as facts. The only facts that you should be aware of are that DCT will shift faster than you ever can and will allow you to focus more on steering and accelerating/decelerating the car by doing the shifting. The rest is subjective.
      08-12-2008, 03:13 AM   #103
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
LOL. What a joke. Yes you're right ... if you have balls buy MT.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 03:39 AM   #104
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
Call your local dealers (BMW and Nissan) and ask them,then let us know.
Be good,
TomK
I have actually. I spoke with the finance manager when I bought the car and the SA when I took my car in for service. They are both fine with non-competitive untimed events as long as the car is stock. If you modify the car, you start giving them reasons to give you a hard time although even then you have certain legal rights.

They can download whatever they want from the ECU. As long as you have not operated the car outside of its indicated operational limits such as over-revving or overheating, they would have no basis for denying warranty on a stock car as long as you haven't competed with it.

Also, what do you think the log of an M3 which is driven hard on the autobahn everyday looks like? You can wear out the engine on the autobahn as well; you don't need to be on a track. I doubt that the ECU stores any deceleration or lateral acceleration data, so aggresive highway driving logs would most likely yield similar logs to track logs in terms of rpm, oil temp, and vehicle speed ranges.

If you track very often, you will wear out certain parts much faster though such as the rotors and pads. There, they might have an argument that those parts are expected to last certain amount of miles, but I don't think that would mean that they can void your entire warranty. They might just refuse to replace the rotors/pads.
      08-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #105
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
But that is where you are wrong. In nearly every respect it is mreo smooth than most automatics and about as smooth as the best automatics. Do you have M-DCT or have you driven one?
Interesting, because I would have guessed the M-DCT in auto mode is less smooth than a TQ converter AT. I am a MT driver all the way, but I am looking forward to trying the DCT sometime.

Back when the DCT came out for the GTI, it was all the rage for a while and there were a bunch of people on forums raving about how great it was. Eventually, there were threads where MT enthusiasts admitted regretting it because they found it wasn't as fun or involving after spending a lot more time with it. That's the one thing I'd be concerned about, that the novelty would wear off.
      08-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #106
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Here goes the e-penis argument again.

We have at least one e-penis post on these not so meaningful DCT vs. MT threads. The analogous argument that will surely follow--if it hasn't been posted already--will be that MT is ancient technology and anyone who wants to drive MT must be a neanderthal.

Member MT: You are not man enough.
Member DCT: You are a neanderthal.
Member MT: Yeah, but I'd rather be a neanderthal than not be a man.
Member DCT: You are pathetic. Then you should also give up your starter and hand crank your car.
Member MT: That's different. Why don't we "program" your car so that it drives itself while you sit and watch from behind the wheel then? You should learn how to drive stick.
Member DCT: I can drive stick. I just want to go fast. You don't.
Member MT: As if getting to work 200ms faster at each shift will get me a raise. But MT will get me laid as chicks dig men who can drive stick.
Member DCT: You don't know anything about performance driving.
Member MT: You won't admit you bought DCT for you wife.
Member DCT: I don't have a wife. I am a race car driver.
Member MT: Does DCT come with a purse?
Member DCT: Go back to your cave and marvel over how the wheel will work when it will eventually be invented by a brain superior to yours, the kind of brain that invented DCT.
Member MT: "The computer" that is invented by that same brain is taking over everything. I have the balls to try to be in control. You don't.
Member DCT: You just want to go slow. I have more balls for wanting to go faster.
Member MT: You just want to drive and eat your hamburger, too. I want to feel connected.
Member DCT: If you want to feel connected, get a girlfriend. I'll show you "connected" at the race track.
Awesome!

Reminded me of an Audiworld post from a while back about competition between adolescent mindsets.

mAd CoPy SkIlLs

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #107
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Or, people who choose the sequential tranny prefer to get consistent laptimes, run faster than 6MT consistently, and enjoy some of the fastest shifts known to man.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #108
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista_Vanquish View Post
Or, people who choose the sequential tranny prefer to get consistent laptimes, run faster than 6MT consistently, and enjoy some of the fastest shifts known to man.
You know.. I understand what you guys are saying bout the DCT. The thing is this; I am not racing the car so lap times mean nothing to me and as for the super fast shifts.. ehh, it's still not nearly as engaging as a clutch pedal. I am driving for the experience and I want all my senses (and limbs) active during that experience. It is just my preference. There is a certain feeling of involvement you can only get through a clutch pedal.. it's that involvement which to me, truly encapsulates the essence of driving. 6MT please!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #109
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

On the other note, I gave my car to the dealership yesterday for a paint defect it had and I am already missing my car..... DCT vs. MT... MR vs. CF....Tech vs. No tech...18 vs. 19... all these arugments are useless 'cause M3 is an M3.
      08-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #110
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Real men with balls hand crank their engine, do not have power assisted steering, or have power windows.

Comparing 6MT to having balls is about the same as equating China with human rights. Neither is provable and only one is associated with the other. Pick what tranny you want, just stop listening to people who cant articulate a simple sentence, and you'll be a lot better off on the forum.
Appreciate 0