BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #45
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
While I agree his reviews are much more opinionated rather than subjective, if you have ever drive paddle trannies that don't move with the wheel it can be annoying. Thats all I'll say on that.
This was my original comment in response to Mofomat's post. While it is clear I never said that in specific the M3 did or did not have shifting paddles of that type, I will however concede that is it reasonable to assume I was talking about the M3 since that was the context in which his original statement was made under.

So for that instance I was indeed mistaken. I have no trouble or issue with declaring fault. Especially on a internet forum. What pissed me off a bit was just the witch hunt that ensued to try to publicly discredit me in a place that I frequent and have become fond of the community. Then he moves on to suggest how he considers this forum immature. I don't believe I have given much reason to warrant such a perception. I have friendly banter and will make posts of comical and sometimes mocking nature, but only when that nature is applicable. But I also believe I've been a beneficial contributor to this forum in a whole. Posting up interesting if not sometimes comical pictures and videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I even had one numpty on this thread (you may have read it) who thought the SMG paddles on the E46 were on the steering column , and then when he showed himself up, he tried to save face by claiming he "knew all along" and that I "intentionally set him up". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
So, I'm a numpty because I said that paddles that aren't attached to steering wheels are annoying? I got the paddle placement wrong. I've never owned a M3 before nor have I eluded to such a luxury. It seems an awefully small matter to call someone a fool over, and even more so to continue to talk about about them when I tried to resolve this out of the public's eye. Is that an immature way of going about things? If so, your perception of maturity is far askew from the contemporary normal standard most of us share.

Honestly, I'm done with the conversation. Talking to you over a forum in general has just been an unpleasant experience to say the least. And since when did joining an internet forum carry with it a necessity of expertise? We are all here to learn, and in many cases we will learn about topics and areas in which we didn't know we had a lacking of understanding. It's all welcomed from my point of view. The fight picking isn't. If you want a mature forum, then put maturity into it, but I guess you have that 'other' forum to go to. I've looked around I haven't found any that are M3 specific with such a strong following and activeness as this one.

On a slightly different note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
But in fairness to give yourself the title 'UltimateBMW' you really should know your stuff.
Its just a forum name composed on a play of words from BMW's slogan of "The Ultimate Driving Machine". And it displays my opinion of BMW's engineering as being superior. It has nothing to do with my personal knowledge or experience with the brand or any technology there-in. If it's really a problem for anyone then I'll talk to Jason to change it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #46
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

On a side note, this forum community does have it's drama at times. Whether it's welcomed or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #47
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakybimmer View Post
They test drove 1000+ more cars than you
that means they know more about car than you.

So you know me and what I do then?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #48
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The funny thing is that Topgear is now more popular than ever, this must mean the majority of people (across the world) prefer it like this, myself included.
It's more popular than ever because it's been dumbed down. Obviously in order to justify the one hour length (which most of the time could be reduced down to 30mins if you remove the frivolous items) and the license fee*, the makers of Top Gear (the production company is owned by Jeremy Clarkson) have been asked by the BBC to satisfy a broader audience. Hence increased viewing figures due to people who like to see "amusing" features and "banter" like blowing up caravans, and less emphasis on serious test drives. As entertainment it's OK. As a serious car programme you have to look elsewhere.

* To the Americans who don't know, the BBC is commercial free and receives it's funding though the TV license which every owner of a television must buy every year. This keeps the BBC a public service.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #49
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They test drove 1000+ more cars than you
that means they know more about car than you.
The point is that Jeremy Clarkson will happily admit to making stuff up if it makes a good story/gets a few laughs/creates a reaction. The same goes for prefering a certain car just to go against the majority of journalists. The M3 CSL review is an example of this. The number if people who think the boot of the CSL is made of cardboard.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #50
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
This was my original comment in response to Mofomat's post. While it is clear I never said that in specific the M3 did or did not have shifting paddles of that type, I will however concede that is it reasonable to assume I was talking about the M3 since that was the context in which his original statement was made under.

So for that instance I was indeed mistaken. I have no trouble or issue with declaring fault. Especially on a internet forum. What pissed me off a bit was just the witch hunt that ensued to try to publicly discredit me in a place that I frequent and have become fond of the community. Then he moves on to suggest how he considers this forum immature. I don't believe I have given much reason to warrant such a perception. I have friendly banter and will make posts of comical and sometimes mocking nature, but only when that nature is applicable. But I also believe I've been a beneficial contributor to this forum in a whole. Posting up interesting if not sometimes comical pictures and videos.

So, I'm a numpty because I said that paddles that aren't attached to steering wheels are annoying? I got the paddle placement wrong. I've never owned a M3 before nor have I eluded to such a luxury. It seems an awefully small matter to call someone a fool over, and even more so to continue to talk about about them when I tried to resolve this out of the public's eye. Is that an immature way of going about things? If so, your perception of maturity is far askew from the contemporary normal standard most of us share.

Honestly, I'm done with the conversation. Talking to you over a forum in general has just been an unpleasant experience to say the least. And since when did joining an internet forum carry with it a necessity of expertise? We are all here to learn, and in many cases we will learn about topics and areas in which we didn't know we had a lacking of understanding. It's all welcomed from my point of view. The fight picking isn't. If you want a mature forum, then put maturity into it, but I guess you have that 'other' forum to go to. I've looked around I haven't found any that are M3 specific with such a strong following and activeness as this one.

On a slightly different note:

Its just a forum name composed on a play of words from BMW's slogan of "The Ultimate Driving Machine". And it displays my opinion of BMW's engineering as being superior. It has nothing to do with my personal knowledge or experience with the brand or any technology there-in. If it's really a problem for anyone then I'll talk to Jason to change it.
My head hurts.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #51
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
mofomat,

I don't disagree that you can't take Topgear seriously but I can't think of a single programme on a Sunday night which I would want to watch more, the interaction between the three of them at times is priceless. I must say I am really looking forward to the next episode with the three of them in my three current most favourite cars.

Should be very entertaining.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #52
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My head hurts.
Lies! It wasn't that hard of a read.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #53
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The point is that Jeremy Clarkson will happily admit to making stuff up if it makes a good story/gets a few laughs/creates a reaction. The same goes for prefering a certain car just to go against the majority of journalists. The M3 CSL review is an example of this. The number if people who think the boot of the CSL is made of cardboard.
What is the boot floor made of then and is any part of it made from a cardboard type material?

It's just I'm curious because I'm sure I have read something very similar in a magazine when it was launched.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #54
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What is the boot floor made of then and is any part of it made from a cardboard type material?

It's just I'm curious because I'm sure I have read something very similar in a magazine when it was launched.
I don't know, but I know it's not cardboard.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #55
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

It's called SMC (Sheet Moulding Compound), a fiber reinforced composite. I think cardboard is what some say when mocking the CSL (not sure, but believe I've read that term in Mo's favourite forum for the first time).

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #56
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know, but I know it's not cardboard.
Then maybe it is similar to cardboard and that is why both reviews chose to use this as a reference because it is something that everyone can relate to and understand what they meant by it's construction.

It's a bit like polycarbonate, one could say it's plastic material and less informed people might understand it better, even though there is numerous materials which look the same yet are different.

Get my point.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #57
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Then maybe it is similar to cardboard and that is why both reviews chose to use this as a reference because it is something that everyone can relate to and understand what they meant by it's construction.

It's a bit like polycarbonate, one could say it's plastic material and less informed people might understand it better, even though there is numerous materials which look the same yet are different.

Get my point.
I would go with that if it was anybody other than Jeremy Clarkson doing the review. I've just re-watched the video he said it in, and he even says he's "not joking" before he talks about the cardboard floored boot. At time 3:34 he says you can't put shopping in the boot incase it falls through the cardboard floor. Gullible people believe the crap he spouts, whether he's joking or not.

The review on Top Gear in which he said it is in this video. Time 2:45 is where he talks about the cardboard boot.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #58
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
It's called SMC (Sheet Moulding Compound), a fiber reinforced composite. I think cardboard is what some say when mocking the CSL (not sure, but believe I've read that term in Mo's favourite forum for the first time).

Best regards, south
Thanks. As knowledgeable as ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #59
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would go with that if it was anybody other than Jeremy Clarkson doing the review. I've just re-watched the video he said it in, and he even says he's "not joking" before he talks about the cardboard floored boot. At time 3:34 he says you can't put shopping in the boot incase it falls through the cardboard floor. Gullible people believe the crap he spouts, whether he's joking or not.

The review on Top Gear in which he said it is in this video. Time 2:45 is where he talks about the cardboard boot.

I remember it well without having to watch it, but like you said 'Gullible people' believe everything that is said. Sad really.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #60
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

It's like you love to pick up lil detail to sabotages the show haha weirdo....

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, mainly due to your complete disregard for basic levels of spelling and grammar.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #61
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
so what do you do....you drive more car than him then huh
wat a childish remark..... lol
Oh the irony........
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #62
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
oh really....I don't really communicate with unintelligent people sorry
Why? Do they look down on you as a bit simple?

If you're going to try and be clever on an internet forum, you really need the wit and vocabulary to back this up. Alas, it seems you don't have this.

Nevermind. Maybe if you work a bit harder at school.......
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #63
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
why do you want to try and be cleaver on a internet forum? lol
wow you have to back it up as well......lol
Is that why you spend your time to sabotage the show?

I still have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

If English isn't your first language then I understand. I can only speak a bit of French so I can't really comment.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #64
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As i said i don't communicate with unintelligent people sorry....
OK, I give in. You are more intelligent than me.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #65
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Mofomat: Thanks for your patience. leaky is a real troll. All he ever does is lurk and post totally random unintelligible crap. Sometimes it sounds like he is a computer program attempting to imitate humans. We should all ignore him until he gets bored and leaves.

Want some real entertainment - just look up all of his posts and get a feeling for his true "depth" and "breadth".
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 01:27 AM   #66
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Mofomat: Thanks for your patience. leaky is a real troll. All he ever does is lurk and post totally random unintelligible crap. Sometimes it sounds like he is a computer program attempting to imitate humans. We should all ignore him until he gets bored and leaves.

Want some real entertainment - just look up all of his posts and get a feeling for his true "depth" and "breadth".
I like the way leaky laughs at his own "jokes" (lol)
Appreciate 0