BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
SCOR
Rep
Drives: F-150

Cracked cylinder head

I could use some advice. I bought a 2013 E92 M3 with 5K miles. I've driven it for 2 months and put another 3K miles on it. I took it for an oil change and noticed on the repair history that it had a cracked cylinder head at 2K miles that I was not told about (before I bought the car). They replaced the head, a fuel injector, the hydraulic valve lifter, the injection valve and a valve collet. I had a PPI done and they said the car was mint. They never mentioned the repair.

Since I've had the car it has been fine. No problems. Runs great. The car is under warranty through April 2017. The dealer that did the oil change says it has no fault codes or problems.

My question is, a there the potential for long term damage or problems from this repair? In trying to decide whether to take action against the dealer (small indy) I bought it from and whether or not to keep the car.

Would really appreciate your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

All depends on if the car was bought back by bmw na at any time. If so you should have been notified.

Most cars have had warranty work at some point, granted a cylinder head replacement is on the more involved side. If the car runs great I wouldn't worry too much about it and enjoy the ride.
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
SCOR
Rep
Drives: F-150

Thank you. It was never bought back
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I agree with exmowner (love the wheels in the sig, BTW!). A cracked cylinder head was most likely due to over-heating or a low cycle manufacturing/material defect. With the additional miles you put on it since the repair, it suggests you will be fine.

The only thing I recommend you watch is the coolant consumption and color. A worn head gasket, cracked engine block, or cracked head could cause antifreeze/coolant to enter the oil system. Check to see if you are losing antifreeze over time or if the antifreeze is also contaminated with oil. You can have your car's fluids tested at a lab to confirm the diagnosis. Another sign is excessive white smoke coming from the tailpipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
I agree with exmowner (love the wheels in the sig, BTW!). A cracked cylinder head was most likely due to over-heating or a low cycle manufacturing/material defect. With the additional miles you put on it since the repair, it suggests you will be fine.

The only thing I recommend you watch is the coolant consumption and color. A worn head gasket, cracked engine block, or cracked head could cause antifreeze/coolant to enter the oil system. Check to see if you are losing antifreeze over time or if the antifreeze is also contaminated with oil. You can have your car's fluids tested at a lab to confirm the diagnosis. Another sign is excessive white smoke coming from the tailpipe.
White smoke is never a good sign.

Agree with the above. This is likely a defect. Good thing you have it on your service history in case others crack outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0