BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

10-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Prior C6 Z06 owners, need some advice

Good evening guys! Been pretty involved with this forum for the last year and a half since I took ownership of my M3. My automobile situation was a bit different when i purchased my M3, I needed a sedan for a DD and some practicality. I now have a mazda CX5 for a daily, and no need for back seats.

I did not plan on tracking my M3 when i bought it, but after my first few track days I am hooked. Love driving the thing on the track, but I am astonished at how different these cars on the track.

As I have absolutely loved the car and it's been on my "list of cars to own", i finally have an opportunity to own another one of my dream cars. 09 Z06 3LZ for right at 33k. Pretty tough to not go for it.

Before we get into the interior is crap debate, the 3LZ is livable, specially with some added carbon bits and upgraded head unit. I plan to replace the seats with some recaros, or some corbeaus I am also aware of the LS7 head issue that needs addressing as soon as i get into the car. I'm prepared to DIY the heads, so that is not a factor in purchasing.

This will not be my daily, as stated above. It is simply for weekend, and track use only, maybe 10-12 days per year. I would like to take the car on a 1200 mile road trip as well.

While I do realize this is a BMW forum, I am looking for some input from the guys who have spent some time with the Z06, do you regret selling it, or vise versa, regret selling your M3? I figure with the way M3 prices are falling, if i hate driving the Z for an extended time, i can always get back into an M3 without losing my ass.

Thanks in advance guys!
      10-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
amolaver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 Space Gray

I'll preface this by saying I haven't owned a vette but i have driven a bunch of them on track including c5 z06, c6 both non and z06, and a c7 non z06. Almost no street miles though.

On the street, m3, at least for me. Interior feels special, ride is compliant but sporty and it is a truly practical 'fun car'. On the track, no comparison. The c6 z06 is a track beast with tremendous aftermarket support for whatever weak links you might find. Parts are also dramatically cheaper. The c6 interior isn't terrible but nowhere near as nice an e9x m3 imo. Neither cars seats are really track oriented although stock to stock I prefer the m's. It seems 'normal' to put fixed race seats in the vette but seems wrong to me to do the same to the m. Makes no sense, I know.

With stock (magneto rheological) suspension, z06 is both more compliant on the street and MUCH better on track. I never drove the early non MR suspension cars. If you can afford to keep tires and brakes on it, it is a monstrous track weapon. Also makes great noise with an exhaust although it's easy to overdo that on a street driven car. Exhaust prices for the m are stupid - people paying 3-6k for a cat-back are bonkers.

Bottom line to me is how much track vs street time. Mostly track? Vette without question. 10k+ street miles a year? M3 no question. 12 track days a year is kind of a middle ground to me and a tough call. I'd probably lean vette and after a year or two make it a dedicated track car.

In all seriousness, either car on track is fast - don't neglect safety gear. 10+ days a year, I'd want at least a rear half cage if not full monty + harnesses.

ahm
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolaver View Post
I'll preface this by saying I haven't owned a vette but i have driven a bunch of them on track including c5 z06, c6 both non and z06, and a c7 non z06. Almost no street miles though.

On the street, m3, at least for me. Interior feels special, ride is compliant but sporty and it is a truly practical 'fun car'. On the track, no comparison. The c6 z06 is a track beast with tremendous aftermarket support for whatever weak links you might find. Parts are also dramatically cheaper. The c6 interior isn't terrible but nowhere near as nice an e9x m3 imo. Neither cars seats are really track oriented although stock to stock I prefer the m's. It seems 'normal' to put fixed race seats in the vette but seems wrong to me to do the same to the m. Makes no sense, I know.

With stock (magneto rheological) suspension, z06 is both more compliant on the street and MUCH better on track. I never drove the early non MR suspension cars. If you can afford to keep tires and brakes on it, it is a monstrous track weapon. Also makes great noise with an exhaust although it's easy to overdo that on a street driven car. Exhaust prices for the m are stupid - people paying 3-6k for a cat-back are bonkers.

Bottom line to me is how much track vs street time. Mostly track? Vette without question. 10k+ street miles a year? M3 no question. 12 track days a year is kind of a middle ground to me and a tough call. I'd probably lean vette and after a year or two make it a dedicated track car.

In all seriousness, either car on track is fast - don't neglect safety gear. 10+ days a year, I'd want at least a rear half cage if not full monty + harnesses.

ahm
Thanks for the reply! I did forget to add that My m3 is pretty well setup with MCS/ BBK / tune / exhaust and some other track oriented goodies. Already pretty much "done" with the car. But, with all my stock parts on hand i can get most of the money back towards the vette and some goodies.

Spot on about making it safety track worthy, although i could NOT bring myself to do seats and a cage in the M3, it loses all sorts of value VERY quickly. That is pretty much my last remaining step with the M is seats and a cage, but again this is not the car to do it with. I can say that with confidence, lol.
      10-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Get the vette. The drivetrain is obviously a step up, it is lighter, dry sump, better brakes, and cheaper to fix the small things. It does have a aluminum frame compared to the GS, which i imagine is not as easy to fix if you put it into the wall. There are solutions for the interior if you plan to street drive extensively.
Move Over1258.00
      10-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Get the vette. The drivetrain is obviously a step up, it is lighter, dry sump, better brakes, and cheaper to fix the small things. It does have a aluminum frame compared to the GS, which i imagine is not as easy to fix if you put it into the wall. There are solutions for the interior if you plan to street drive extensively.
Track insurance will take care of the "wall" scenario which I hope I never cross.

I'm planning on new seats, harnesses and some interior bits to make it more livable
      10-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

I haven't driven the c6 z06 on the track, but have sat in a couple. If it's track-dedicated, I'd say go for the z06. You can go bonkers on the track without much additional effort. Plus, from what I've been told from those who made the switch from an M3 to z06, it's also cheaper to maintain.
Appreciate 1
Move Over1258.00
      10-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Get the Z06. Trust me, you will absolutely love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
Bushum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

The 3LZ is definitely a step up. I had the 2LZ and it ticked me off every time I got in the car. You walk up to this beautiful car that looks like it came straight off of a racetrack and then get in to find terrible seats and a steering wheel out of an Impala. I will say that replacing the seats and getting a flat bottom wheel (can't remember the guy that makes them but check Corvette forums) changes my feelings about the interior. The performance is absolutely amazing. The M3 seems slow in comparison. I enjoy the M3 more overall but I do not track. My car needs to hold a baby and be driven year round. In your situation I would choose the Z06 without question. It's also a great road trip car. A car with 500 HP that can do 30 MPG is pretty impressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:19 PM   #9
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Good timing, there's a new member intro thread in the General section from a previous C6 Z06 owner. You should ping him for some proper input:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318717

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 06:00 AM   #10
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Man, the guys on the corvette forum are DICKS! Gonna miss you guys. Lol
      10-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Z06vette is full of guys who are not brand whores. Quite a few road race, time trial, autox seriously.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Take care of the top end of the motor. I can't remember exactly what it needs but I think it's the heads and something else that needs upgrading to avoid failure. Z06 is formidable!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0